Going to Towers alone...

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
loulou87

The smilers que was bad and we didn't get to ride, I refused to join the que and I'm kicking myself now because really wanted to go on it but I knew it would eat into our afternoon.
Our party of 4 turned into 5 though as my cousin found out about the trip the day before and decided she was coming so on some rides we went as a 2 and 3, we got a stranger with us on spinball and he bought the picture of him and my cousin! She was mortified, I think he did it to wind her up as she didn't look to good on the pic and he made a point of letting her know he was buying it!
Laurenjm0304

loulou87 wrote: The smilers que was bad and we didn't get to ride, I refused to join the que and I'm kicking myself now because really wanted to go on it but I knew it would eat into our afternoon.
How long was the queue? When did you visit?
loulou87

It was saturday and the que was 130 mins wait :(
Jevaaaans

loulou87 wrote: It was saturday and the que was 130 mins wait :(
The queue was horrendous all day on Saturday when I was there! Thankfully, we bought Fastracks as soon as we got in because, as much as I don't think it's morally right, when you drive for 5 hours to get to the park you do want to try and make the most of it! :D
loulou87

Jevaaaans wrote:
loulou87 wrote: It was saturday and the que was 130 mins wait :(
The queue was horrendous all day on Saturday when I was there! Thankfully, we bought Fastracks as soon as we got in because, as much as I don't think it's morally right, when you drive for 5 hours to get to the park you do want to try and make the most of it! :D
I don't blame you! I think I'd have to do fast track if I lived 5 hours away,,, fortunately we only live about an hour halfs drive. (Far enough for me though I'm terrified of motorways!) We were tempted to buy the fast track for the smiler but they did seem to be a lot of people buying them and after being absolutely drenched on ripsaw at about 4:45 we decided to call it a day.
ADM182

Hi All,

Does anyone know if any companies or groups do trips to AT as most of my friends now have young kids and/or wife's and arn't allowed to come and play anymore (yes I'm 29 but AT is still play time !) :) and going alone seems to be a bit sad!

Any hints or tips would be great (Getting new friends is already under serious consideration!)

Cheers
Alex
Kirsty25

Joining this forum is just the first step in finding towers friends ;)

We have many members who go at a variety of times in the season, this season will be one where I go alone a fair bit but there'll almost always be someone going who may want to meet up with fellow forumers. And of course don't forget the events that we hold throughout the year!
Zach

Kirsty25 wrote: Joining this forum is just the first step in finding towers friends ;)

We have many members who go at a variety of times in the season, this season will be one where I go alone a fair bit but there'll almost always be someone going who may want to meet up with fellow forumers. And of course don't forget the events that we hold throughout the year!
Don't go alone take me ;) but agreed there's always plenty of towers friends at the park :P and if not there's over 50+ rides and attractions to enjoy don't forget ;) . If anyone's on park and ever sees me please do say Hi, you can't miss me, I'm the smiler man and dress like I should work on the smiler literally!!! Every visit! Going alone is a great way to enjoy the park and get everything done as you don't have to worry about adhering to everyone's requests just your own desire! Plus you get chance to do it at your pace, so run round the park like a looney and don't worry about anyone having to keep up. I run on adrenaline when I'm at the park, great example; went alone on Smiler open day and sprinted to The Smiler, other people in groups had to wait for friends etc to catch up...fools   
Last edited by Zach on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidRock

Been a few times on my own and also few meets, my opinion is depends on what you want to do on park.

Sometimes I get there before park opens straight to Nemesis once ERT has started and then don't move from forbidden valley to ride whore Nemesis all day long. Also done this with the Smiler as well. The just how many times can I go on (insert ride names)  in a day does happen sometimes.

Also sometimes I do the park at a slow pace even sometimes just to chill in the gardens. But then there are times with friends and work colleagues where we do the whole park.

Depends on my mood but still have a good time anyway.
lf2001

A good thing about going alone is all the single rider queues. You'll probably get on a lot more rides using those queues!
Mark-Cal

I'm quite looking forward to some "me time" on my own at the Towers this year, I work odd shifts so I'm often at a loose end mid-week while my grown up kids are at college or work so I'll be heading to Staffordshire clutching my newly acquired MAP !  :D

It's only an hours run for me so a quick visit after work, some coaster action then home sounds like a plan !
xnatillyx

Though I normally go with my fiance (its our thing now going to Alton towers every year) I am a wimp but he loves the roller coasters. Poor thing has to go on them alone but its great to watch. Single rider queue means he isn't waiting ages and I don't have to wait around for ages either.  8)
Last edited by xnatillyx on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintAlton

Got a few spare days this weekend before I head down south, was thinking of going to alton this weekend

What's it like going on your own?
Aidan Lowe

Its ok, you get to plan your own day doing what you want to do. Bit lonely walking from area to area but I usually natter with people in the queue or who I sit with.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dan

The majority of my visits are alone. With the way my working week is I tend to make the trip down in the week when my other half is at work.

The first time I did it it did feel a bit weird and i felt like people were looking at me but the more trips I did I got more comfortable being on my own. At the end of the day I see it as something you enjoy. If you enjoy it then there's no reason why you shouldn't do it on your own. Obviously I enjoy visiting with friends as well but being on my own lets me do what I want, when I want without the faff of deciding amongst a group.
Alton13Nemesis

Do what i do-turn up alone, but try and get into theme park groups on Facebook, or theme park community's (such as theme park friends) and organise to meet them there :)
Tom

The majority of my visits are on my own, like others have said it's a good opportunity to use SRQ's and get on a decent amount of rides in a short time. It also means that I can take time to wander around the Towers, Gardens etc with my camera with out boring the people I've visited with.
Ryan.B

Going alone is the best option for me in summer as you can use full advantage of the srq although it did feel weird on my first time I went alone!
Moosegirl

Hi all,

I am new to the group- Ellie btw lol.
My friend has dropped out of going to Alton towers today.

Does anyone have any plans or have any tips for going there alone?

I would like to go with someone, but I know it is short notice.

Anyone who is interested though, give me a shout!

:)
Swarm Chris

Tip 1 - have fun!

Unfortunately single ride benefits have gone this year, but it's unlikely to be busy today anyway.

If you feel awkward at any point, then ride Nemesis a few times, that should clear it. Hopefully you won't as, everyone is there to have fun and no one else cares who is with anyone else.

You'll also be surprised how easy it is to talk to random people at theme parks. I've had conversations in the queues, at the Rollercoaster Restaurant or just around the park. I spent a while last year talking with the poor staff stationed at the Galactica shop when it was closed for a few months who were bored out of their minds as no one went in there.

Do what you want to do like normal!

And have fun!