Alton Towers 2013 Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
truckaddict

What do you guys think the map will look like this year??? Really wanna know!

Bi and proud
Th13TEENGUY

Just a opinion but in the style of the one on the tt home page
LCFC til i die
SamSimkin

I hope a more magical style, but with a bit of a spooky twist
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
roary01

Well the first map we had since Merlin added Mutiny bay lasted for 3 seasons, 2008-2010

And the next style we have had for 2 seasons, so i can see us sticking with the same map style as 2011/12 for 2013 however it will have a SW7 twist.
I have to say im kinda glad, because the style we have at the moment will really work with SW7 and its theme. Hopefully it will be made a bit darker for the SW7 theme. Have to say if they do keep this style PLEASE PUT OBLIVION THE RIGHT WAY!
sebshep18

Does anybody have these as a pdf ?

thanks
Kenzie2012

The current map is an absolute abomination..... i hate it.

its been said over and over, as a illustration and an art piece, its pretty hot.... but as a map, you'd do better to wipe your rear after a curry.

i really hope they change it and i actually think they will... we're due a change, it's big ride year.

That does usually mean a new Map.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
DONT LOOK DOWN

I got lost on the way to Nemesis as it was my first time and personally I think the maps should have directions and like what things you should see like a sign or something to help. I ended up in Duel instead of Nemesis. :oops:

EDIT: Yeah I hope they go back to the old ones and why are they diagonal no maps should be! Even I got confused and I'm a cub scout and I am really good at maps!
Last edited by DONT LOOK DOWN on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
Liam-AltonTowers

The map we had from 2008 till 2010 was perfect, everything was just straight onwards rather than last years one where everyone was diagonal which is pointless and last years was just a mess. Hopefully 2013's one will be just like the old 2008-2010 ones.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
truckaddict

I doubt that they will change it, but if they do it better be easy to find where you need to go, but still very graphical. Maybe rather than having illistrations they should maybe have photos of the real rides. That would be really good.

Bi and proud
ryanlovesaltontowers

The current map does look amazing as artwork but as a map its terrible! There are no clear paths, and the rides are hard to distinguish as they are all too close together and overlapping!

They cant even fit SW7 onto the map!
oliviamae

The current map is very muddled, beautiful as it is. I'm hoping for something clearer in 2013, not that I tend to use the maps as anything other than memorabilia!
roary01

Have to be honest, from personal experience the maps are pretty pointless as most of the time, guests just ask staff, and i don't think a park the size of Alton and the way it is it could ever be given an accurate enough map to show guests every clear route around the park whilst showing all the rides and resort side.
I think the hotels/waterpark/golf really need to be taken off the the map and they need to have it as THEMEPARK only map as so many guests think the golf is in the theme park...
Also instead of trying to create a perfect map, the park should seriously invest in better signage around the park, so many guests comment on more signage and i do agree for the size of alton more signs need to show directions to areas, rides.
truckaddict

ryanlovesaltontowers wrote: They cant even fit SW7 onto the map!
Agreed. They will have to maybe make a new map otherwise if they add SW7 into that map we would all get lost. I just manage to make my around the park without!

Bi and proud
Themeparksandy1981

Why can't the park do a basic map like Disney do? My fav map was 1993/1994 it may have been a basic design but the rides looked where they should have be.
Adam

The thing to bare in mind, the Resort now has a new Marketing Director who will want to add his stamp onto things like the print media, like the map. So this years map may see some changes.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
DrReeve

DONT_LOOK_DOWN! wrote: I got lost on the way to Nemesis as it was my first time and personally I think the maps should have directions and like what things you should see like a sign or something to help. I ended up in Duel instead of Nemesis. :oops:

EDIT: Yeah I hope they go back to the old ones and why are they diagonal no maps should be! Even I got confused and I'm a cub scout and I am really good at maps!
duel is on the way to forbidden valley. So that's not a problem at least the map sent you in the right direction
Image credit to Lewis97
Kenzie2012

Going off other years... Lastyear in particular, we should see some snippets of the New look round the end of February and the full Map itself within the first week of March.

The Map should really take a new look this year aswell... a complete revamp uses comes with a new Big Ride or SW - Plus, it bloody needs it!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
LevSusenka

I cant really say I have used the map for a good 12 years but I so always enjoy looking at the new designs but yes as everyone is saying are they even functional  as a map? They should you what rides are next to each other and the general area they are in but would someone with no clue be able to use it to find their way?
Its much more likely they will just wander around till they find something, look at signs or ask someone. I'm sure we have all had families ask us at one point or another.

Although the maps do look nice I have felt the last few years look more like a level of the sims or even sim city than a directional tool.
scw55

With regards to Alton Towers, you only need to know the location of "Areas" rather than specific attractions.
You can use your eyes to see where Nemesis is. Yes, it's in a pit, but it's very hard to miss when you enter the Forbidden Valley. You can see Air from afar anyway. With somewhere like Chester Zoo where it's quite important to locate a specific enclosure, it is good to have a helpful map. Otherwise with AT cross-reference with information boards and sign posts.

Perhaps have two maps. One a London Underground-like one or OS map which is plane and dull but to the point, and a fancy arty none-map as another.
operationguard

I have to agree it is a shocking map atm. There are paths that dont even exist! Oblivion is the wrong way and by the scale, Air is next to rita?!?!?! 

They need to make some major improvements! And soon! :?

~Op [AT Legend]