Alton Towers 2013 Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
LevSusenka

I think at the end of the day its more a layout than a map.
Its biggest use I'm sure is to be a souvenir for people to keep after a one off trip.
Tryst

LevSusenka wrote: I think at the end of the day its more a layout than a map.
Its biggest use I'm sure is to be a souvenir for people to keep after a one off trip.
I have to agree with this sentiment. The map itself only bears a passing resemblance to the terrain and layout of the park and actually serves to make the place look a lot smaller than it really is. The following image shows the park area (no scale, sorry). See if you can figure out where everything is; FV and DF are certainly a lot further apart than the appear on the park map, and the hotels don't even feature. Also, you'll notice that the orientation is different - the park entrance is at the top left.

The projection of the park map is also very strange. I've tried to get the following image as close as I can to it. One of the things you'll immediately notice is that the hotels are a lot further away than they appear on AT's map - that's because the car-parks aren't included! X-Sector is also further from the entrance.

JaykeAT

I hope to see an updated map,one that actually works as a map AND something that will make people want to see a ride in person.
TheNigeC

I just hope that the map is better than last years.... ended up binning mine on both visits last year and going on a rampage finding out where everything was...

but surely a new map is needed with a new ride addition?
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
[/align]
truckaddict

TheNigeC wrote: I just hope that the map is better than last years.... ended up binning mine on both visits last year and going on a rampage finding out where everything was...

yeah because it was.when Th13teen opened the map was updated I think.

Bi and proud
Owen

truckaddict wrote:
TheNigeC wrote: I just hope that the map is better than last years.... ended up binning mine on both visits last year and going on a rampage finding out where everything was...

yeah because it was.when Th13teen opened the map was updated I think.
No it was updated the year AFTER TH13TEEN arrived  :)
Kenzie2012

Thillmad is right with this 1, the map wasn't updated until 2011 with the current style. They had a slight themed added with Thirteen opening and the obvious addition of that ride on the map, but nothing else.

All the maps up until 2011 can be found here...

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/maps/oldmaps.htm
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
CoasterCrazyChris

These are the map series since the park was owned by Tussauds:

1) 1991, 1992, 1993
2) 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
3) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
4) 2002, 2003, 2004
5) 2005, 2006, 2007
6) 2008, 2009, 2010
7) 2011, 2012...

They always seem to last for either 3 or 4 years. But I think they will have to create a new design for 2013 because there is simply no room for SW7 on the existing design.

:)
Themeparksandy1981

Do you think with the free wi-fi at the park they should be thinking of adding a park map to the app and it could lead you to the ride area you want to get to with GPRS?
They could also add more big park maps around the park just in case you ain't got a smart phone.
I always feel the park map when you open it out is 2 big so haven't picked 1 up in years as they ended up getting ripped,wet and damaged from quickly folding it back up.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheNigeC

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Do you think with the free wi-fi at the park they should be thinking of adding a park map to the app and it could lead you to the ride area you want to get to with GPRS?
They could also add more big park maps around the park just in case you ain't got a smart phone.
I always feel the park map when you open it out is 2 big so haven't picked 1 up in years as they ended up getting ripped,wet and damaged from quickly folding it back up.
Flamingoland already have this on there app.
and you can use it as a bit of a satnav as you wander round there park..

also i think the Ride wait times that they had on the scarefest app should also be transfered onto the normal app.
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

[/align]
Owen

TheNigeC wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Do you think with the free wi-fi at the park they should be thinking of adding a park map to the app and it could lead you to the ride area you want to get to with GPRS?

also i think the Ride wait times that they had on the scarefest app should also be transfered onto the normal app.
I thought this was already on the app about ride times
TheNigeC

thillmad wrote:
TheNigeC wrote:
just had a look, and so it is... last AT app i used was the scarefest app..

[/align]
oliviamae

thillmad wrote:
TheNigeC wrote:

This never worked for me
Danny

Take. The. Sodding. Hotels. Off. The. PARK. Map!

For people who are visiting with no intentions to stay over, it's a pretty useless feature to have the hotels and golf included on the park map. If they printed a separate resort map for people who want to stay over, so be it. But the standard park map should contain nothing BUT the park. They'll have so much more space to play with and will be able to really advertise SW7 without making X Sector look tiny as I imagine the park map will for this year. Infact, I can't even call it a map as I just see people standing, looking at it in a clueless manner as if it's supposed to help them navigate.
Michelle

I've always thought it would make more sense to have the main map focus on the park and have a smaller hotel/resort map on the reverse, similar to the one that Disneyland had when I visited a few years ago where the 2 parks were separate. But I am a fan of the 'crazy though not much use as a map' style as a piece of memorabilia!

Now we know that The Smiler isnt opening until May might we have 2 maps in 2013?  One which is essentially the same map as 2012 that would be used until May and then an entire new design from may onwards themed around the Smiler?
TheNigeC

12344321 wrote: Now we know that The Smiler isnt opening until May might we have 2 maps in 2013?  One which is essentially the same map as 2012 that would be used until May and then an entire new design from may onwards themed around the Smiler?
personally i dont think that they would dish out for 2 different maps to be printed up.. i think just 1 new map will be done with The Smiler and any other changes will be issued.

[/align]
schmatt

THIS!
http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/media/map.htm

Simple, shows the rides locations perfectly, paths and areas. All it need is a little touching up here and there and ride logos/names. Come on Alton its not that hard!
Kudos to whom ever made this btw! Its spot on  :joy:
If they really wanted they could move FV slightly to the right and squeeze in information about the hotels and golf, but it really shouldn't take up almost half the map!
haydn!

TheNigeC wrote:
12344321 wrote: Now we know that The Smiler isnt opening until May might we have 2 maps in 2013?  One which is essentially the same map as 2012 that would be used until May and then an entire new design from may onwards themed around the Smiler?
personally i dont think that they would dish out for 2 different maps to be printed up.. i think just 1 new map will be done with The Smiler and any other changes will be issued.
They've done this before. They did it in 2006 when they launched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the start of the season, and then issued a revised map over the summer when the Driving School opened.

They've also done it pretty much every year for the last 3-4 seasons, with a special 'February' map, a main season map, and then a Scarefest map so it's extremely likely we'll see something similar this year.
rgb1869

Am I the only one who found the new map really hard to follow in terms of paths and routes? I hadn't been to AT for a few years so needed the map to jog my memory and found myself struggling to follow it.