The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Heisenberg96

Jesus, could climb to 4/maybe 5 hours today at some point! I'd suggest you only go if you're a Merlin pass holder, either you're getting on everything except The Smiler or you're going to spend most your day in a queue. Not worth £42.
Nathan Clulow97

I have a Merlin pass and if the queue is going to be that all the time I shall not go on it.where is the onride photo
Dan

Nathan Clulow97 wrote: I have a Merlin pass and if the queue is going to be that all the time I shall not go on it.where is the onride photo
As you come out of the sea-serpent roll, just before the 2nd airtime hill
Mattfat1

Currently 3hrs stated. Judging by the queues trailing back into the coach park to buy tickets, it's going to get worse before it gets better!!

P.s. I'm so ducking exited for this!! The 3hrs begins...
Ladyofthelake

Current queue time for The Smiler = 210 minutes!
Kind of glad I postponed my trip until the school summer hols! I know it'll still be busy but hopefully it won't be that bad!

On the plus side the longest current queue for any other ride is only 40 mins.
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

Has anybody on here got an on-ride photo with the case so we can see what they look like?
Markwood71

As MAP holders, will they stop GP entering park / Smiler queue till 10am? Or is it only ERT that the GP miss out on ? If they are allowed to queue at 9 - what's the benefit of MAP/ERT ?

Whining I know, but hey ....
MatthewR1990

Markwood71 wrote: As MAP holders, will they stop GP entering park / Smiler queue till 10am? Or is it only ERT that the GP miss out on ? If they are allowed to queue at 9 - what's the benefit of MAP/ERT ?

Erm ERT stands for ealy ride time. So the benefit is pretty obvious if you ask me. You get to go on rides earlier than GP. If you chose to waste that time queuing for the smiler that's your prerogative.

By waste I mean not using it for what it's for. I by no means think its a waste of time queuing for the Smiler.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
Mogga

Markwood71 wrote: As MAP holders, will they stop GP entering park / Smiler queue till 10am? Or is it only ERT that the GP miss out on ? If they are allowed to queue at 9 - what's the benefit of MAP/ERT ?

I know we are going off topic here but ERT is no longer "a perk", yesterday they even let school groups in early which just filled the queues straight away
Last edited by Mogga on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gouldy

RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote: Has anybody on here got an on-ride photo with the case so we can see what they look like?

Front:

Back:

Inside:

Photo:

Hope that clears that one up for you!
tallicay2k

Mogga wrote:

I know we are going off topic here but ERT is no longer "a perk", yesterday they even let school groups in early which just filled the queues straight away
Please say you are joking? thats horse **** "Go on kids run along and fill the queues up" i seriously would be peeved.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
RCandrew

tallicay2k wrote:
Mogga wrote:

Please say you are joking? thats horse **** "Go on kids run along and fill the queues up" i seriously would be peeved.
They can fill queues up but won't get on ERT rides until 10 whereas you will at 9 if you have access to ERT :) obviously the smiler isn't part of ERT yet!
Last edited by RCandrew on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AltonThorpe

Could someone going soon take some pictures of how it blends in with the rest of X Sector? Obviously I have an idea in my mind of what it is like but it would be awesome if someone could take some photos of the entire area including Oblivion!

Thanks, all my love  :D
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
TheOutpatient

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Erm ERT
lol, Erm Ert, whats that?
Ermahgherd.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
----reece----

Anyone no what I should expect que times to be on Monday!? :)
astralAndy

There seems to be quite a big difference of opinion on how smooth the ride is (not necessarily on this thread but others here and all over the internet) , do you think that maybe one or 2 of the trains or individual car sections (front/middle/back) are not built or configured as well as others? An example of this that I've experienced myself is Rip Ride Rockit at Universal, where I had a really smooth ride the first couple of times but then had a rattling headache and neck straining ride later when riding a particular car.

What do people think?
jordanc14

astralAndy wrote: There seems to be quite a big difference of opinion on how smooth the ride is (not necessarily on this thread but others here and all over the internet) , do you think that maybe one or 2 of the trains or individual car sections (front/middle/back) are not built or configured as well as others? An example of this that I've experienced myself is Rip Ride Rockit at Universal, where I had a really smooth ride the first couple of times but then had a rattling headache and neck straining ride later when riding a particular car.

What do people think?
I first rode it on the back row, which was extremely smooth. Not quite B&M smooth, but very good! I then rode it for a second time on the front row, and whilst it was in no way "rough" it was definitely not as smooth as my first ride. When going into some of the inversions, particularly the cobra roll/batwing, it was a bit shaky.
LCFCjames

Theme Park World Wide have released a video of some footage from opening day yesterday 8)
Link to the video here: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be
RubyGaga

gouldy wrote:
RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote: Has anybody on here got an on-ride photo with the case so we can see what they look like?
Photo:

Hope that clears that one up for you!
Woah, I hope theres another option so you can purchase the close up only photo. The overview shot takes up too much room IMO

Image ImageImageImage
Balb0wa

A video i did from yesterday