The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Benjsh

I have a feeling that this time it will be a lengthy closure. There's obviously something seriously wrong with those trains. They need to sort it out because if it stalled with people on it, it would be far far worse and a lot more of a problem.

Don't think I'll be going back for seconds this coming weekend.
RobStandley

I guess it's in AT's hands in terms of the decision, if they get it back up and running today - how long before it happens again? If they don't get it back up again and allow Gerst to make more of a long term fix which you'd presume would mean closing for days/weeks, AT would get even more slating from the thousands expecting to ride it over the coming days...
fishdalf

I'm there myself, 2nd time trying now and this has cost me £100 this time
Chaz

It shouldn't take long at all to sort it out, it'll be back and testing tomorrow (at least). It is literally a case of pulling the train to a high point and 'letting go' but only certain people can do this, it may have to be Gerst (but they'll still be around somewhere).

Also, AT will need to get a crane in, I don't know where from and how long that'll take (as last time they had a crane on site anyway).

But, yes, in theory it's a couple of hours. But they'll need to figure out why this has happened (possibly new train 5?) and then go from there.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
DoubleOh7

Im going to AT on thursday and was feeling pretty confident we would be on it - not so sure now :(

very slightly off topic but what causes coasters to stall?? Theres obviously something very wrong with it!
JayJay90

The day I chose to come its closed :'( gutted. Just wish they'd say why. The whole of xsector is closed
Dan

Maybe it's a new train that hasn't been worn it yet? If that's the case then surely they could run the other trains while the park is open and use morning testing to run the new one in?

Just a theory.
wardiespritz

Just spoken to someone they said chances are slim on opening today and may be tomo..
You must escape........go...go..go
RCD27

I will be there a week today! Hopefully everything is sorted. I shouldn't see it being a major problem it may potentially be the same train as last time which means that it could just be an issue with that particular train
Sonic Saw Stealth Smiler
Chaz

DoubleOh7 wrote: very slightly off topic but what causes coasters to stall?? Theres obviously something very wrong with it!
Could be many things...

1) It was cold, causing the wheel issues and the coaster to run slower.
2) Very windy (in the wrong direction), much like SAW a few weeks back.
3) No dummies in the train caused the train to be light, without 'warming up' (possibly the new train).
4) Simple wheel problems, too much friction.
5) The chain speeds malfunctioned, causing the train to leave the crest at a slower pace than normal.
6) F*ns, if these malfunctioned then the train would slow too much.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

Benjsh

They will already know the problem. The systems will pick it up instantly.
davewazere

Have they not got the wheel composition correct yet?
Last edited by davewazere on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/875-big-dave/"]Image[/url]
mixer114

think they should have the crane as part of the themeing  noticed it was empty car no dummies last time it stalled it was a empty train
Rayson95

I need one too, here today :(
mike_roller

You've got to laugh really but then also cry at the same time for all the people there. I know they'll say they revalidate tickets or whatever but there's an expense involved getting there. And I don't think this is one those things where you can claim it's beyond their control. It's not a mechanical failure or wear and tear. It's a deign fault that shouldn't even be apparent in the first place. There may be fifty other attractions but let's face it nearly everyone is there to ride the new boy.

I'm going on thursday and really hope it's open then.
TB2

JayJay90 wrote: The day I chose to come its closed :'( gutted. Just wish they'd say why. The whole of xsector is closed
Well it's rather simple, the train stopped where it isn't supposed to be and now the engineering team have to spend all day getting it back to the station.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

JayJay90

The smiler, oblivion and air all closed. Ouch lol. The guy on the smiler just now is on the phone under one of the trains

If anyone knows the guy on hole in one he knows what's happened I just couldn't hear
jackcullen

To quote a famous tv series.

'Get it off and get the dam thing open' :p

No reason why they can't get the train off, block reset and open up with a train less! Don't think we'll be seeing trains running empty again definatly always going to have to have dummies in again.
JW599

What!!!!!  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Booked off Friday and been excited to go and it was unexpected to have the opportunity - not going to have another chance now until next season. Not yet booked tickets but its about £40 each.

Might as well forget it and travel to Thorpe park.
Chaz

JayJay90 wrote: If anyone knows the guy on hole in one he knows what's happened I just couldn't hear
We all know what has happened, the train (that is meant to go from A to B), left from point A and didn't make it to point B.

And, sadly, the guy who runs the 'hole in one', will not no anymore than that.