The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

BHXDMT wrote:
And for anyone wanting to know about Single Rider, I tried it 3 times...

1 hour at 11am
5 minutes at 1pm
10 minutes at 1:30pm

So pretty decent if you catch it just right!
Thanks for the single rider info. Sounds like it's definitely worth using in the school summer hols when I go.
Wendelius

Jmurphy55 wrote: I'm going to AT for 2 days with my girlfriend in a couple of weeks, she's never really ridden a roller coaster before but is up for trying them, she likes fairground rides and stuff so I think she'l probably like coasters as well.
My only worry is that she's quite short, maybe just over 5ft? And I really don't want her first coaster experience to end with a a headache or painful thighs as apparently I've read that the shoulder part of the OTSR is quite high.
A slight tangent to your question. But to assess how much she will like coasters and to make the initial contact with them as comfy and fun as possible, I'd recommend getting started with Air then Thirteen. The first is just plain zen, and the second such a great laugh. That should help build her confidence before some of the other coasters.

Glad you asked the question on Smiler comfort, as I'll be going in 3 weeks and my 11 year old son who can't wait to try it is also around 5". On the other end of the scale, my 15 year old and me are more like 6"2. So here is hoping it accommodates us all equally comfortably.

Reading the initial impressions here, I can't wait.

Wendelius
Aidan Lowe

Just jumping in here to share this, on park today. I'm sure some of you saw him roaming today.
Source: @NatTheOracleG

Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
getothing

Let's face it, some people do not agree that you have stolen the crown nemesis, there are even fake review.
People who have ridden the smiler knows how is going slow or do not say much because it's vibe, different rides are generally the smiler is better but some things nemesis wins.
Last edited by getothing on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
TheSmiler1998

This makes the review topic redundant doesn't it? Seeing as all the reviews are posted here pretty much!
I can't wait to ride this monstrosity! Maybe know my friends will understand the obsession! :D
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Danny

I agree the whole smiler section could go in the archive folder now. It been a great year guys. I'd just like to say thanks to roodles and mI7 for the updates and any others that did. It's been good fun and I look forward to joining you again for sw8!!
Aidan Lowe

rctneil over at TPR has posted an amazing collection of photos, seriously they are amazing in action shots and crisp.  Some of the faces are priceless. Click here.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
RCandrew

Mabalzich wrote: rctneil over at TPR has posted an amazing collection of photos, seriously they are amazing in action shots and crisp.  Some of the faces are priceless. Click here.
How could there be empty seats!!!!! :lol:
Maseyg123

Not sure if this has already been discussed, does The Smiler entrance have any special features i.e. smoke?
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
Heisenberg96

Static Veins wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote:
Static Veins wrote: Enjoy all those school trips :P

I'm going to be booking a trip in the next week or so. Not sure when for though. I'm assuming it's going to be busy all the way until September now, between school trips and then the summer holidays? Would rather go sooner than later, but would much rather go when it's not packed to breaking point ;)
Oh no, common error my friend.

The very last week of July, around 26th-31st, is one of the best times to go. The last three years I've paid a visit that week. I'm yet to wait in a queue that exceeds 25 minutes. Lets just hope it's the same this year as the common pattern the last three years.

Probably shouldn't be telling people this because it defeats the point...but if you want to ride The Smiler as soon as possible with a small queue, very end of July is a good bet. Of course I can't guarantee it so I take no blame if its packed, but I'm going then again based on how empty it usually is, and how good the weather is. :)

I'm going 23rd of June as well this year...I really don't know why, that'll be ridiculously busy. I'm just too eager to get on The Smiler. Hopefully that time I'll get at least a round or two and then get most my rides in the end of July.
Much obliged. Will look into going that last week of July then I think. I'll probably be going for 2 days over the weekend, as that's just easier for the people I'm going with... Don't suppose you have any inkling as to whether the weekend is usually much worse than the weekdays that week, ey? :P

And a question to anyone been there today (or even yesterday) - are the wheels still screeching badly? In a video taken yesterday, it sounded like it was a bit better, but it was hard to tell.
Don't fret, queues are only maybe an extra ten minutes tops :) it's silent because schools hav just been but its too early for families to to come, perfect really.
AndreJD

Since everyone seems to suggest the front row is the smoothest ride (as well as having the best view obviously) do they let you queue for the front row like on other coasters or do you not get a choice?
Katherine

Okay so even with this topic I feel a bit lost without constant updates in the construction thread, getting excited for aerial updates, etc. But I'm glad now I can feel excited to ride it rather than see more pictures of it.
SpecyBeast

TT Flyover maybe ;)...Ha Ha
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

mac359

should i expect the queue to be large later today orr? :?
TheOutpatient

Mabalzich wrote: Just jumping in here to share this, on park today. I'm sure some of you saw him roaming today.
Source: @NatTheOracleG

Ah wow cool - Professor Burp.
He wasn't opperating rides was he? :D
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
fishdalf

So are schools going next week? Is there usually a set date for these thing's or is it just when a said school feels like going? I'm going tomorrow (Tuesday) and was just wondering what the queues might be like? I know it's not an exact science, but would you say there would be more or less people than last week, being half-term and all?
----reece----

On park today!! Cannot wait for the smiler !!!!
Everton-99

Just spoke to staff on park and the smile queue is currently about 2 hours , but i have to say it looks awesome i cannot wait , are they still using 4 cars or have they progressed to 5 yet?
Benjsh

To those on park today........DON'T wait in normal queue for the Smiler. We did SRQ yesterday and did in in 30 mins twice and 40 mins the other time.
gaz1313

Maseyg123 wrote: Not sure if this has already been discussed, does The Smiler entrance have any special features i.e. smoke?
Light effects in circles on the inside on both sides.
AndreJD wrote: Since everyone seems to suggest the front row is the smoothest ride (as well as having the best view obviously) do they let you queue for the front row like on other coasters or do you not get a choice?
No specific front row queue, mainly to there only being 4 rows. It's a good and moderately smooth ride throughout the car, so it's not an issue.