The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SonicChips

Lucieloo wrote: At the end of the day it says "dont use photography" so people caught doing it are breaking the rules. Simple as that!
I don't think it's allowed at any part of the day; start, middle or end. It's a bit late to only say that at the end of the day.

(To pre-emp any potential argumentative responses: I understand that Lucieloo was using a common "turn of phrase" - my fingers have just automatically notched into autopilot and produced their facetious little notion.)

Anyway, I don't wanna play here unless I'm making some sort of fabled effort to contribute, at least on some semi intelectual level, to the conversation. Genreal discussion hmmmm....... Now the ride is up and running and many of us have had the pleasure of being brutally thrown around by this little marmalade spaghetti arachnid, how do we find (wait the obsurity of the question) the colour. It's wasp coloured, yeah scary bzzzzz bzzzzz et cetera. Yellow has been sciteficvally reserached or proven (I'm not sure how in depth it goes) that it's a mental colour. It makes you think more or something.

I don't think people see yellow and go "hmm, interesting how the theoretical movement of particle anomolies can diverge the intersectional prismatic effect of a tortoise"; that's too much, clearly. But do we think the black and yellow does anything toward the feeling of overall presence of the ride.....?

Peace! ......... (and meh)
GigaSurimi

So is the Smiler now running perfectly smoothly?
Any late morning testing or closing due to teething problems anymore?

Also, is the "dueling" just a coincidence (apparently it does happen when two trains leave the v-lift and the first lift at the same time) or is it meant to be a feature of the ride? If so, does it happen a lot or just randomly?
dazza4783

GigaSurimi wrote: So is the Smiler now running perfectly smoothly?
Any late morning testing or closing due to teething problems anymore?

Also, is the "dueling" just a coincidence (apparently it does happen when two trains leave the v-lift and the first lift at the same time) or is it meant to be a feature of the ride? If so, does it happen a lot or just randomly?
I don't think there has ever been any confirmation regarding the dueling, although just going by the design and how the track interacts with itself then i would say it was designed to "duel" if the timing is right for when the trains leave the 2 lifts. It's tough to get the timing exactly spot on though, especially when you think that the vertical lift is shorter (in length, not height) than the normal lift.
ATJordan

Finally rode the smiler today!  :lol:

I honestly was considering not, I was freaking out about the queue over my claustrophobia but the queue wasn't bad at all. I queued single rider with my three mates- we all got on the same cart, and I was sitting next to one of them. The SRQ was large, however, at around 1-1.5hrs.

Alls I can say is that it is amazing, especially the first drop and heart line roll which I wasn't prepared for despite seeing a POV. I had front row, and it was a very smooth ride with only a slight jolt on the second half of the cobra roll and the first of the double heart line.

Although the smiler was great, the rest of the day was pretty bad- along with the smiler, I only got on 13, the blade and ripsaw.  :evil:
JayTricky

ATJordan wrote: Finally rode the smiler today!  :lol:

I honestly was considering not, I was freaking out about the queue over my claustrophobia but the queue wasn't bad at all. I queued single rider with my three mates- we all got on the same cart, and I was sitting next to one of them. The SRQ was large, however, at around 1-1.5hrs.
I think it's a bit unfair when people queuing the SRQ get to sit together. Very sneaky.
Krazycoaster

JayTricky wrote:

I think it's a bit unfair when people queuing the SRQ get to sit together. Very sneaky.
In all honesty, it's not unfair; the sign outside the queue states that the single rider queue is for groups who are willing to split up so it's nobody's fault if a staff member puts two of them together. :D
JayTricky

Krazycoaster wrote:
JayTricky wrote:

In all honesty, it's not unfair; the sign outside the queue states that the single rider queue is for groups who are willing to split up so it's nobody's fault if a staff member puts two of them together. :D
I agree with you. What I meant is when it's done on purpose. I've seen it happen all the time. It's called single rider for a reason.
ATJordan

JayTricky wrote:

We didn't intend to sit together, we just got on the same train together. By coincidence.
Lee

Guys, this isn't a topic about the SRQ system.

Back on topic ;)
AidanCKY

Finally got a couple of rides on the Smiler today!

Very pleased with it overall, the queueline is interesting, the indoors area is quite clever and unique, the station is simple but atmospheric, the ride itself is intense, my favourite bit was the airtime hills. Last 2 inversions were a bit jarring.

Didn't notice any breakdowns today. Did notice the wheels are still squeeling around the track and visually you can see the polyurethane on the rear wheels is very worn - unevenly.

I also was shocked to see the price of Smiler hoodies in black - £32!!! Insanity!
DeanGaryCox

Going tomorrow, I've read through this forum and can't make my mind up for myself... what do you reckon the best time to try and get on the ride is? get there in the early ride time 9-10 which I don't have any access to rides then with my tickets, just queue in the middle of the day, or get there at the end of the day before they close the queues (risking that it might break down by then and be closed)?

thanks.
Image 2014
tbag23

The Smiler is not included in the early ride time is it? Unless you mean start queuing up for it when the park opens for early ride time.
Kirsty25

DeanGaryCox wrote: Going tomorrow, I've read through this forum and can't make my mind up for myself... what do you reckon the best time to try and get on the ride is? get there in the early ride time 9-10 which I don't have any access to rides then with my tickets, just queue in the middle of the day, or get there at the end of the day before they close the queues (risking that it might break down by then and be closed)?

thanks.
I went first thing and queued 90mins but was 7th car out of the station. Queued same length of time from 4.30, didn't try middle of the day!
DeanGaryCox

to be honest, i wouldn't bother queueing in the middle of the day... but has it generally been opening at 10 recently? or breaking down a lot towards the end of the day?
Image 2014
Kirsty25

DeanGaryCox wrote: to be honest, i wouldn't bother queueing in the middle of the day... but has it generally been opening at 10 recently? or breaking down a lot towards the end of the day?
I've not heard of any major delays with opening the smiler nor many problems during the day *touch wood* but I'm sure you're aware that there's no guarantees unfortunately. There's been a little downtime during the day that I've heard but nothing that hasn't been quickly rectified.
DeanGaryCox

yeah i understand there's no guarantees haha, just presuming it's most likely going to be similar to previous days.... i understand disappointment after going on the apparent opening day, so was glad i had planned to go tomorrow as well - touch wood it is open :)
Image 2014
Kirsty25

DeanGaryCox wrote: yeah i understand there's no guarantees haha, just presuming it's most likely going to be similar to previous days.... i understand disappointment after going on the apparent opening day, so was glad i had planned to go tomorrow as well - touch wood it is open :)
I would queue first thing and maybe go back at the end of the day...or do some midday single rider ;)
DeanGaryCox

my friend wouldn't want to do single rider... i did forget about fast tracks, might try and get one first thing before they sell out, and then if i do/don't get one, decide what to do, maybe even do first thing and last thing... thanks for your advice :)
Image 2014
kingbling11

Kirsty25 wrote: I went first thing and queued 90mins but was 7th car out of the station. Queued same length of time from 4.30, didn't try middle of the day!
You say first thing was that 9 or 10? If you joined at 9 i take it that means you technically only queued 30 mins after it opened?

Getting there at 10 what do people think the queue time will be like?

Also how accurate are the time boards? If it says 2 hrs are you queueing 2 hrs?

Finally when do Fasttracks tend to sell out?

Going on Sunday so want to minimise the wait on what is inevitably the busiest ride on park :)

Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Why are the lifts set up different on The Smiler? they are a bit like Rita's launch system.