The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
B3N7AM1N.712

I may be going to alton towers tomorrow with my family.
I wanted to ask what time does the entrance to the smiler close?

I thought that if we left the smiler till last then it would give is a better chance of getting on most of the other rides  :?
:D THE SMILER :D
Maseyg123

Fred_Delicious wrote: A few notes:

-There were 4 trains in operation today
- the rainbow stairs are how you get out of the station
- there is a really cool optical illusion AFTER the ride. It's just after the baggage collection and it really messed with my head
- the indoor heart line area is dark and misty and genuinely disorientating
- the drop out of the station is amazing on the back row (where I was sitting)
- there is a screen in the shop that superimposes Smiler uniforms etc onto you and I think you can buy the photo
- the flasher is an INSANE head chopper
- the inoculator has been reduced to a mist spray now so like the giggler, it just cools you down
- I didn't even notice the tickler

Hope this answers some questions
What was the optical illusion after the ride?? :)
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
bealyboy

Wow now its open the forum has really died down.. I guess its just reviews now.. No updates means a piece of my life will be missing  :( :( But hey ho only 5 months till i ride it!!  :D :D :D :D :D
SMILE.ALWAYS
Altontowersbarlow

I haven't seen a pov today  :D
gouldy

Took a few panos today, but only one turned out looking alright which is a shame!

The only one that came out alright was this one of the final break run, heh!

Maseyg123

Is it possible that the glass floor was a H&S issue, so had to be covered with grips?
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
Balb0wa

Took loads of pics today, was on the 2nd train ,3 hr queue , worth it though, what a ride
gallopbob

so no washing machine? vertical lift freefall back? there has to be on-train face recognition speed controllers, surely?? ah well, there is always SW8.
Jack

gallopbob wrote: so no washing machine? vertical lift freefall back? there has to be on-train face recognition speed controllers, surely?? ah well, there is always SW8.
Why are you not satisfied with a brilliant roller-coaster? you don't need trick-track to make it great :moj
Evostance

jackandylan123 wrote:
gallopbob wrote: so no washing machine? vertical lift freefall back? there has to be on-train face recognition speed controllers, surely?? ah well, there is always SW8.
Why are you not satisfied with a brilliant roller-coaster?
I detected a slight hint of sarcasm in their post ;)
Liam B

There dosen't have to be anything. They have made one of thee best roller coasters I have ever seen with an inversion record. It dosen't need anything else. It's already cool enough  8)
Th13TEENGUY

Does anyone have any photots of the shop i have only seen one on ATG :D
LCFC til i die
SwEDEN

Please be a troll, please be a troll, if not I offer you this. :-s
deeve

I was present for second day of air and within 3 weeks of Némesis opening. I was not there today but it looks like the biggest opening ever. I was there a week after oblivion but dont remember that One very well.
ilyAlton

The turf looks AMAZING.  :shock:
JBragg1

Th13TEENGUY wrote: Does anyone have any photots of the shop i have only seen one on ATG :D
Towers Nerd Dohttp://live.towersnerd.com/
SwEDEN

deeve wrote: I was present for second day of air and within 3 weeks of Némesis opening. I was not there today but it looks like the biggest opening ever. I was there a week after oblivion but dont remember that One very well.
I love how you say "it looks like the biggest opening ever" when it was actually a soft opening...... LOL, shows how awesome this coaster is, doesn't need a countdown or conformation from the park until the ride is actually operational and yet still reaches 3 hours on opening day. AWESOME!
Brazilian13Guy

SwEDEN wrote:
deeve wrote: I was present for second day of air and within 3 weeks of Némesis opening. I was not there today but it looks like the biggest opening ever. I was there a week after oblivion but dont remember that One very well.
I love how you say "it looks like the biggest opening ever" when it was actually a soft opening...... LOL, shows how awesome this coaster is, doesn't need a countdown or conformation from the park until the ride is actually operational and yet still reaches 3 hours on opening day. AWESOME!
No, this isn't a soft opening, this is the OFFICIAL opening, look at Alton's website, a soft opening don't need to be advertised
bealyboy

Honestly i dont know but my thoughts are that if it is clear glass then the light would go in to the disorientator not making at as disorientating...
SMILE.ALWAYS
XXBENNXX

it wasn't a soft opening, there was just no over the top announcement about it opening. trust me that was the opening. as all the social media relating to Alton towers and the main website itself simply state Now open. it was time to open so they did. They knew this day would attract enough guests to act like a grand opening anyhow. no more fanfare, no more "hoo har" it is now open ....... finally. (a soft opening would have meant that it was open for an hour or two for any random people in the area ALA Transformers Orlando a couple of nights ago)