The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kautoluke

I'm going to AT this Saturday! And I'm beyond excited! I'm it's wondering if I use the single rider queue will I miss anything spectacular in the normal queue that I really should experience? I'm going with family and only 2 of us out of the 6 dare go on, so don't want to spend all day queuing and leave the rest of them.
You bred raptors?
Ripsaw Raver

As far as what i have seen from vids, the Single Rider Queue filters into the projection mapping room, so the only thing you will miss is the cage sections of the queue line. Dont quote me on this but i think the way it goes is, Projection Map Room-Baggage Hold-Stairs-Station so i dont think you would miss too much to be fair, and without going into spoilers i think the things to see walk wise are more on the exit path
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Ripsaw Raver

Right well here we go- call it a Ministry Of Joy Survey.
Currently I have not experienced the ride so on visual alone my vote goes to the Inoculator

So whats your favorite method of Marmalisation?
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
garfield3gs

As for the train having work done, I would say they are listening to the GP and looking into the screeching and also the vibrations that people have reported. As someone said before if they leave it to long they may end up damaging the trains. They will have ran that extra train over the weekend to get the initial rush done and now they feel they can run 1 less train so they can look at the problem'd one. I may be wrong but this is my view on things
Danny

On opening day it was rumoured that John wardley was on site. Having emailed him and getting a lovely reply back I can confirm he has just got back from two weeks in Spain so can't of been there
bbooth2

I cant recall even noticing any of the effects whilst riding, I was however on the front row so I don't know if that changes anything, but the speed you go round that circuit its hard to notice anything haha
Phild94

danny.g97 wrote: On opening day it was rumoured that John wardley was on site. Having emailed him and getting a lovely reply back I can confirm he has just got back from two weeks in Spain so can't of been there
He can't have been there for 2 weeks.... He and his family were on site the day before opening were they not? :S

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
Danny

No these rumours were false. I've got the email
DLD

Trying to revise depression for my psychology exam tomorrow is generally not happening whilst digesting all of The Smiler craic and organising a trip to AT...  :( need to get corrected get concentrating.
Everton-99

The smiler is running four trains again now after a short period of downtime!! On the plus side i got to ride front row and it was epic , seriously if you havnt been yet get there!!
redpiggy

DLD wrote: Trying to revise depression for my psychology exam tomorrow is generally not happening whilst digesting all of The Smiler craic and organising a trip to AT...  :( need to get corrected get concentrating.
That's alright.. I'm on here instead of doing my dissertation  :P
I've dreamt about the smiler two nights in a row now and I've not even been on it yet!!
Roll on thursday!
Fingers crossed more kids are back at school and the fourth train is back on!

*appears the fourth train is back woop! :D *
DLD

That's alright.. I'm on here instead of doing my dissertation  :P
I've dreamt about the smiler two nights in a row now and I've not even been on it yet!!
Roll on thursday!
Fingers crossed more kids are back at school and the fourth train is back on!

*appears the fourth train is back woop! :D *
Lucky for you! Seems it's going to be around 26th/27th before I can go. Me and my friends appear to only have those two days between now and the school holidays free. So excited to not only ride it, but also see the overall look of the X-Sector, Oblivion's revamp was well overdue and the addition of The Smiler is just the icing on the cake.
Welsh_Tenor

They've just closed the queue line to lots of angry people as the ride has "technical issues". There are people stuck just before the vertical lift that need evacuating and by time they do that and fix the problem they've taken the decision to close...

Makes sense but there's some very angry people here! I rode it this morning (it was epic!) so I'm ok haha!

Engineers were up on the cherry picker looking at the lift but no luck!
Roller coasters = the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
undeadarmy

I'm really sorry but I can't be bothered the read all this, so could somebody give me a roundup of the indoor effects and what each leg actually does?

Thanks!
Rob
Admin
Admin

This might answer your question - http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/about/
ATJordan

For those familiar with the queues, when is the best time to queue? The morning actually seems busier by the sound if things. Just wondering, don't really fancy queueing for 3 hours :D
Owen

ATJordan wrote: For those familiar with the queues, when is the best time to queue? The morning actually seems busier by the sound if things. Just wondering, don't really fancy queueing for 3 hours :D
Single rider perhaps?
swatson90

ATJordan wrote: For those familiar with the queues, when is the best time to queue? The morning actually seems busier by the sound if things. Just wondering, don't really fancy queueing for 3 hours :D
Hi everyone, im a long time lurker on here, only just joined !

Was at the park today, was surprised how busy it was!! In regards to The smiler i was around it pretty much all day, it was running 3 (pretty sure not 4 at any point) trains, and during the 2 breakdowns i witnessed (11am and 3pm) trains were being swapped around with others from the maintenance shed, which is worrying, i asked someone about it and they claimed it was because due to it only just opening they still have obligatory tests to do to the cars to make sure all is well.... you can all make up your own minds on that one...

As regards to queue time... we got in line at about 10:15 right up at the top of the extended line, it was massive, but moved incredibly quickly this morning, with a 20 minute break down we were on by just before 12, it really wasnt that bad!

We joined again at around 2pm, with a much shorter line but once we entered the official line it was far more dense than it was in the morning and moved alot slower! we had another 20 miniute break down but this time it actually took longer!

My advise would be, dont be deterred by the massive line in the morning, get in line and go for it, it moved very quickly! Just hope the ride doesnt have any 'technical difficulties' ....!

And oh ye its awesome !!! but you all knew that already !!
Last edited by swatson90 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwardh

Welsh_Tenor wrote: Engineers were up on the cherry picker looking at the lift but no luck!
Do you think it's an major issue which will keep the ride closed?
krug

Just found this on youtube

Its a great vid of on and off ride shots.  But it also shows a rollback at the end of the video.
Its strange though.  The vid says it is 9 mins 58 secs long but it goes on longer after the slider has gone to the end, so watch it right until the end, (which is where the roll back is)

Well i thought it was interesting anyway.