Was th13teen really a failure?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jack

People i know are saying that th13teen was a failure when it was unveiled to the public but when i first rode it this year it became one of my favorite rides ever and i just don't understand why people thought it was a failure
The Moon

The ultimate thrill ride. Psychoaster. You must be over 12 to ride. We recommend no more than one ride per day. These are some of the claims made about a Zierier Tivoli bolted to a frog hopper. Complete failure.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Jack

recommended one ride???
I went on it 3 times in one day :D
Marcus

How in any way is it a failure? Its a family coaster..
Jack

i know i love the thing
Henry

TH13TEEN wasn't really a failure, yes Alton Towers may have hyped it up a bit much!
It is a good ride and most people enjoy it in my opinion!
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Tryst

I knew nothing about Th13teen before I rode it and that made it a really good ride for me. Too much hype can be a bad thing... fortunately I live under a rock so I don't notice.
Sam198

Marcus Assab wrote: How in any way is it a failure? Its a family coaster..
Yes, but the fact that it wasn't marketed as such led to many people being dissapointed because they were expecting something more thrilling. ;)
JayTricky

The Moon wrote: The ultimate thrill ride. Psychoaster. You must be over 12 to ride. We recommend no more than one ride per day. These are some of the claims made about a Zierier Tivoli bolted to a frog hopper. Complete failure.
Care to elaborate on why you think this?

It was marketed in such a way that it was always going to mix opinions. IF they had just done what they should have done, and been honest, said that it was a thrilling FAMILY coaster with a few surprises - then you'd see more people be surprised, thinking it would be really tame, than let down after thinking it will be terrifying.

It's purpose was to eat up the crowds, and it does - it was built to be a GP favourite, which it is. It's not failed in many aspects, as it's done what it was built to do. The only thing it's failed on is misleading riders into thinking it was scarier than it was, therefore leaving them underwhelmed.
sweedish2009

The marketing was a failure, the whole marketing team behind the ride should be made to sprint through Alton Towers with there pants around there ankles screaming "I will never market a roller coaster again, I will never market a roller coaster again".

If it wasn't built up so much by them to be this amazing thrill ride I honestly don't think people would be coming off it so disappointed. From a coaster nerd's point of view, it should never have been given the SW tag. It's not in the same league as the SW's. RITA was never an SW, and with good reason!

I actually enjoy the ride, it's something different. But overall, yes it was a disappointment, because of the build up and hype around it.
Last edited by sweedish2009 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Boz

Lets try to refrain from name calling, boy's and girls  [-X and try to keep replies constructive ;)
tallicay2k

I love the ride, one of my favourites in the park
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Robbbadobbb

I also love the ride, but can 100% understand why fans are disappointed due to the marketing, i was expecting much more of a thrill when i first went on it, but the uniqueness of it compared to other rides on the park make it a ride i always want to go on when i visit the park, it depends what side you look at it from.
MattsDesigns

I love th13teen. Its got a dark and backwards section, its got a medium level of theming but thats much better than nothing. The drop was a suprise to everyone even whether they read about it on the forum or rode it without prior knowledge.

Something no one seems to have mentioned is how this ride speeds back into the station through a small blast of smoke like some kind of fierce beast :twisted:
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
tallicay2k

“Through a small blast of smoke like some sort of fierce beast"

Awesome quote  :lol:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
daboywunda

2 1/2 hour queue despite a theoretical throughput of 1440 per hour? I think that's a success...
oliviameatsix

The more I ride it, the more I like it. Although, it doesn't compare to the other rides like nemesis and oblivion.
JayJay90

IMO I'd say the "failure" lay with marketing the ride. it was marketed as "all the coasters youve ever wanted to go on in one' 'psychoaster, a coaster that messes up your emotions, you have to sign to say you were ok to go on it, you had to be over 12 and only be able to ride it once because it would be that terrifying.'

however, the ride itself, I think is great fun! its got a bit of height, its got the drops and the fly through the forrest, the inside part always makes me jump and the feeling in my stomach is just osdhsdf lol...then its got the backwards section, its a great little family thrill ride and i think the only problem was with marketing.
Liam-AltonTowers

Thirteen is not a failure, it's a good family thrill coaster with detailed/well thought out theming. The track layout is quite good - it might not be that tall or as intense as Nemesis but then again were getting SW7 this year for all the trill seekers so it's not as if Thirteen is the only ride. It's a good family coaster aimed at all ages so everyone can have fun.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
sw7nutter

I think they should have tied the story more in with the story of Hex to make the story have some kind of relevence
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.