Alton Towers Resort - Food and Beverage

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sporech

"Just Chicken"
lmao sounds like an off-brand in Planet Coaster
Dan

The Donut Chicken Burger being located right next to The Smiler? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me :lol

One thing that I don’t think has been mentioned anywhere yet is the addition of an ice cream bowl in the top left corner of the POS for Pizza & Pasta. I’m not sure if there’s ever been one before, so it will be interesting to see if ice cream is part of the offering going forward.

Original image source
Swarm Chris

Dan wrote:The Donut Chicken Burger being located right next to The Smiler? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me :lol
Well, if the queue is 90 minutes it might just be fine. Otherwise... :|
Zach

Bert wrote:Can anyone explain to me why Katanga Canyon has a Greek themed restaurant and X-Sector has a 50’s themed restaurant it’s looks really out of place.

I get they wanted to rebrand and all that but why did they change the themes of the restaurants? Don’t they own these brands anyway?
Oblivion always had, had a kind American Area 51 exclusion zone kind of feel, so I don’t think a 50’s American diner is too much out of place if I’m honest. Also the theme isn’t much different to what it was last season, just few colour changes and rebrand. The Pizza Pasta branding I’m not sure where that’s come from but I think it does suit the area in a way, maybe not the bright blue but the font and such does. 

This years food offering at Towers does excite me, I can’t wait to taste the Donut Chicken burger. I also can’t wait to see/taste any new favours that come with the rebrands!
Nickolai

The rebrands are nice, however I don't quite see the need for them. It is good they are making the F&B places fresher, but what was wrong with the old brands?
Formally Smiler313
Swarm Chris

Does seem odd to change the brands across all of the parks. It's not as if they drastically changed what they're selling either, we still have the chicken place and the pizza place.

Seems a worthless additional cost in the rebranding. Although, from Chessington last week, it does appear they will use up any remaining old brand boxes and bags. Perhaps they could only get budget to tidy things up, if they were "new"?
Justin

I'm all for this. It is a shame to waste boxes just because of the name change!
Justin

It looks like we are going to be treated to a Donut Factory in X-Sector.
Source
Michelle

This is now the thing I am MOST excited for this season, I will absolutely be trying this out. #priorities
Good spot Justin, interesting to see so many F&B changes this year. Really hoping the halloumi wraps are still in Mutiny Bay though.
AltonOperator

Impressed with the effort they're putting in for vegan options this year. Just chicken and RCR have both been confirmed to have options which is a good improvement over last year when we had to eat in Eastern Express 3 times
Thanks Jack
swfc96

AltonOperator wrote:Impressed with the effort they're putting in for vegan options this year. Just chicken and RCR have both been confirmed to have options which is a good improvement over last year when we had to eat in Eastern Express 3 times
Great news! With the huge rise in veganism over the past few years I've been surprised at the lack of options on past visits.
Justin

Being a vegetarian, it has always been challenging to eat at parks, especially when you don't really eat greasy foods either. I'm really pleased to see RCR increase their vegetarian offer along with other outlets. Hopefully, more healthy eating choices are to come!
Justin

Another picture from Mobius Works Ltd.

Eagie

I'm really not sure what having ice cream at Pizza & Pasta really adds. The two machines seemed to require constant refilling and created quite long queues when I was there - which isn't ideal in a restaurant where so many people going backwards and forwards.

The new ordering/paying system makes sense - though perhaps needs a little more space for you to wait in. You now pay on your way in, meaning no need for staff to serve you, take payment and bring your plate and cutlery.

Not sure how they can call it pizza and pasta though - yesterday there was just one pasta option.
Swarm Chris

A while back I had the misfortune to try the Donut Chicken Burger, which is available from Just Chicken at both Alton Towers and Chessington. Whilst it made me feel not so great for an hour or so, it made me think that the combination of fried chicken and doughnuts was possible, it was just that this wasn't it.

Here's a reminder of this questionable invention of fried chicken, bacon, lettuce and mayonnaise within a donut styled sweet bun.

Now it turns out that Disneyland have perfected the dish. In a recent video by The Tim Tracker and a post by WDW News Today, they feature the Fried Chicken and French Donuts at Café Orleans.

Images from WDW News Today.

These look far better!
Dom

One thing that has always disappointed me, not just at Alton Towers but all the Merlin parks, is the lack of exciting food options. When you look at other parks, most seem to have that 1 food option that everyone has to try. Dollywood has its Cinnamon rolls for example. Merlin did try to do this to an extent with Nitrogenie, but even then it was severly lacking the wow factor that other parks have. Most of these wow foods are about the food and not a side show gimmick like RCR.

Unrelated by related, the main food options at Merlin parks is always just a bit, well, meh. Its basic. The price you pay for the food really isn't worth it, even with pass discount. Its getting to the point where i would actually rather bring my own food on. Its cheaper and more enjoyable. The only decent place to eat at Alton Towers is Crooked Spoon and even then the menu is sort of repeated in other restaurants around the resort with it being burgers, curries, steak. That being said, the Carbonara is delicious!
Robert.W

So, I saw an awful picture posted online today of some of the most disgusting food I’ve seen served at Alton Towers. They look to have hit a new low in terms of food quality this year. Open the spoiler if you dare...
Spoiler
Yep, that’s supposed to be a burger. I’ve not been to Alton Towers at all this season yet, but hearing that the food quality has actually gotten even worse than it was before doesn’t exactly make me want to visit.

Swarm Chris

Doesn't look particularly appetising. But also doesn't look like something that would normally be sent out by the RCR, nor to menu specification.

My guess is this was sent out incomplete. I'm sure staff would have resolved it with a replacement when informed.

But at least the lettuce looks fresh!
Martinw

Has anyone eaten in Flambo's recently? Has it changed back to all you can eat buffet in the evening? Thanks
Ladyofthelake

It would seem that the Resort have made improvements to their F&B quality recently if last weekend was anything to go by. I ate in The Secret Garden one evening and can honestly say it was probably the best meal I've ever had in there. I had the crispy beef and it was cooked perfectly, and tasted amazing. The service in the restaurant was also the best it's been with the waiting times for food being short, and the service generally being very good.

In the theme park, whilst still not perfect, it was still better than it has been previously. Hopefully this is a positive sign that things are slowly improving for the F&B offering at the Resort :)