The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RCandrew

Why has the smiler closed at least once everyday for the past 3 days? I go on Tuesday and hope its open!
lucy2244

RCandrew wrote: Why has the smiler closed at least once everyday for the past 3 days? I go on Tuesday and hope its open!
This is the question I have. Surely 3 days in a row is no coincidence?
But did it just shut today because they didn't want queues throughout the concert, so shut the queue off meaning the ride could close at an acceptable time and people could go to the concert? Sonic Spinball was also closed and these where the 2 rides with the highest queue before they closed. Could that have been the reason?
djedwardsmith

Frankly baffled that on a gorgeous day like today there's people sat in probably spam-refreshing ride-times and waiting to see if The Smiler is closed so they can post on here and ask about it.
bbooth2

In the queue, it's stalled on the v-lift  for about 5 minutes now :/
bbooth2

They just lowered it and sent it back up, must of just been Testing for evacs
SmileyMan

bbooth2 wrote: They just lowered it and sent it back up, must of just been Testing for evacs
Very usual occurrence. Happens a lot :)
RCandrew

lucy2244 wrote:
RCandrew wrote: Why has the smiler closed at least once everyday for the past 3 days? I go on Tuesday and hope its open!
This is the question I have. Surely 3 days in a row is no coincidence?
But did it just shut today because they didn't want queues throughout the concert, so shut the queue off meaning the ride could close at an acceptable time and people could go to the concert? Sonic Spinball was also closed and these where the 2 rides with the highest queue before they closed. Could that have been the reason?
That's exactly what I thought! If a 3 hour queue shut at the same time as the rest, the people wouldn't get out until 8:30 and would miss a lot of the concert!
RCandrew

djedwardsmith wrote: Frankly baffled that on a gorgeous day like today there's people sat in probably spam-refreshing ride-times and waiting to see if The Smiler is closed so they can post on here and ask about it.
Actually I'm going in 2 days so I've checked ride times (even when out in the sun, I have a phone you know) a lot to see when is busiest etc and have noticed the smiler shut 3 times towards the end of the day now, so I know I should go on it in the morning to not miss it ;)
DONT LOOK DOWN

Sorry for going off the discussion topic right now, but on the 28-29th of September there is a discount for all youth groups (Scouts, Guides etc) so I would expect more people there with the discount as the explanation.
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
TheSmiler1998

I got a coupon of a box of fruit and fibre for a free adult ticket so it's a win win for me! Healthy bowels and free smiler :)
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Themeparksandy1981

DONT_LOOK_DOWN! wrote: Sorry for going off the discussion topic right now, but on the 28-29th of September there is a discount for all youth groups (Scouts, Guides etc) so I would expect more people there with the discount as the explanation.
I was wondering how my work mates kids got tickets and transport for £25 each.

Moderated for 'text speak' ~Michelle
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

TheSmiler1998 wrote: I got a coupon of a box of fruit and fibre for a free adult ticket so it's a win win for me! Healthy bowels and free smiler :)
If that's the Kellog's offer, then it's actually 2for1 and not literally just a free ticket,
Danny

No I got a free adult ticket too as long as there is a fully paying child
lucy2244

djedwardsmith wrote: Frankly baffled that on a gorgeous day like today there's people sat in probably spam-refreshing ride-times and waiting to see if The Smiler is closed so they can post on here and ask about it.
I would if I could- but it only updates every half an hour ;)
Owen

danny.g97 wrote: No I got a free adult ticket too as long as there is a fully paying child
Two for one then!

On Friday The Smiler was closed from around 11 to 4, open all day on Saturday and Sunday, the mist station effect only worked on Friday and Saturday and now the disabled lift is operational.
Last edited by Owen on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Thrillmad wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: No I got a free adult ticket too as long as there is a fully paying child
Two for one then!
Exactly, that's what people were arguing over in the first place
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac359

Not a busy day on park at all, The Smiler only on a 70 minute queue :moj :D
Liam B

question to the people who have start queuing from ERT how long is the wait for you?
RCandrew

I've made a small collage here that shows today's queues every hour, it seems the smiler isn't as busy today and at 4:00 was only 60 minutes!

http://s9.postimg.org/uz4wl1dhr/image.jpg
AndreJD

RCandrew wrote: I've made a small collage here that shows today's queues every hour, it seems the smiler isn't as busy today and at 4:00 was only 60 minutes!

http://s9.postimg.org/uz4wl1dhr/image.jpg
Awesome! Will you be making one for the next few days? It's really cool and helpful.