THI3TEEN after three seasons:

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Marcus

THI3TEEN has now been with us for a while now. How well has it done as a whole?  Has THI3TEEN looked less like a building site and now has more greenery around it. (i.e in the woods and just coming out of the building) How many breakdowns and closures has it had? How well the theming has aged? Has the waiting time in queues been long? Iv'e heard that the queue line fence has lots of gum and graffiti on it which is a shame.
Henry

I think overall TH13TEEN has done well, the theming still looks good in my opinion and the trees have grown around the ride, to make the experience better.

Every time i have been, the queues haven't been too long, only 1 hour max. But that was in Scarefest and the middle of summer
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
aidan.rudge.92

I think that THI3TEEN has fitted in really well at Alton towers. Its suitable for all the family, have heard more positive reviews about it then bad. As said above, now that the trees and undergrowth are growing and interacting with the ride, its starting to really make the theme of the dark forest stand out.

As for the queue lines, i went last year in scarefest and couldnt really see any graffiti etc. I love the sound effects of the countup to 13 and the trees in the forest wrapping it round the alton towers van, making it look like the trees are bringing it in for submission.

Everytime i have been, there has been no faults or breakdowns with the ride, longest i have queued is 20mins.
Glad its here and hope it stays for a very long time

9/10
:D
Tryst

The Tesla coil wasn't working when I was there over Scarefest last year, which I was disappointed about.

Can't say I enjoy the sound effects in the queue either; the wet bone crunching effect sounds too much like the noise my knee made when I tore the ligaments in it :-X

The ride itself I thoroughly enjoyed. It was my first time on it and to me it seemed to be a lot newer than 3 years.
daveclarkedaveclarke

I think personally it has fitted in very well, yes it may not be the biggest thrill at the park but for families its a great addition. The surrounding area is growing up well around 13 and its looking part of the theme.

I wish the effects in the queue line were working all of the time, the tesla coil I would like be working more often. I also went a couple of times over scarefest and it wasn't working either day i was there. Ive never really seen a queue more than 20 mins on in nowadays which is always good.

Overall I still enjoy riding it as much 3 years on as i did in its opening year. 8/10
oliviamae

I do prefer it now. I try to ride every visit
tori_swift

I enjoy the ride and agree with the fact that the surrounding undergrowth is growing nicely which adds to it. Although I still think the queue is a let down as when I've been the fences have had graffiti on and lots of chewing gum. It's alright if you're not queueing for very long but overall not pleasant to look at. Although that can be a problem on most rides and it might look worse due to the fencing looking newer.
Owen

It's only had 2 seasons operating  ;)
CJH

Three seasons operating.
2010: The year I worked on the ride, part of the original staff for it.
2011: 2nd
2012: 3rd

Will be in its fourth season this year. I feel the ride has got slower over time. From when I first rode it, to riding it without the moveable brakes on the first drop, to riding it at fireworks, it gets worse!
Ok family ride I guess, just no where near as good as when I rode it before opening day or even in its first few weeks, (the days staff had to fill with water containers when there was not enough people to ride, in the morning and at end of day) rode so much better with minimal trims before intamin ruined it)
Chris 21 Manchester
Owen

CJH wrote: Three seasons operating.
2010: The year I worked on the ride, part of the original staff for it.
2011: 2nd
2012: 3rd

Will be in its fourth season this year. I feel the ride has got slower over time. From when I first rode it, to riding it without the moveable brakes on the first drop, to riding it at fireworks, it gets worse!
Ok family ride I guess, just no where near as good as when I rode it before opening day or even in its first few weeks, (the days staff had to fill with water containers when there was not enough people to ride, in the morning and at end of day) rode so much better with minimal trims before intamin ruined it)
I am sometimes very idiotic  :oops:
PeteB

I enjoy Th13teen but only because as a theme park enthusiast I'm not capable of hating any ride (perhaps with the exception of The Simpsons at Universal Studios), but I still see its as being a bit "meh" and pointless. It's very good fun in the dark at Scarefest or Fireworks though.

However, my main gripes with the facts still stand and that is that it still has no story, meaning or purpose to it... it still has blue fake ivy everywhere... the tesla coil is still rarely if ever working... and my non enthusiast friends still ask me if the ride is unfinished - although now that has morphed into "are they working on/repairing the ride" - due to the scaffolding etc.
Owen

PeteB wrote: I enjoy Th13teen but only because as a theme park enthusiast I'm not capable of hating any ride (perhaps with the exception of The Simpsons at Universal Studios), but I still see its as being a bit "meh" and pointless. It's very good fun in the dark at Scarefest or Fireworks though.

However, my main gripes with the facts still stand and that is that it still has no story, meaning or purpose to it... it still has blue fake ivy everywhere... the tesla coil is still rarely if ever working... and my non enthusiast friends still ask me if the ride is unfinished - although now that has morphed into "are they working on/repairing the ride" - due to the scaffolding etc.
Thats part of the story, these work men were un earthing the crypt when they went to the woods alone and when they went in side every thing went mad
JayTricky

PeteB wrote: I enjoy Th13teen but only because as a theme park enthusiast I'm not capable of hating any ride (perhaps with the exception of The Simpsons at Universal Studios), but I still see its as being a bit "meh" and pointless. It's very good fun in the dark at Scarefest or Fireworks though.

I'll agree with you regarding The Simpsons. What an absolute waste of space. It's the only ride I've ever been on (and previously BTTF) that made me feel physically sick.

Oh, and TH13TEEN -

A huge let down and anti-climax. No solid story that the GP understands, cattle pen queue line is horrid, first drop has trim breaks, outdoor section is boring and short, scaffolding still confuses the GP.... It's ONLY saving grace is that the crypt is pretty darn cool and unique, effective and rememberable.

It's not a thrilling coaster at all. It's not a world beater. It's going to win any awards. But am I a fan? Yes. Even though I can point out it's flaws, it's still a very good theme park ride and fits in well with Alton Towers. It's always worth queueing up for and it's still enjoyable.
Jammydodger

I think the trim added to the first drop kind of killed the rides pacing to be honest.
As a ride, now the high expectations have disappeared, I would personally class it along with Runaway Mine train;
A well themed, occasionally intense and generally a fun ride.

The woodland has really started to take over, and its making it look great too.
RollercoasterMad

Thirteen is still as good as its always been. The growing trees around make it even better and looking far more settled. It is a good addition to the park.

My only critism would be that it suffers from its theming and always has. Alton Towers built Thirteen up to be a scary ride with a 'terryfying' story; wraiths and the 'don't go down to the woods alone' story. However, when you ride Thirteen, it doesn't live up to these expectations because it isn't a terrifying ride, it leaves you laughing and in a joyful state. I think that is the reason behind some bad press. All in all, Thirteen is a pretty good ride and I  enjoy each time I ride it.
Can't wait to 'get corrected'!
oj

Thirteen is still a great ride, although the only thing that lets it down is that newcomers to the park, when seeing the ads (that generally display it as a high intensity, scary coaster) would make them think that, with the final result being a family coaster.
The Smiler is Coming...
SuperWill

I think Th13teen is a good ride! I have always enjoyed Th13teen whenever I go on it! So Th13teen should stay for a few more years to come! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
bensaund

The only thing which spoils rides like Th13teen and Hex is people in the queue telling everyone what happens, which is not what you want if you have people who have never been on the ride before
If you go down to the woods today
Altontowersbarlow

i love thirteen because its so unique and its really good theming and smooth running not really a thrill though great for people from like 12 untill like 20 i think rita ruins the theme though
Bullet Hell

Again, the unfinished theme makes a real mess of this ride. It wouldn't be hard to put up billboards explaining the theme (Hex style?) Although that itself would detract from the 'theme', casual visitors don't get it anyway so it would surely help more than hinder?

I believe that the more riders are invested in a backstory/theme, the higher they will rate the experience as a whole, and therefore will be more likely to A) Spend money on merchandise, B) Spread the word about the ride and C) Want to revisit a place they have become emotionally/physically attached to. (I speak from personal experience as I have such feelings for The Swarm and The Tower of Terror in Orlando)

This opinion isn't anything new or fancy - Merlin clearly know what they are doing with the huge investment in The Smiler and the associated merchandise/hotel rooms/game. It's a big shame they couldn't do this with Thi3teen - but something tells me they knew it would underwhelm and the marketing campaign was a half-baked attempt to inject some enthusiasm - which backfired.