The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Luce

We censored the photos because AT wanted to keep the inversion record secret :)
Chaz

Luce wrote: We censored the photos because AT wanted to keep the inversion record secret :)
As the Chinese had their own plans.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
RCD27

Had my first ride yesterday and it was fantastic! After seeing what looked like a short queue for the ride we thought we would be on it in 30 mins. Just over 2 hours later I got my first taste of the beast and I wasn't disappointed.

The indoor inversion is very intense and come's out of no where. I knew it was coming but it still surprised me, then while you wait at the bottom of the lift you realise how big it is. The ride was very smooth apart from the final 3 inversions. Got off and my head was spinning would of loved to go on again but we couldn't be bothered waiting in the queue again and the single rider queue was closed due to it being the same length as the normal queue.

I would recommend leaving it until the last ride of the day unless you get there early!

I posted some pictures on my Twitter @domJlucas, saves me posting them all on here
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
Gax

Guys, take a step back, nobody is hiding anything from 'The Chinese'...

I think the idea is that Alton Towers wanted to keep the 14 inversions of The Smiler a secret from the public, in a similar manner to how Oblivions vertical drop was kept a secret of sorts. This is quite apparent through press releases and news reports which we have seen since the official unveiling of the 14 inversion record. If there had been photos of the hidden barrel roll circulating the internet at the early part of this year then that would have put a halt to this marketing strategy from the Towers and therefore the pictures were requested to be altered.
SonicChips

I love forums - always ready to receive a good ol' argument! "Roar!"

(I'm not IN love with forums - I used the term loosely.)

I'm wondering, is this jigger about the first (or "final" if you ride the thing back to front) inversion really THAT important to be posting about in a manner which perceives rather pragmatically as angry or stern? It was hidden because 'option a', 'option b' et cetera. I asked about this months ago and was met with a general consensus that it was to "hide" the inversion record as the other 13 aren't immediately visible from the plans. I asked as a curiosity so don't care if the reason or respose was that it was hidden because a small army of origami leprichauns have been hired to glue the track together with their urine. To me, it doesn't matter. It was hidden but now it's known (to those who have ridden), and it's fun.

Oh and about the refernce about"hiding from the Chinese" - surely that was a reference to well known phrase "Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?" - from the Calgon softener adverts, if you'd like a li'l fact of the day!

As always (for those who haven't reads my ker-scnizzlings before), take it with a pinch of salt. (Not literally, it tastes baaaaaad.)
zenith

Ready_23 wrote: Well if you wrote it that way wouldnt it be the 3rd to last inversion then as the chinese one has 11 so the 12th would take the crown.
This was to be my next question. If it's one inversion inside the station and the other 13 are visible anyway how does hiding 1 inversion "hide" the record when the last record holder was (and currently still is) only 10 inversions?
mikecloud1984

Please remember that we knew nothing about either inverted drop or the sea-serpant before the supports went up - it was only then that we twigged it would be a record holder.
Chaz

mikecloud1984 wrote: Please remember that we knew nothing about either inverted drop or the sea-serpant before the supports went up - it was only then that we twigged it would be a record holder.
Indeed, the approved planning applications had an 'edited layout'; of which did not show all the inversions, just the track path.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
mikecloud1984

Chaz wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote: Please remember that we knew nothing about either inverted drop or the sea-serpant before the supports went up - it was only then that we twigged it would be a record holder.
Indeed, the approved planning applications had an 'edited layout'; of which did not show all the inversions, just the track path.
How many inversions were on the original "edited" plans?
Katherine

mikecloud1984 wrote:
Chaz wrote:
8/9 inversions.
mikecloud1984

Kathy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:
Chaz wrote: Indeed, the approved planning applications had an 'edited layout'; of which did not show all the inversions, just the track path.
8/9 inversions.
If they were showing 10 inversions, I can understand why AT asked for the (then) 11th to be hidden - but if they were only shoing 8/9 why were the photos censored?
astralAndy

DRDREDD wrote:
And it is commonly known what relationship TT have with Towers - None! Nada! Zilch!
TT aren't officially linked to Alton Towers, but they do have some kind of working relationship - which is obvious. They have personally contacted TT with exclusive news tid-bits in the past, have given TT merchandise and goodies for comps etc - they scratch each others backs. Nobody's saying they're best buddies, but to say they have no kind of relationship is incorrect.
Last edited by astralAndy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

astralAndy wrote:
DRDREDD wrote:
And it is commonly known what relationship TT have with Towers - None! Nada! Zilch!
TT aren't officially linked to Alton Towers, but they do have some kind of working relationship - which is obvious. They have personally contacted TT with exclusive news tid-bits in the past, have given TT merchandise and goodies for comps etc - they scratch each others backs. Nobody's saying they're best buddies, but to say they have no kind of relationship is incorrect.
Completely agree.

A musician will have their official and unofficial fan clubs - to which they will provide tidbits and merch to both to keep ALL fans happy.

Why would AT not want TT to exist or have a relationship with them? It's free advertising!
dazza4783

mikecloud1984 wrote:
Kathy wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote: How many inversions were on the original "edited" plans?
8/9 inversions.
If they were showing 10 inversions, I can understand why AT asked for the (then) 11th to be hidden - but if they were only shoing 8/9 why were the photos censored?
Because it would have been a bit too obvious if they started censoring things that would be out in full view once the ride was open, it would be pretty obvious that it was inversions that they were censoring then. With the inside section no-one knew exactly what was going to be down there, so they censored that to keep up the debate that there may be something special down there that the world first could be. That is why it was covered up.
RubyGaga

Lost my smiler virginity today! Was the best experience I've had on a ride! Also the queue was only 60 mins today at 10 :) the staff were nice too! The lady at the front of the ride said there was no queue line for the front row, but she said she would save us a couple of seats on it! Rode front row :)
It broke down for about 20 mins at lunch. Nobody seemed to be smiling then!
Also what's up with the glass floor? :s

Image ImageImageImage
JamieH93

Really hope the weather picks up before I go, i wont be pleased if its throwing it down when i go. (I doubt anyone is when they go)

Id dont fancy riding the smiler in the rain, if it opens, the rain might derail a train.
Last edited by JamieH93 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
dazza4783

RubyGaga wrote: Lost my smiler virginity today! Was the best experience I've had on a ride! Also the queue was only 60 mins today at 10 :) the staff were nice too! The lady at the front of the ride said there was no queue line for the front row, but she said she would save us a couple of seats on it! Rode front row :)
Did the ride open at 10 today, will be there tomorrow so trying to get an idea as to whether or not it will open on time tomorrow.
hursty

Hi,

Some photos from yesterday.
Having carried more kit for the Monday when it stalled - I kept it light and didn't take much kit yesterday.
Obviously it opened! So here's the photos from a rather damp & grey day.
I will be back with my full kit - hopefully when it's sunnier.

Nervous wait in the morning...

Luckily...

Pit

Bat Wing / Cobra

Permission to share the above on any Alton Towers based forum, on the basis you link back to my name and TowersTimes.

DM me for any special usage.

Smile. Sometimes.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Amazing photos as usual Hursty.

Just to clear up the situation with us blocking out the early photos of the interior inversion because it's getting a little silly. We were contacted by the Alton Towers Resort and we had a lengthy discussion about our aerial coverage. We agreed with them to cover over the indoor inversion and anything not shown on the plans at the time.

We do work with The Alton Towers Resort, not in any official capacity of course but as fans of the park we like to maintain a healthy working relationship. The majority of major fansites work in this way. Our coverage of any new ride is always coordinated in such a way so that whilst we continue to provide exclusives and push the boundaries, we try not to negatively impact the marketing plans and operations of the theme park itself.

I would politely request that any further 'concerns' aimed at TowersTimes in this manner are kept off the forum and instead directed to the team as an email or personal message. That way we can explain without having to derail the topic any further. :)
darkainur

dazza4783 wrote:
RubyGaga wrote: Lost my smiler virginity today! Was the best experience I've had on a ride! Also the queue was only 60 mins today at 10 :) the staff were nice too! The lady at the front of the ride said there was no queue line for the front row, but she said she would save us a couple of seats on it! Rode front row :)
Did the ride open at 10 today, will be there tomorrow so trying to get an idea as to whether or not it will open on time tomorrow.
It seemed to open on time. Maybe a 10 min delay. The current exterior queue system is a mess so its hard to tell when you're in it.