Was th13teen really a failure?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
leeprice

Like everyone has already said it's the marketing that's the failure, when I first rode it I was a bit apprehensive to find there was no OTSR and there was nothing to hold onto because I was expecting a much more thrilling ride. Nevertheless I enjoyed the ride, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

There was also a TV ad that was banned for the watershed that would suggest that they wasn't targeting a younger audience which is clearly what Th13teen is aimed at

MARKETING FAIL!
Last edited by leeprice on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Chimp

The marketing is clearly the bit they got wrong, but I regard the ride itself as a qualified success - I've enjoyed it progressively more since my first ride and taking people on that didn't know the twist was great fun.  However, and this is my biggest problem, for a ride that carried the SW label, I found the opening portion of the ride to be the real letdown.  It's less fun and thrilling than the RMT.  After that point, it's fine, but had the open air section been more entertaining, it'd make it a better all round experience.
NickT04

I want to say the marketing was a failure but clearly that's the wrong word, as certainly people flocked in to ride - so in a way the marketing was a complete success for the theme park!

But hey, it's been a tidy enhancement to the Resort either ways!
beanz32101

Hey people and fellow members  :) This is just my own personal opinion but has anybody been on th13teen at night time say like scarefest or fireworks? I go every year at scarefest and its always a ride we have to do in the dark

If not, youve got to experience it in the black of night, in my opinion its as if this ride was born to be ridden in the dark and it makes it such a more exciting experience, going through the woods in pitch black it seems faster and also its cold which adds to the effect also, then flying out backwards again into darkness it also seems faster :-) overall a much better ride at night in my opinion  :D

And then also the queue sections are much better when its dark and youve also got rita flying through near you too.

Does anybody else think the same as me? And also what other rides do you all think are better at night? Thanks for reading everyone  :)
Mike
bensaund

Th13teen was brilliant in the dark, it is a shame it can't always be in the dark.

I also found the RMT very good in the dark too, it is so worth doing Scarefest.
If you go down to the woods today
mixer114

th13een in the dark is a different ride one of my fav rides AT is a family park were i can go on all the rides with my grandson. th13een is a thrilling ride that you want to ride again and again. now the bugs are sorted it a great ride. AT do hype there marketing the one good idea is the sw thing get people guessing and wanting more
haydn!

Thirteen was far from a failure, and in terms of serving a purpose to attract guests to the park, the marketing was also far from a failure. However, the marketing style did not fit the finished product, meaning a few were left underwhelmed. But, the large majority of people still enjoyed the ride. It just wasn't the dark and mysterious thrill attraction it was made out to be.
Don't_Look_Down

Not at all! The ride has been running brilliantly this year, and people know what to expect from it now, so appreciate Th13teen for what it is.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
mousch

I really felt indifferent about Thirteen when i first rode it,but riding in the dark really changes the ride making it more like the ride they intended in the first place,and secondly after riding Verbolten this year made me realise that its the best family friendly coaster in the UK in my opinion.
dominoes

First time I rode Th13teen, I was fairly meh about it. However, I rode it a couple of months ago, and I really enjoyed it! Went second back row, and it was great fun! I don't think it was a failure, it was just overhyped. The advertising campaign was ridiculous. All that nonsense about the 16+ thing was silly, and it meant that the ride was a disapointment. The ride is great, but really doesn't live up to the things it said. But it isn't a failure.