The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MatthewR1990

I swear, with god as my witness. If The Smiler is not open Wednesday for me I will NOT be held responsible for my actions. Lmao.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Instant Mix

I've just realised- the smiler has suspension built into the up-stop wheels - and I can't see the same kind on any other gerstlauer coaster. Is this a first for them?
jknelhams

Just heading out my front door to FINALLY ride this awesome beast - 3 trains and a Bus for me to get to Towers, and working late last night so couldn't get a hotel. I'll try and post on here a bit later as to how the day goes! Fingers crossed the queue won't be tooooo long!
fishdalf

jknelhams wrote: Just heading out my front door to FINALLY ride this awesome beast - 3 trains and a Bus for me to get to Towers, and working late last night so couldn't get a hotel. I'll try and post on here a bit later as to how the day goes! Fingers crossed the queue won't be tooooo long!
I'll see you there ha. Been up since 10.30am yesterday and just done a full night shift in work, which finishes soon. Then off to pick the missus up and straight there. Now that's dedication for you. :)
Chaz

fishdalf wrote:
jknelhams wrote: Just heading out my front door to FINALLY ride this awesome beast - 3 trains and a Bus for me to get to Towers, and working late last night so couldn't get a hotel. I'll try and post on here a bit later as to how the day goes! Fingers crossed the queue won't be tooooo long!
I'll see you there ha. Been up since 10.30am yesterday and just done a full night shift in work, which finishes soon. Then off to pick the missus up and straight there. Now that's dedication for you. :)
On opening day I got up at 4.30am, left at 5am. Got to Alton Towers at 8.40am. Queued for The Smiler from 9-when it opened (12ish). Got off, left the park at 1pm, drove back. got home at 5.30pm. Then for the train to London for 2 days.

Still catching up on sleep, but it was worth it.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
XXBENNXX

i am currently still awake having not gone to sleep at all last night, gonna hit the hay in a few hours, as have to leave at 1am to arrive opening time .... driving through the night, will be on this thing tomorrow!!
TB2

mike_roller wrote: Well looking at ridetimes the queues are worse today than they were during half term.
It didn't feel that busy for my friend and I yesterday but then we played the game of staying one ride ahead of the crowds so managed a pretty decent ride count and only queued for the Smiler and our second ride on Nemesis.
I felt AT dealt wih this very smoothly, and was taken aback to find people stating that they still wanted to log further complaints!
People like putting the boot on. It's a machine, running its first week of operation and when people are queuing for nearly two hours to ride something it does feel like a small outrage for some when things don't go to plan. What irritates me is that people expect more then a free day back at the park. Should be grateful with that but no some people expect free fastrack tickets, free parking, free merchandise, free food, park reopened for an hour to compensate. All kinds of faff.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

----reece----

Went on the smiler yesterday was amazing ! Closed early and emptied que line and had to evacuate 2 trains around 6pm last night though .. Don't no if this has been mentioned yet ..
Deejay

Smiler has stalled just now in testing ;(
Chaz

Dan wrote: Smiler has stalled just now in testing ;(
Actually stalled or stopped on mid-breaks? Where abouts? Any pictures?

This is terrible news for a new ride, better get that crane back :(
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Dan

Towers Street have photos showing its stalled at the bottom of the batwing, I would post them but I'm on my phone so can't.

Really hope they get this sorted soon
CoasterBen

This is the photo courtesy of Towers Street of the supposed stalled car:

Dan

Towers Street have just posted on Twitter that "X-Sector has just been evacuated and Smiler is currently closed"
RobStandley

Whole of x-sector evacuated apparently, probably ready for the crane to come in? Feel for the guy who's had to drive at 1am^^^ Hope its open for Thursday! This will be my 3rd attempt at trying to get on it! Nightmare!
Benjsh

Not the greatest start to life for the ride is it? I'm lucky I went on sunday and had 3 rides on it. Feel for the peeps there today. I bet they are well gutted.
MatthewR1990

GOD DAMN IT. I'm there tomorrow. The only towers trip I will get a year. How long does it take to sort out a valleyed train? They don't stay closed for too long do they?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Static Veins

And to think I was thinking of booking a return trip for as early as tomorrow after narrowly missing the opening last week... Think I might hold off for a bit longer, just to be sure :P
JamieH93

ive not even got my hopes up for riding when i go on the 17th ill just ride if i get time between riding everthing else. maybe next year :)
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
Dan

Whats the longest we can expect the ride to be down for? I presume once they've removed the stalled train from the track then it's a case of putting it back into the mech bay and clearing the crane before testing again?

Or will Gerst look at it as an ongoing problem and look to modify the trains before re-opening it?
wardiespritz

I'm there now. Gutted its closed will try find out if it will open.
You must escape........go...go..go