The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mikecloud1984

RobStandley wrote: They've just pulled it out the maintenance shed and it had alot of water pouring out the middle section, any idea?
Draining of test dummies possibly?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's now open apparently...
@KTaylor2904 Hi Kyle, The Smiler is now open and we hope to have the second train available on Nemesis shortly. ^Matt
DeanGaryCox

The Smiler has a 210min queue according to their ridetimes.co.uk... you've got to be kidding me right!?  :shock:
Image 2014
GigaSurimi

DeanGaryCox wrote: The Smiler has a 210min queue according to their ridetimes.co.uk... you've got to be kidding me right!?  :shock:
Now says 150min... I guess it's alright compared to the past days, but it's still way too much for me haha. I would never queue more than 40min for a ride :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

DeanGaryCox wrote: The Smiler has a 210min queue according to their ridetimes.co.uk... you've got to be kidding me right!?  :shock:
150mins now, not quite as bad...
Dan

Not long come off The Smiler, we were on front row of the first train of the day. A massive cheer went up when we went up the lift hill, I can honestly say its the best coaster I have ever been on, bar none!
Tom G

On Saturday I was planning on arriving with my group at 9am and pre-queue during ERT. But if they aren't opening it until later in the morning, is there value in doing this?
Kittykat1987

I am going next Tuesday! We are lucky enough to have fast passes for all the big rides expect The Smiler. Looking at the queue times at the moment, do you think we would be better just to go straight to The Smiler first thing?
Chaz

Kittykat1987 wrote: Looking at the queue times at the moment, do you think we would be better just to go straight to The Smiler first thing?
I think this needs to be done until the end of 2013 at least.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Dan

Tom G wrote: On Saturday I was planning on arriving with my group at 9am and pre-queue during ERT. But if they aren't opening it until later in the morning, is there value in doing this?
There's loads of value in doing this. Hopefully before long they'll start opening it earlier as the ride beds in.

We sprinted from the gates to the smiler and managed to be on the first train, if you don't use ERT to pre-queue for it then by the time it opens you'll be waiting about 3 hours for it, instead of riding straightaway
Kirsty25

Kittykat1987 wrote: I am going next Tuesday! We are lucky enough to have fast passes for all the big rides expect The Smiler. Looking at the queue times at the moment, do you think we would be better just to go straight to The Smiler first thing?
That is my intention one day of my stay so I may see you around!
Kittykat1987

Kirsty25 wrote:
Kittykat1987 wrote: I am going next Tuesday! We are lucky enough to have fast passes for all the big rides expect The Smiler. Looking at the queue times at the moment, do you think we would be better just to go straight to The Smiler first thing?
That is my intention one day of my stay so I may see you around!
Indeed! I would love to see members in the park! I might mention TowersTimes and see if anyone turns around!  :D
daboywunda

We joined the queue at about 9:30 on Saturday - luckily, it opened dead on 10am... The queue at this time was already 1 hour 40.. (if you then add the 30 extra mins before ride open = 2 hours 10)

So yes, as much as it pains me to say, get as close to the front of the queue as early as you can.. That way, you'll be ahead of upwards of 2500 people and be able to get on many other rides before they make it through the system to heighten the queue times... In theory... This week looks like it's been busy all around though
bluebluecow

see I would take advantage of smaller queue times on other rides 1st thing, we noticed the park seemed empty, untill 12ish as everyone was queuing for smiler. the single rider queue was anything between 10-40 mins based on the length when we went past it. They where filling 2s with the single riders if a 3 of 4 was at the front of main queue so it moved quickly.
Tom G

nicksy111 wrote:
Tom G wrote: On Saturday I was planning on arriving with my group at 9am and pre-queue during ERT. But if they aren't opening it until later in the morning, is there value in doing this?
There's loads of value in doing this. Hopefully before long they'll start opening it earlier as the ride beds in.

We sprinted from the gates to the smiler and managed to be on the first train, if you don't use ERT to pre-queue for it then by the time it opens you'll be waiting about 3 hours for it, instead of riding straightaway
The issue I fear is an hour's wait during ERT then a couple of hours until it opens. So even if its walk on for me when it eventually opens, I'll have still wasted two hours of park time elsewhere.
Dan

It's broken down with a train on the vertical lift
Shangalaing

What's a code zero?
Kiss my oblivion
Dansam123

Full ride train sitting stuck at the top of the v lift
Smiler was amazing!!
Dan

The train is now descending the lift. Maybe the jolt that people have been feeling is the chain slipping and this time the car and chain disconnected?
dazza4783

nicksy111 wrote: The train is now descending the lift. Maybe the jolt that people have been feeling is the chain slipping and this time the car and chain disconnected?
Like this.

I'm going next Thursday, i plan to go straight to The Smiler, although am toying with the idea of going later on in the day and using the single rider queue, by all accounts the single rider queue aint too bad. Hopefully all the queues will be a bit shorter next week seeing as there are no school holidays.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.