The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JamieH93

RCandrew wrote: I think the smiler queue times will now start to die down, but still be the longest in the park.
And the park will still be really busy from now through summer! Cant wait, just 4 weeks for me :D
I hope they have died down a little haha :)
i go a week tomorrow, im like a little kid with excitement
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
lucasdessers

The Smiler is now having a 90 minutes queue! The queue was never this empty! Ride if you can :D
me, myself and alton towers
Adam

I'm planning to have a cheeky first ride on this beast tomorrow morning. Hopefully the queues will be short enough to get a few goes before I have to leave the park around 12ish.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Jmurphy55

Can anyone explain to me why the Smiler is opening at 11:30am every day and not when the park opens as al the other rides do?
Just really annoying as I don't want to wait in a queue for 3 hours just to guarentee I get a good spot in the queue for when it eventually does open!
Also is fast track available? I'd rather pay than have to wait for 3 bloody hours!
Owen

Jmurphy55 wrote: Can anyone explain to me why the Smiler is opening at 11:30am every day and not when the park opens as al the other rides do?
Just really annoying as I don't want to wait in a queue for 3 hours just to guarentee I get a good spot in the queue for when it eventually does open!
Also is fast track available? I'd rather pay than have to wait for 3 bloody hours!
It is if your willing to pay £10 for one fasttrack ticket
Jmurphy55

Thrillmad wrote:
Jmurphy55 wrote: Can anyone explain to me why the Smiler is opening at 11:30am every day and not when the park opens as al the other rides do?
It is if your willing to pay £10 for one fasttrack ticket
Happily to avoid standing in a queue for for 2 hours just to wait for the ride to open.
I'd only pay for it once, but I want to get on the Smiler without sacrificing 2 hours of my day in the process, its lot the length of the queue so much as the time lost in the park. Normally I just show up at opening to guarentee I get on busy rides quickly, but if they're not opening until 11:30 then it seems the only way is fast track.
Hopefully it will start opening on time by next week when I go.
Luce

Personally, I think The Smiler is worth a 3 hour queue, it's that impressive :)

However, I can understand why sacrificing park time is a difficult choice and whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did :D
Last edited by Luce on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmurphy55

Luce wrote: Personally, I think The Smiler is worth a 3 hour queue, it's that impressive :)

However, I can understand why sacrificing park time is a difficult choice and whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I did :D
I don't doubt that its worth the queue. I've waited that amount of time for rides in the past, but if I can avoid it, for the sake of a tenner, its probably worth it.
Also the added fact that I'm going with my girlfriend who's never been to a theme park before so the idea of queuing for one hour would probably be extreme, let alone 3 hours!
Danny

The Smiler opened along with the rest of the park today :) And yes, fastrack is available, albeit limited.
Luce

Jmurphy55 wrote:
Luce wrote: Personally, I think The Smiler is worth a 3 hour queue, it's that impressive :)

I don't doubt that its worth the queue. I've waited that amount of time for rides in the past, but if I can avoid it, for the sake of a tenner, its probably worth it.
Also the added fact that I'm going with my girlfriend who's never been to a theme park before so the idea of queuing for one hour would probably be extreme, let alone 3 hours!
Ah fair enough, everyone's different to be honest :)

Also as you're going with someone who hasn't been to a theme park before, I guess it makes sense :)
tallicay2k

I was in the queue again this morning at 9:30 and tbh it was a bit of luck for the ride to open at 10am. Glad all the testing went smoothly and yes at one point the queue was only 90 mins.

Today was a tad quieter than yesterday by far.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
andy_jm

I'm happy to pay to get on it but only the once when you have three year olds in toe you can't expect the wife to entertain them forever while in the que lol
Oblividoom

RCandrew wrote: I think the smiler queue times will now start to die down, but still be the longest in the park.
And the park will still be really busy from now through summer! Cant wait, just 4 weeks for me :D
I think you're probably right, especially now many enthusiasts have got on it and had their much needed fix. However I expect queues will increase in July as the schools begin to break up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
dazza4783

Although it does look impressive, and i'm sure it is worth queueing 3 hours for (will find out for myself on Thursday  :D) If i can get on it without having to queue that long then i definitely would take the quicker option. And if paying £10 will help me get 3 extra hours for the other rides then i would gladly pay that.
Hopefully that won't be necessary on Thursday, but if the queues do end up being big on Thursday then fast track it is.
Ryster

If anybody's interested, I'll be posting some pictures up on my twitter during my visit tomorrow. @TCLN_Ryster is my handle :-)
tharrison4815

I thought Alton Towers announced that there would be no fast track for the first few months?
AidanCKY

Yesterday people said Fastrack was £6 for The Smiler, now its £10?

Which is it?
xTeddlesking

£10 for sure, got told in briefing this morning!
Former Lifeguard at Splash Landings hotel,  Now studying computer and video games at Salford Uni.
AidanCKY

Wow greedy bar stuards. You can get 3 rides for £12!
SmileyMan

Was just looking on the Blue Peter documentary of The Smiler, and found an image which shows the construction of the indoor heart-line roll which was censored during the construction phase.