People Smoking Outside Of Designated Areas

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jamie

They should have stricter signs around the park - especially in the queues.
Signs warning of ejection from the park would work a trick.  They wouldn't have to eject everyone smoking (tell them to put it out, then consider taking them out if they persist) but if the sign warned it then more people would take heed.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
obliviongirl

Inevitably, this happens, because not everyone is willing to follow the rules, unfortunately. Still, it's a lot worse at Thorpe Park- when I visited in August, I ended up with a smoker right in front of me and right behind me in the queue for Colossus, which wasn't exactly pleasant.
Kirsty25

I have to say after 3 days at Towers... The amount of smoking in queuelines is disgusting, be it tobacco or weed. I have an aversion to smoking and though I don't mind peoples right of choice, I dislike people smoking in the queue as it does make me cough, it always has done and probably always will do.

I saw during my 3 days on park around 20 -30 people smoking in the queueline and genuinely despair if people can't go without a cigarette for more than half an hour.
MisterRenz

I have noticed this on a recent visit, too. It's really annoying as the areas are pretty clearly sign posted. I even spotted a guy taking drugs in the park, right in front of a ride! The staff need to get this sorted and have people walking around the park areas looking for things like this. Queue lines are the worst places where they could smoke; it's especially bad for young children being exposed for that amount of time to the chemicals from it!
Lucieloo

I still say the old method of letting them get to the point of getting on the ride, and then one of the staff tells them to get to the back of the queue would work. I'm sure as word got round this would reduce it happening a lot.I know you are always going to get people who think that particular rules do not apply to them, but if my fiance who smokes goes to the designated areas, I dont see what right others have to think they are above Alton Towers rules and that they shouldn't do the same.
I suspect most staff are too aware that some of the chavs you get in there might kick off, so keep their heads down to it. Sadly until someone actually gets pulled up on it and the staff make a point of enforcing it then its likely to continue. When I was little if I dared break the rules i'd get a big telling off from my parents which made me think that way as I grew older and respect the rules for anything no matter how old you are. You can't do that these days, its a different world.
Last edited by Lucieloo on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
bensaund

On my last few visits to Thorpe and Alton I have not noticed any smoking in queuelines, but then again I must have be lucky.

What really annoys me is people walking down the paths smoking, it seems to be a lot worse just out side Rita and the path between the DF and the CCL Skyride station, I always get people smoking.

What I find frustrating is the number of members of staff and even security who just walk past these people and ignore it. Even with the heavy numbers of security/police on travelers weekend I didn't see anyone get stopped... maybe they were too scared something would kick off if they did say anything.
If you go down to the woods today
ollboll9

I understand that smokers want to smoke but personally I think it's selfish of smokers to light up around people. I fake cough and make them feel really guilty. I don't see any reasonable explanation why smokers think they have any right to break a rule which Alton Towers have put in place. As for smoking areas not being well signed, if I remember rightly there are signs everywhere, and there are ones for almost every area and path.

Just my view on things. I know that there's no damage it will cause to me, but I don't smoke and personally in a queue I dont want to be beside someone lighting up every 5 minutes. It's disrespectful. No different as if I were to start spitting in someone's face, just as disgusting and not caring for anyone around me and respecting their rights and the rules. But like I said, just my opinion.
Last edited by ollboll9 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poop. Always
Dom

I'm going to be honest, I broke the smoking rule only once when I was there. I didn't smoke in a queue and yes I do feel guilty about it. I will say this, unless you have a park map, the designated smoking areas are not that obvious. I remember looking around Forbidden Valley for one and could not see any signs whatsoever. I looked at the map when I got back and saw there was one near Air. The only one that I saw that was visible and clearly signed was the one by Duel.
Last edited by Dom on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

ollboll9 wrote: I understand that smokers want to smoke but personally I think it's selfish of smokers to light up around people. I fake cough and make them feel really guilty. I don't see any reasonable explanation why smokers think they have any right to break a rule which Alton Towers have put in place. As for smoking areas not being well signed, if I remember rightly there are signs everywhere, and there are ones for almost every area and path.

Just my view on things. I know that there's no damage it will cause to me, but I don't smoke and personally in a queue I dont want to be beside someone lighting up every 5 minutes. It's disrespectful. No different as if I were to start spitting in someone's face, just as disgusting and not caring for anyone around me and respecting their rights and the rules. But like I said, just my opinion.
  • How is it selfish to do something which is not illegal?
  • Fake coughing only makes you look silly - a smoker will not care and certainly will not feel guilty.
  • A reasonable explanation? its not illegal - AT can put advisory in, but they cannot make laws.
  • There are NO signs for designated areas - they are only available on the map or if you look hard for them.
  • Queue smoking is wrong - correct.
  • It is TOTALLY different to someone spitting on you - spitting is classed as common assault, smoking isn't
Lee

mikecloud1984 wrote:A reasonable explanation? its not illegal - AT can put advisory in, but they cannot make laws.
Whilst they cannot make laws, the land Alton Towers runs on is private land and as such they are legally within their rights to create policies that people must abide by whilst on their property.

The Alton Towers Resort is a family orientated environment and as such I think it's fantastic they target some of their policies to accommodate that target market. I assure you, I will not have my niece or nephews breathing in second hand smoke because someone cannot hold out for a smoking area.
Last edited by Lee on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

Lee wrote:
mikecloud1984 wrote:A reasonable explanation? its not illegal - AT can put advisory in, but they cannot make laws.
Whilst they cannot make laws, the land Alton Towers runs on is private land and as such they are legally within their rights to create policies that people must abide by whilst on their property.

The Alton Towers Resort is a family orientated environment and as such I think it's fantastic they target some of their policies to accommodate that target market. I assure you, I will not have my niece or nephews breathing in second hand smoke because someone cannot hold out for a smoking area.
And that is your perogative, I do not agree with smoking in queue lines, but unsigned, few and far between "designated" smoking areas I also do not agree with.

Discriminating against smokers is also wrong - especially when they are doing nothing illegal and they are abiding by UK law.

No customer is asked to sign a waiver/T&C's upon entry to the park. The purchasing of a ticket dictates that he customer has agreed to such terms and conditions and this is wrong.

I own my house and my land - I say murder is legal on my land - that does not make it right or correct!

AT can do things to "aide in comfort for all customers" - they cannot, legally, do anything about smokers as they are not breaking UK law.

Until smoking becomes illegal I am afraid everyone is just going to have to get one with it. Like smoke or not, you don't have a choice.
Lee

I think you'll find there's a stark difference between committing murder on private land and smoking. Alton Towers can remove you from the park from smoking. It is included in their T&C's of admission entry, that you agree to abide by at all times.

You may not sign anything, but there is an agreement in place by entering the park.
ollboll9

mikecloud1984 wrote:
ollboll9 wrote: I understand that smokers want to smoke but personally I think it's selfish of smokers to light up around people. I fake cough and make them feel really guilty. I don't see any reasonable explanation why smokers think they have any right to break a rule which Alton Towers have put in place. As for smoking areas not being well signed, if I remember rightly there are signs everywhere, and there are ones for almost every area and path.

Just my view on things. I know that there's no damage it will cause to me, but I don't smoke and personally in a queue I don't want to be beside someone lighting up every 5 minutes. It's disrespectful. No different as if I were to start spitting in someone's face, just as disgusting and not caring for anyone around me and respecting their rights and the rules. But like I said, just my opinion.
  • How is it selfish to do something which is not illegal?
  • Fake coughing only makes you look silly - a smoker will not care and certainly will not feel guilty.
  • A reasonable explanation? its not illegal - AT can put advisory in, but they cannot make laws.
  • There are NO signs for designated areas - they are only available on the map or if you look hard for them.
  • Queue smoking is wrong - correct.
  • It is TOTALLY different to someone spitting on you - spitting is classed as common assault, smoking isn't
1- It's selfish to do something like smoking in a confined space or crowds.
2- TBH I don't care if I look stupid and it kind of makes them look self obsessed if smokers honestly have that low a level of respect for other human beings
3- Fair enough but never the less they are there and it's obvious that the park has them, it's common knowledge.
5- Spitting was just an example, but same principle. It's something you don't want to have happen to you unwillingly. Admittedly, a bad example on my part. :oops:

Also, as I'm sure someone else has said, when you enter the park you agree to the parks T&C's. Regardless of whether or not anywhere else it's a rule. If someone came to my home (when I move out) starts to smoke, I would tell them and it's my home, my rules. Same principle with Merlin and Alton Towers. They respect the fact that some people don't smoke so place a rule that is fair for anyone. No smoking, apart from designated areas. I honestly cannot see how anybody can justify breaking that rule. Not to even feel guilty or do it regardless, that's another matter.
Last edited by ollboll9 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poop. Always
cybermen39

We stayed at splash landings on the 30th and in the morning, right outside the front door, everyone was smoking. Staff were coming in to work (7am ish, no one said anything). We are smokers and to be honest we don't go on rides, we go just for the park and gardens and just wander around. I say no to smoking in queue lines but other than that well.
Also a lady in her 60's was smoking on the wall with the tree in the middle of it just up from the Burger Company, so we joined her and she had no idea where to smoke and was not to bothered and too right too. You stop people smoking and you would have to get rid of half the staff for a start. I find this post pathetic because you won't and will never change and stop people smoking whilst walking around. We did smoke while walking around (not queue lines) and staff do not say nothing.
I know the entertainment staff and me and my partner was dressed as Captain Hook and Peter Pan and 1 member of staff said that's a first Captain hook and Peter having a fag. I'm leaving this post alone now so you can have your say but 1 thing for sure you won't stop it.
You'll be wanting Sunday service next before the rides open.
Last edited by cybermen39 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

The signage and staff need to be stricter, as almost nobody takes heed of these areas.
Worst of all, a fair few amount of people were smoking in queuelines when I was there in October/November.  Disgusting!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
mikecloud1984

Lee wrote: I think you'll find there's a stark difference between committing murder on private land and smoking. Alton Towers can remove you from the park from smoking. It is included in their T&C's of admission entry, that you agree to abide by at all times.

You may not sign anything, but there is an agreement in place by entering the park.
I have a list of terms and conditions that apply when you enter my property.

1 of the terms is that any murder committed on my property will not result in any police case etc.

You enter my property (automatically agreeing to terms and conditions and small prints that are not freely availiable to read or sign - you would have to ask for them from my customer services desk) and I kill you upon entry.

Let me stress this again - AT WILL NOT remove you form the park for smoking outside of designated areas because they HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT to do so. They will if you are smoking in queue lines (which i 110% agree with) - but you cannot make your own laws up!

As a point of reference, can I direct everyone to watch the Human Cent-i-pad episode of South Park.

I bet no one reads all 900 pages of the iTunes terms and conditions do they?

This post is getting ridiculous and starting to become a haven for people who do not like smokers/smoking full stop. AT have put in "lepar colonies" for the smokers to go stand in like farm animals - it waives my human rights and I will not be using them ever. I will walk freely, throughout the park, in the "fresh" air, in a non-confined area and I will smoke - just like I can do in any street in the country. 
Adz
Admin
Admin

As this discussion is largely decending into lunacy I'm now going to lock it.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The topic has now been reopened, but any further off topic or poor quality posts will be deleted without notice.
Jack

OK, after 2 days on park I noticed the following:

People do not have enough warning about designated smoking areas.

Staff don't really do anything about it (as cool as most of the staff are :))

Half of the people smoking weren't smoking the usual...

I now think that Towers as a whole need to crack down on this issue as it is not pleasant being around smokers when they are smoking (I understand it's a choice, but I do not wish to be affected by this choice), and I can understand why these people were not using DSA as well, as there is A) not enough of these areas and B) there isn't enough warning about the fact that you have to light up and stay in DSA while smoking.

And yes, the staff don't seem to mind about the amount of smokers, but if I were a member of staff I would want to make sure  that ALL guests were happy and that people abide by the rules. Added to this, there are a lot of people with weed, it needs a massive amount of attention as 50% of the smokers were using this instead of tobacco products.

This is all observation and don't wish to make it seem like a personal attack as I don't care if people want to smoke, I just don't want to be inhaling this and hope that ATR can sort this issue.
Last edited by Jack on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikecloud1984

jackandylan123 wrote: OK, after 2 days on park I noticed the following:

People do not have enough warning about designated smoking areas.

Staff don't really do anything about it (as cool as most of the staff are :))

Half of the people smoking weren't smoking the usual...

I now think that Towers as a whole need to crack down on this issue as it is not pleasant being around smokers when they are smoking (I understand it's a choice, but I do not wish to be affected by this choice), and I can understand why these people were not using DSA as well, as there is A) not enough of these areas and B) there isn't enough warning about the fact that you have to light up and stay in DSA while smoking.

And yes, the staff don't seem to mind about the amount of smokers, but if I were a member of staff I would want to make sure  that ALL guests were happy and that people abide by the rules. Added to this, there are a lot of people with weed, it needs a massive amount of attention as 50% of the smokers were using this instead of tobacco products.

This is all observation and don't wish to make it seem like a personal attack as I don't care if people want to smoke, I just don't want to be inhaling this and hope that ATR can sort this issue.
Can I ask what you do in the high street when walking past a smoker?

This is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Smokers are coming into the park, and aside form those smoking in queue lines, they are sticking to what they know - smoking in open air is perfectly fine and legal in any other part of the country - yet it is not in Alton Towers.

Of course people are not going to change their habits until they are told to by law.

Do Thorpe have DSA? I don't remember seeing any when there in September.

Also, the AT DSA are in stupid areas, not sign posted at all and not on the map. I, as a smoker, feel that if AT want to "crack down" on this then they need ot be fair about the situation.

As said before, I shall continue to smoke whilst walking around the park.