Alton Towers Resort - Food and Beverage

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Maseyg123

The pancakes from the stand are amazing, the doughnuts for mutiny bay are nice too :D
Credit to lewis97 for the amazing signature above :)

Hilarious Text Loading...
nicolah

Tryst wrote: Pizza/pasta in Katanga Canyon gets my vote as a good place to eat. The foods simple, but it's good and there's plenty of it.Importantly, the tables are also clean and not sticky! I went there yesterday with 6 friends and the waitress asked if any of us had a MAP - I did so we all got a discount ^^ I'm glad that she asked because I always feel awkward asking for a discount; it's much better when it's offered.

Worst place for me so far has been the courtyard BBQ. I didn't enjoy the meal, but I suspect that was more to do with the weather as it was February and snowing!

I have a general grumble about the coffee shops at AT unfortunately. None of them appear to have soya milk or lactose free milk. Yesterday I was informed at the Towers Street café "We don't do soya milk." To me that seems a bit off hand about what is a genuine dietary requirement for a lot of people and secondly Eurest, who provide the cafés at AT and TP, also provide the café at my work where they quite definitely provide soya milk. Admittedly the café at work did try and charge extra for it at one point, but that was quickly abandoned.
eurest don't run the cafe's in Alton Towers its all in house I am a catering manager for eurest and gave previously worked for towers and they have no connection at all
nicola hunter
Themeparksandy1981

I have to agree the pancakes near the flume are nice. The worst has to be the small over cooked breakfast at Towers street. Can't talk about the restaurants cause since buying a house in 2009 we been taking our own food to the park.
lf2001

My favourite and best place to eat is the Fried Chicken restaurant. The food is lovely, all the rides are just outside the door. Its nice to watch Oblivion and the Smiler go round whilst your eating too. 
Last edited by lf2001 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

I'm not sure what it's called, but the hot dog shop opposite Rita makes great food, always go there :)
Last edited by Danny on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

DannyG wrote: I'm not sure what it's called, but the hot dog shop opposite Rita makes great food, always go there :)
Mixed feelings about that place ...

I like the hot dogs (although quite expensive), but unless you're fine to sit right next to rita as it launches every minute, then there's not really anywhere to sit. I ended up sitting on some rocks just outside the dark forest entrance, but even then you have the dark forest music blaring, and if you order for 4 (as I do) you have to take multiple trips to take the food over.

I personally would much rather sit in a relaxing café, and eat something light and in a relaxed environment, so I can stop for a bit of peaceful lunch, but still go coastering straight after if I want to without feeling sick.

It's called forest feast by the way :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Danny

We never really rest, we're always on the go so like something we can carry and eat :)
Dan

Where I eat at Towers depends on who I'm with.

If I'm alone then I'll grab something from The Burger Kitchen and eat as I'm wandering round, but if I'm with friends/family we tend to go to Pizza & Pasta as you can be in and out really quickly.

Always wanted to try Woodcutters but I prefer to spend my time at Towers going on rides, not sitting in a restaurant :)
Katherine

Pizza+Pasta and Woodcutters Bar+Grill are both really nice places to eat. Also good service.
SamSimkin

So far I'm on a 2:2 ratio.

The Good
Pizza and pasta buffet. Wonderful food, smell, music and a brilliant themed experience

The Burger Kitchen. Great to grab a snack, nice decor and music. The quarter pounder is really great!

The Bad
Fried Chicken Company. Awful in every way possible. Chicken was small, tasted vile. Chips were greasy. Gravy was sour. Felt odd the rest of the day and was ill for the next 3 days, not allowed to eat by my doctor. I complained to Towers however they said that it couldn't have been them.

Fresh Fish & Chips. Wasn't fresh, the chips were vile really hard and basically oven chips. Batter tasted of egg, took it back to the counter and asked for my money back, they said they couldn't so I swapped it for a pie, sorry tiny pasty, they don't have pies.

All in all Alton Towers is a mixed bag, I  will stick to what I know.
Last edited by SamSimkin on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Mark.aa

My favourite of all the Merlin parks is pizza pasta, my kids will eat it all day and it is hard to get them to want to eat at other places. Good value for a buffet.
Best one is the Alton Towers pizza pasta at the outdoor section watching river rapids.
2nd Legoland hotel buffet dinner includes desserts and hot drinks but dearer.
3rd was the old crossed ribs at Legoland watching Pirate Falls main drop.
Like the waffle shop outside Duel too.
Sometime towers did a deal of free desserts at waffle hut if you eat at pizza pasta.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomL

This is what I think:
Good Places

-Explorer's Pizza and Pasta
Always great, quick service and lovely food! The smell radiating from the place just says it all! Mmmmmm
-Mexican Cantina
Although the Fajitas are tasteless and pitiful, the wedges are to die for!
- Towers' Family Restaurant, Towers Street.
Breakfast. Yum.
-Woodcutters Bar and Grill
Can be dodgy at times but the majority of times I've been there its been good for a reasonable price (with MAP discount)

The not so good places
-Courtyard Tavern
Although I think the food would be nice, I have never eaten there due to the price... By far the most expensive place in the park.
-The Burger (booger) Kitchen
Every time I have bitten into a chicken burger it is filled with grease in the middle which is why I only get the veggie burger now! Chips are okay... Nothing to shout about.
-Fried Chicken Co.
Okay place, surroundings reek of grease and oil... Small portions for maximum prices... Only good thing is the magic when they pull your meal out from under the counter like its just appeared by magic! :3
Burniel

Café on towers street FTW!
obliviongirl

I was wondering whether anyone here has had the gluten free pizza at the Pizza and Pasta Buffet in Katanga Canyon before? I didn't realise they catered for coeliacs there last time I visited, so I ended up just nibbling on some chips at the Burger Kitchen. I think it's great that they offer gluten free pizzas, but I was just curious to see whether anyone has had it before, and what it was like? I would really like to try it when I visit in April. :)
lucy2244

Mexican Cantina all the way.
The wedges are like heaven, I'm starting to question weather I love Alton Towers or the wedges more, because it is definitely close!  :lol: I've also tried the nachos there, they were very nice but very messy! If you don't like eating with your hands it won't be for you, but it tastes delicious! A good vegetarian option, too  :lol:
Dan

lucy2244 wrote: Mexican Cantina all the way.
The wedges are like heaven, I'm starting to question weather I love Alton Towers or the wedges more, because it is definitely close!  :lol: I've also tried the nachos there, they were very nice but very messy! If you don't like eating with your hands it won't be for you, but it tastes delicious! A good vegetarian option, too  :lol:
Despite how good the Mexican Cantina may smell and taste, I avoid the place like the plague.

The last two times I've eaten there I've had quite unpleasant side-effects the following day...

Don't let that put you off though :)
Burniel

obliviongirl wrote: I was wondering whether anyone here has had the gluten free pizza at the Pizza and Pasta Buffet in Katanga Canyon before? I didn't realise they catered for coeliacs there last time I visited, so I ended up just nibbling on some chips at the Burger Kitchen. I think it's great that they offer gluten free pizzas, but I was just curious to see whether anyone has had it before, and what it was like? I would really like to try it when I visit in April. :)
I would imagine it's better than Burger Kitchen chips :P
Fatnorville

Sorry, I am a bit of an old timer. I miss the days when the Courtyard Tavern sold Ploughman's lunches, and 'soup in a bun' meals, and you could only buy alcohol with a full meal. It kept the idiots away and the food was good.

These days we would eat at the Pizza Pasta place for its simplicity. None of the food on the park is mind blowing, but P&P is quick, easy, VFM and filling. For the same reason we eat at Flambo's rather than the Secret Garden or that Steak House Place when staying overnight.
Themeparksandy1981

The best place to eat was Mcdonalds. The restaurant was themed well to Cred Street and the prices matched the high street.
The Worst place was Talbot Street we went here as a family in 95 or 96 and the food was so bad that some of us got food poisoning. Alton Towers gave us free tickets to go back the year after and I got a couple of days off school.
Toonsville

My Favourite Restaurant is Explorer's Pizza and Pasta Buffet.