Fireworks 2013

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Shutterbug

Didn't they do something in the summer where they randomly picked a person off a ride? They won fairly big prizes then too I think like a cheque for a nice amount of money. I think :P
Everton-99

I have to say fireworks this year are amazing, allot better than last year. Won't say much as I dont want to spoil for those who are planning on attending, will be uploading a video on Youtube later for those not able to attend - well done AT!! Brilliant memories from tonight!
Last edited by Everton-99 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Cant wait to go on Sunday
Thanks for not including spoilers.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
Lottie.

Cannot wait to go and check them out for the next two nights! :D
Aidan Lowe

Just spoiled the fireworks display for myself by watching it on YouTube but can't wait to see it in person tonight with my friends & family :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As I unfortunately can't get up to Towers to see the fireworks in person, I've just watched them on Youtube... and I'm impressed. It's nice to see somewhat of a themed display, rather than just a remix of pop songs (although, there are still plenty of them).

Without giving too much away, memories are the prevalent core theme, and as such it created a surprisingly heart-touching display, and one which was also reflective not only upon this year, but the resort's lifetime since Corkscrew.

If that's the effect it had on me whilst watching them on a screen, I can only imagine that the atmosphere on park was magical, and will be continue to be so, over the coming nights. Simply, the display is an encapsulation of magical Alton Towers memories, and a reminder that there is still plenty more to come.
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

Mabalzich wrote: Just spoiled the fireworks display for myself by watching it on YouTube but can't wait to see it in person tonight with my friends & family :)
Can I have the YouTube link please? :)
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
Senator

Thanks NickiFan
Everton-99

I'm uploading my video I took last night now should be on soon - Have to say that if you're not planning on going to them this year, but would be able to, I think it is definitely worth going. Well done to Pete Cliff and his team as everything they have been involved with this year has improved!! bring on 2014!!

http://youtu.be/l2OY5P26V0k
Last edited by Everton-99 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cookiee_munster

two steps from hell. :)
Danny

I only watched first and last 5 minutes but that looked amazing! Really impressive, I think AT have out done themselves this year :)
bensaund

I saw the whole thing on YouTube and I do indeed like the story and the use of the rides. It was very good to mention old Corky. I didn't hear anything about Hex, the Hex music to fireworks and lights would have been a good choice.

Plus when they were doing the Corky, they should have cut over to the Flume music for 10-15 seconds to give that retro sound. There were only two sections where I had to fast forward as I thought it was boring, but I would have loved to have seen it live.

Loved the Smiler section and the finale.
If you go down to the woods today
Aidan Lowe

Fireworks were much better in person, my only gripe was it was freaking cold all day yesterday and I wanted them to be set off at 6pm so we could get in the car and get that heater on! Getting off the car parks took us 45 minutes :(
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Themeparksandy1981

Well it is November. So it's the risk you take. I last went to the fireworks 2 years ago and as I was a MAP holder I worked to 1pm and got to the park between half 4 and 5. Went on a couple of rides and had something to eat and went to wait on the grass area. After the display went on Hex and Duel as didn't want to queue in the cold and then went home.
Kirsty25

I was there last night and WOW. One of the best firework displays I have ever seen. The atmosphere was totally electric, the mood was awe and it was actually emotional. Pete Cliff's voice over was brilliant and even though it was my first fireworks and I was freezing cold, I can only hope next year's will top it and it definitely rivalled Disneys fireworks.

Key seems to be though to hang on park after the fireworks, get Nemesis and Air done then leave at 9pm as we were straight off the park (after a 45 min trek back to the car)
Coaster123

I'm a regular visitor to this forum even though I rarely post anything, but after witnessing the show last night (Sat) I feel it's only right to "publicly" applaud AT for this year's event!

I guess this season's seen plenty of ups & downs for the park (pun intended!) but has definitely ended on an "up"!  The atmosphere on park yesterday was simply awesome - yes there were stupidly long queues at times for some of the rides, but to me that just confirms the fact that the visiting public genuinely do appreciate this event and vote with their feet!  With a bit of forward planning and common sense we managed to ride all the major coasters and more besides at least once (without even contemplating purchasing a fastrack! :) 

After last weeks "issue" credit has to be given to everyone involved in bringing The Smiler back from "Oblivion" in time for the weekend - I shudder to think of the abuse the staff would have taken had this not been the case!

Anyway,…. the show itself……… WOW! :D

I challenge anyone to:
A. Show me a more rounded and complete fireworks show in the UK this year than what we witnessed last night!
and/or
B. Ever listen to Icona Pop's "I Love It" again without humming The Smiler's soundtrack!!!!!

It was great to see the return of a back story and was great to have the elements of interaction with the crowd leading up to the finale (there were families standing near us who were in complete awe and one lady had tears in her eyes at the end.)  The use of the custom "smiler" shells was a great touch too and shows that the AT fireworks are far more that just a few random bangs and flashes!  Whilst on that note, the "ground-shaker" mines they let off at the start of the show and the fireballs at the end of the Smiler sequence certainly hit the spot! I'm not sure if it was meant as a tongue-in-cheek, ironic inclusion or not, but did anyone else notice the inclusion of She Wolf (Falling To Pieces) in the Smiler segment? :lol: 

So, after 2 back-to-back Smiler rides in the dark the 2013 season draws to a close  :cry: What else is there left to say other than a HUGE well done to all involved - roll on 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Last edited by Coaster123 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgie

Coaster123 wrote: I'm not sure if it was meant as an tongue-in-cheek, ironic inclusion or not, but did anyone else notice the inclusion of She Wolf (Falling To Pieces) in the Smiler segment? :lol:
Not only that, but it was the smiler that called the "breakdown" of the memories in the first place!
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
JazzieJam

It was definitely busy, but well worth it, the most spectacular display I've ever witnessed. It pays to wait until after 9pm to leave, queue for the monorail was no bigger than when I went to Scarefest and only took me 5 mins to leave the car park.

Hoping next years event is even better!!
jackgcse

It was once again a very good Fireworks display, good story to the Fireworks (however I am more of a fan of Pop Music explosions, but most prefer the story, both are good), the only issues with the Fireworks was the smoke which covered a lot of the Fireworks on both Saturday and Friday nights (didn't watch Sunday's) but that's down to the weather and not really something Alton can control, (it didn't effect it to any extent, but could have been a little more 'HD' :P)
The other issue is there were not enough Speakers situated further up Towers Street, it was hard to hear the audio from anywhere further back than the grass, so just something to thin of for next year.
Overall excellent display, it was great to see the park buzzing and exciting.
Clever that Alton didn't open X Sector and the Dark Forest until 8PM spreading the park further, whilst it was busy and queues reached 2 hours this was towards 2-3 whereas the first 2 hours were literally dead both Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
themealgang

I saw the display last night. It was incredible.

Jubilee were once again at the helm and delivered a world class display to celebrate what has been a very significant year for the Resort. The lasers, fireworks (even the bang at the beginning which made me leap out of my skin!) to the finale and the chart music, it all blended together superbly.

Awesome job Towers. May it continue into next season.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us