The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ollie16

Train 4.1
What he said.
zenith

Danny wrote: Taken from TT News:

Alton Towers latest rollercoaster, The Smiler opened over a week ago. With the immense amount of positive reviews clearly outweighing the negative, The Smiler has been a massive hit to guests of the resort.  It was therefore only going to be a short amount of time before fastrack was introduced for the ride.

Fastrack isn't normally introduced for a brand new ride until later on in the season, much like Thirteen when it opened in 2010. However, the sheer popularity of The Smiler [which has lead to three hour queues and the ride having to close at 8pm on some days] has seen the introduction of Fastrack for the ride.

With regards to the Fastrack, TowersTimes have approached Liz Greenwood at the Resort, who has had this to say:

"We have introduced very limited numbers of Fastracks for The Smiler to help us manage the queue line more effectively – ie, by opening the Fastrack line we can take some people out of the overflow area.  We’re very much reviewing it on a daily basis to ensure we get the balance right."

At present, only a certain amount of Fastracks for The Smiler are being sold each hour, so they sell out very quickly!

In other news however, The Smiler has stalled yet again, this time for the third occasion. On both previous occasions, a train has 'valleyed' on the batwing element of the ride circuit. The last stall, which occurred last week, saw an unweighted train stop in the centre, and had to be removed by a crane. There was speculation that the lack of weight caused the train to be stopped. It was also noted that the yellow wheel covers were removed from all trains after this incident. Thankfully, The Smiler opened the next day.

Unfortunately the third time hasn't been so lucky with a ride vehicle, this time with weighted dummies as it came to a halt on the batwing. It is believed that the rides computer system caused the trim brakes on the first airtime hill to be applied unnecessarily, causing the vehicle to come to a halt. A crane is currently on site to remove the stalled vehicle, and X Sector will remain open to the guests, something which hasn't happened on the past two occasions.

Liz Greenwood went on to inform TowersTimes that Alton Towers are working closely with Gerstlauer in order to rectify the problem. We will have information regarding The Smiler opening again as soon as we get it.
If this is from a reliable source I think it's pretty safe to say for certain now that:
1. This was never a train issue but a brake issue.
2. They lift the train off the track with a crane rather than pull it round, to me that would see absurd anyway.

Chances are if they are able to do this while leaving X-Sector open, people will be able to witness it first hand.
Rob
Admin
Admin

I believe the crane pulls the car though the track.

You can't get a better source than Alton Towers themself.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Rob-TT wrote: I believe the crane pulls the car though the track.

Although most people say that it is taken off, I think this may depend on what the issue is. Obviously if it is an issue with the train, then it cannot be pulled through the track as this may result in further damage to the train and track.

However, as on this occasion it is a computer and trim problem, they should be able to pull the train back up to the previous high point and release it from there, as it should be able to complete the next inversions and get to the  block. I can't see them pulling it completely around the track (to the vertical lift hill) with just one crane.
mike_roller

How can you even know if it was Trim Brake issue, how could someone even determine that? It just seems like speculation for the sake of speculation.
zenith

lewis97 wrote:
Rob-TT wrote: I believe the crane pulls the car though the track.

Although most people say that it is taken off, I think this may depend on what the issue is. Obviously if it is an issue with the train, then it cannot be pulled through the track as this may result in further damage to the train and track.

However, as on this occasion it is a computer and trim problem, they should be able to pull the train back up to the previous high point and release it from there, as it should be able to complete the next inversions and get to the  block. I can't see them pulling it completely around the track (to the vertical lift hill) with just one crane.
I agree. Hard to tell really if this has been the issue every time it's stalled as last Tuesday we saw a train being carted away from X-Sector but also a the trains did go round a number of times all noticeably slow before the 4th or 5th train eventually stalled. If it was anything more serious than a computer glitch I feel they wouldn't have opened the ride the rest of the week.
Adam

We know because the resort has told us this.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Richardio123

Yeah the airtime hills braking system does look really complicated.. well not terribly complicated but it does look prone to errors. you can see when your queueing for The Smiler! Hopefully they get this sorted soon. Glad I already got corrected though. :)
:moj :moj
Signature Pending.. ;D
Heisenberg96

I thought I'd be missing out seeing as how I haven't been on TTF this week due to exams...looks like all I missed out on was MORE valleying.

1st time is ok, 2nd time a serious issue, 3rd time is just plain inexcusable.
Danny

On this occasion it appears to be less serious. A computer fault is a regular occurrence on any coaster, it just had to happen on the sodding trim brakes which really aren't needed on that section. Either they fix the computer, or just remove all the brakes on the first airtime hill completely.
mike_roller

Adam wrote: We know because the resort has told us this.
Fair enough but then why not write that in your article.

"It is believed that the rides computer system caused the trim brakes on the first airtime hill to be applied unnecessarily, causing the vehicle to come to a halt" just sounds like speculation.
The Psychoaster

mike_roller wrote:
Adam wrote: We know because the resort has told us this.
Fair enough but then why not write that in your article.

"It is believed that the rides computer system caused the trim brakes on the first airtime hill to be applied unnecessarily, causing the vehicle to come to a halt" just sounds like speculation.
It then goes on to say "Liz Greenwood went on to inform TowersTimes that Alton Towers are working closely with Gerstlauer in order to rectify the problem."

Pretty clear that it came from the resort.
Ryster

In the queue for sub terrible right now, maybe itll open at the end of the day, stranger things have happened.
AidanCKY

I'm at the park now. Signs all over the park and staff.telling everyone it's not opening today. Looks like they're lifting the cars off the track instead of a pull through. Very disappointed
tallicay2k

And so the "is it the train or is it the track?" Dispute starts again.
Jeez, sick of it.
Just read the TT article and be happy.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
sweedish2009

To top things off I'm currently waiting in queue for a now 'broken down' Oblivion. Guest services, I hope your prepared for me
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
dazza4783

tallicay2k wrote: And so the "is it the train or is it the track?" Dispute starts again.
Jeez, sick of it.
Just read the TT article and be happy.
It's neither, it's the trims. Another case of trims spoiling rides.
JW599

sweedish2009 wrote: To top things off I'm currently waiting in queue for a now 'broken down' Oblivion. Guest services, I hope your prepared for me
Probably someone trying to take a pic of the stalled smiler on-ride - they stop the whole thing for about 15mins if they catch anyone with a camera.
GigaSurimi

Geez, this coaster is a mess! I hope they sort everything out very quickly. It's as bad for AT as it is for the guests.
I agree with whoever said that they should just completely close it (and make an announcement about it) until they fully test it - they can then make another announcement to inform that it is ready and open forever. Seems like now it's all just down to luck for the guests, that is very disappointing.