Will TH13TEEN be built bigger and better by another theme park??

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jamjamz

Im new to TT so i thought i would get stuck rite in and get a topic going. Dont know if its been said before but do you think TH13TEEN will be built bigger and better by another theme park in the world???

I liked TH13TEEN but it was abit of a let down because of all the hipe...but if alton had added a loop or two, a few inversions and the vertical drop alot higher i think they would of had a **** hot white nuckle on there hands.

So..
  what does the people think?..
clayj

I don't think that adding an inversion would add too the ride... What I think the ride is missing is themeing during the outside section as I always feel like this was an after thought as the focus was on the inside elements.

What would I like too see ?? More items scattered around the track with near misses such as grave stones etc. I'd love to see the section of track which banks left right left enclosed in a tunnel making the left right left section more of a surprise.
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Pennywise

Undoubtedly it will, eventually. However, it's important to remember that Th13teen was never intended as a white-knuckle thrill coaster, despite the marketing campaign which suggested otherwise, and in its current format it fulfills the design specification for Alton Towers. Unlike Air and, to a lesser extent, Oblivion this isn't an original thrill coaster concept which can be turned into a 'better' thrill coaster by an American counterpart - this is an ideal family coaster. The model, too, I don't think would translate particularly well to thrills.

Already we've seen an inferior Zierer 'drop' ride opened at Legoland Billund, and also Verbolten at Busch Gardens which received a tepid reception. No park has yet attempted a thrill version, because I should imagine that the drop segment only really 'works' when it's enclosed - in which case how high are you willing to go? I doubt Six Flags would be willing to build a huge building to enclose something like that. It's an expensive thing to do. The only way that it'll happen is on something at an experience park like Disney or Universal, with plenty of cash to spend on special effects and buildings.

Ultimately it's irrelevant. Alton Towers wanted their world first gimmick and they got it. They asked for a family coaster and that's what they received. You shouldn't compare family coasters with thrill coasters, even if another park does eventually use the same model as Th13teen for a scream machine. :)
JonoD

I suspect that at least one more coaster like this will be built somewhere in the world... Admittedly, the concept is very fitting for a Disney style coaster IMO. The only thing going against it is I'd assume that the mechanism making the drop function would be very unsightly to use in anything other than an indoor setting which is properly set up and disguised.

I'd love to see another one of this ride, maybe even given a more intense revision with inversions and the like. The dropping concept itself though seems very context specific, and wouldn't work unless themed accordingly (in Th13teen's case, going into a crypt and the floor giving way).
jamjamz

D4n wrote: Undoubtedly it will, eventually. However, it's important to remember that Th13teen was never intended as a white-knuckle thrill coaster, despite the marketing campaign which suggested otherwise, and in its current format it fulfills the design specification for Alton Towers. Unlike Air and, to a lesser extent, Oblivion this isn't an original thrill coaster concept which can be turned into a 'better' thrill coaster by an American counterpart - this is an ideal family coaster. The model, too, I don't think would translate particularly well to thrills.

Already we've seen an inferior Zierer 'drop' ride opened at Legoland Billund, and also Verbolten at Busch Gardens which received a tepid reception. No park has yet attempted a thrill version, because I should imagine that the drop segment only really 'works' when it's enclosed - in which case how high are you willing to go? I doubt Six Flags would be willing to build a huge building to enclose something like that. It's an expensive thing to do. The only way that it'll happen is on something at an experience park like Disney or Universal, with plenty of cash to spend on special effects and buildings.

Ultimately it's irrelevant. Alton Towers wanted their world first gimmick and they got it. They asked for a family coaster and that's what they received. You shouldn't compare family coasters with thrill coasters, even if another park does eventually use the same model as Th13teen for a scream machine. :)
I am in no doubt comparing th13teen with a thrill coaster but i felt let down by Altons advertising and marketing of th13teen which led me and others to asume it was a thrill coaster.

Th13een fits in very well with what alton needed. The corkstrew was a classic of a coaster but it had to go and i think th13teen has turnd out perfect for that particular area and for alton, and now the woods and vines are starting to take over its looking awsome.

It would make a perfect addition to parks like disney etc as a family coaster but if universal or someone with money to pump into it.. i do think it would make a great thrill coaster.

Just imaging, go up the lift hill, through a few inversions, enter the verticl drop element (very high)and once at the bottom of the vertical drop element u shoot 0-70mph across some smooth bank turns and back to the station.

or..
if hight is the problem for the vertical tower element then just dig a hole..after all nemesis was built in a pit and what a hell of a ride that turned out to be.. :lol:
scw55

An outdoor Suspended Inverted version of the element could be unique. However, it would have to be themed careful so it didn't look rubbish to the on-looker.

Lots of fake wooden beams could make it have a nice 'mining theme'.

Next issue is, how would the ride carry on after the drop so it would look nice in the outside setting?
DrReeve

There's one at a legoland Abroad it's quite poorly themed and makes thirteens drop look like kinda ka but its another one of the ride
Image credit to Lewis97
bensaund

For me Th13teen works very well, yes more theming outside would be good, Thorpe seem to be going for the theming record on the Swarm.

What works for me is the simple lap bar, but if you add loops, make it go faster or drop more, then we would loose the lap bar and have OTSR and this would take a lot away IMO
If you go down to the woods today
Danny

I'm sure the Gringotts bank coaster at Universal Studios over in Orlando is set to feature a freefall drop. Since it's Universal, I have no doubt that it's going to bigger and better on every scale compared to Thirteen.
bensaund

But Alton got their first, plus its a lot cheaper to get to Alton than Universal!
If you go down to the woods today
clayj

DrReeve wrote: There's one at a legoland Abroad it's quite poorly themed and makes thirteens drop look like kinda ka but its another one of the ride
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Henry

There probably will be another park that has one made bigger with inversions and taller , I think Gringotts bank coaster will have one and a lot of other surprises in store

But isn't verbolten a bigger and better version?
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Roodlesnouter

Danny wrote: I'm sure the Gringotts bank coaster at Universal Studios over in Orlando is set to feature a freefall drop. Since it's Universal, I have no doubt that it's going to bigger and better on every scale compared to Thirteen.
Couldn't agree more
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heisenberg96

Probably America. They seem to always take our British ride and just make them REALLY big.
Scooby252

It's been done "verbolten' bush gardens Williamsburg , but also has a launch so it's kinda th13teen meets Rita looks very good , view on YouTube
I don't belong to the smiler , I belong to the mrs
D-Man

I'm sure there is another one in america at Busch Gardens Williamsburg with Verbolten, granted it's made by Zierer but it's definitely a freefall drop :)

Youtube POV -
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
TheOutpatient

Verbolten !

The theming is very similar - green, gray, stone walls, trees
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Krazycoaster

Intamin are building another freefall coaster at Cinecitta World in Italy. Fully enclosed