The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
pittster2013

We've just got home and I have rode the smiler! Will post some photos in the review section for those who are interested.

Loved it, won't comment on much of the ride as I'm not a proper roller-coaster buff so don't really know what I'm talking about but it was very good, although we still feel a bit nauseous from it! Lots of turns and seems to go on forever!

We bought a fast track slot for midday and it was well worth it.
Will1997

The smiler is fantastic but awfully rough! You don't need to buy a fast track as the single rider queue only took 40 mins including a 20 min technical fault! My advice don't buy a fast track. The normal queue was 3 hours all day! As the day went on more people used the single rider queue because of how quick it was. I rode the smiler 4 times today and still managed to do air, nemesis and Rita. Would have done oblivion but closed!
tworandom

So i've been on the park for the last 3 days and writing from splash landings and i have to say the smiler is a epic ride, yes the transition on the 3rd to last invert is a little rough but once you know about it and brace its no worse then any point on nemesis. And I would say fastracks are a mistake the atmosphere in the queue,is brilliant. Ive notice around every 2 hours there is around a 20 min stoppage, including while we was waiting  outside the station and the only alarming thing about it is that no member of staff came out the station or shouted at us to reassure us.
also around 6-7ish last night there was an employee of the ride manufacturer watching the ride from the catwalk by the first hill lift. He seemed to be watching both lifts plus the timing of the lifts. Apologies for the post not making alot of sense ive been on the sauce since five
pittster2013

I'd rather have two hours on the rest of the park than experience a queue atmosphere but I guess that's just me!
SmileyMan

tworandom wrote: So i've been on the park for the last 3 days and writing from splash landings and i have to say the smiler is a epic ride, yes the transition on the 3rd to last invert is a little rough but once you know about it and brace its no worse then any point on nemesis. And I would say fastracks are a mistake the atmosphere in the queue,is brilliant. Ive notice around every 2 hours there is around a 20 min stoppage, including while we was waiting  outside the station and the only alarming thing about it is that no member of staff came out the station or shouted at us to reassure us.
also around 6-7ish last night there was an employee of the ride manufacturer watching the ride from the catwalk by the first hill lift. He seemed to be watching both lifts plus the timing of the lifts. Apologies for the post not making alot of sense ive been on the sauce since five
Maybe they are trying to get the timing even better, and make the dueling better, as it only happens once every so often :)
Lee

SmileyMan wrote: Maybe they are trying to get the timing even better, and make the dueling better, as it only happens once every so often :)
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the duelling wasn't actually planned and was just a stroke of luck every x amount of circuits.
tallicay2k

Lee James wrote:
SmileyMan wrote: Maybe they are trying to get the timing even better, and make the dueling better, as it only happens once every so often :)
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the duelling wasn't actually planned and was just a stroke of luck every x amount of circuits.
I agree with you lee James, I thought it was just pure luck and happens every so often. Pretty impressive when it does mind you.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Griff

Stood in the queue for smiler, next to the corner of the towers behind the huge group of bushes. At least its been testing today.
Bit annoyed I'm surrounded by smokers clearly not giving a crap for rules or other people.  But can't do anything about other people ignorance.

Hopefully its now open and we'll be moving shortly. :-)

10.44 am -- Heading into station now, so about an hour queue for us, ish.
Although the queue grew as soon as we joined it and it was up towards the towers entrance at 10.
Must say, it's looking awesome from the queue underneath it.

EDIT: Please don't double post. Posts merged.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam_ph777

Griff wrote: Heading into station now, so about an hour queue for us, ish.
Although the queue grew as soon as we joined it and it was up towards the towers entrance at 10.
Must say, it's looking awesome from the queue underneath it.
What time did you join the queue at?
BenLodewyks

Ridetimes is showing 90 minutes now, why is Oblivion still closed? :(
The Smiler is just so awesome, the music, the story, i love it!
Im planning to make the ultimate rct3 remake.. :)
Griff

Joined the queue at about 9.50 near the big bush at the towers, ad was at the station building in about an hour.
Oblivion still off, but no idea why.

Seems there's bigger queues for Rita and 13 than there is for the smiler. 120 mins for 13 apparently.
Chaz

Venturing off topic here (sorry) but Oblivion is still closed as it is not fixed yet. Rumors are something needed replacing in the gearbox and a new part has now arrived, so I assume testing will begin again shortly (I hope).

Back on The Smiler, going again on Sunday so hope to get my 2nd/3rd/4th ride on The Smiler :)
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Lee

For discussion on Oblivions current downtime, please check out http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... june-2013/

Back to The Smiler ;)
Jmurphy55

Currently in the SRQ!
Well excited!
Shame Oblivion is still down but this thing looks insane!
lucy2244

Is the smiler opening on time each morning now? Only I wonder if it is reaching its maximum throughput?
Alex.D

^ probably not, unless they have got that odd train fixed yet... And they would have to fill the trains and time dispatches correctly. That isn't going to happen with frequent breakdowns ect. I am still yet to get corrected. :(
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
JamieH93

Opened at bang on 10 yesterday so hopefully will today too :)
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
upgraiden

Going tomorrow, not sure whether to go down first thing at 9am or last thing at 5pm...has it been opening on time recently?
Chaz

upgraiden wrote: Going tomorrow, not sure whether to go down first thing at 9am or last thing at 5pm...has it been opening on time recently?
Not to jinx anything but yes, it has.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
undeadarmy

W@LLI$ wrote:
Ditto. I wanna know. I'm going 3rd July.
I'll see you there!
[/quote]

I'll see you and Joshysquashy, if he stays long enough!