Is Sonic Spinball safe?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
leeprice

GrapeWizard wrote: What?

You can only see it after you've been let through the merge of the fasttrack and main queue so even if you were queuing 10 minutes for it you'd be able to see it
I wasn't actually queuing at all. It was a very quiet day and I wasn't really looking out for the shaking
tallicay2k

Tom G wrote: This ride is perfectly safe.
Legend.... :lol:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
altontowerskid

To sum it up, I'd say the ride is safe but it's also the ride I'd be least surprised to see an accident on :)
Hitch

Air shakes quite alot in some parts aswell, I think they all do but as the other guy said, "Relax.. Sit back and enjoy the experience. "
altontowerskid

James97 wrote: Air shakes quite alot in some parts aswell
Air is probably the ride I'd least expect an accident to happen on. Shakes or no shakes, B&M have tried and tested mechanics and the best build quality of all coaster manufacturers. I don't think that can be argued with :)
Jack

i think its safe because of understanding why it shakes, but there is one bit that i don't think is safe...the RESTRAINTS,  and not because they don't do there job properly, but they overdo there job, every time i go on it now i get very bad cramp  :dizzy:
Hitch

jackandylan123 wrote: i think its safe because of understanding why it shakes, but there is one bit that i don't think is safe...the RESTRAINTS,  and not because they don't do there job properly, but they overdo there job, every time i go on it now i get very bad cramp  :dizzy:
I always wonder about airs restraints because they don't have a seatbelt and I wonder what would happen if it failed mid ride, and I came out with my legs still attached I the train.
Last edited by Hitch on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

to be honest I would prob :censored: myself laughing at the sight of a someone getting dragged round a roller coaster by their ankles ;) (not the agonizing death bit obviously)
Nightfall

It is quite a funny thought.

Not going to happen though. Air's restraints use several massive locking pins (you can see the holes they slot into to give an idea of scale). Even if one of them was to somehow shear (very unlikely) the other could still hold your full weight.

and I'll let you into a little secret, those seatbelts on the other rides are almost useless, they serve no purpose but to reassure people. Sure they would stop the harness flying up if it was to release but it's never happened to my knowledge.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Boz

you are right in that they are purely to reassure people, However I am aware of an occasion where they have saved a few lives. But I'm not a liberty to say unfortunately, the contract i signed at Thorpe still applies to that sort of info :(
LPAJ13

Secret times about OTSR's....

On B&M coasters (Nemesis etc) - The strap means nothing. It serves no purpose apart from a visual emphasis on safety for non-coaster enthusiasts.

Launched Coasters on Intamin (Rita etc) - Again, the strap means nothing.

Lap-bars - these are again locking systems.

A.I.R. B&M coasters (Air etc) - It is a double locking system. one of the back of the harness and one where the lap area is.

All kind of locking harnesses/lap-bars use a locking system which means they will not come undone unless via a station release or key release. Parks will not open a ride if any part of the ride is unsafe or fails during evening and morning testing. Morning testing is done by the tech team and then the ride op. All paperwork is signed and counter signed to cover H&S (legally, only needs to be one signature)

Most coasters these days have sensors which unless the locking system has functioned fully at the station/on-load stage, it will not be allowed out of the station, in fact, it will not be allowed (the way they are now programmed) to even have the command to send the train.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
tallicay2k

lead piping wrote: Secret times about OTSR's....

On B&M coasters (Nemesis etc) - The strap means nothing. It serves no purpose apart from a visual emphasis on safety for non-coaster enthusiasts.

Launched Coasters on Intamin (Rita etc) - Again, the strap means nothing.

Lap-bars - these are again locking systems.

A.I.R. B&M coasters (Air etc) - It is a double locking system. one of the back of the harness and one where the lap area is.

All kind of locking harnesses/lap-bars use a locking system which means they will not come undone unless via a station release or key release. Parks will not open a ride if any part of the ride is unsafe or fails during evening and morning testing. Morning testing is done by the tech team and then the ride op. All paperwork is signed and counter signed to cover H&S (legally, only needs to be one signature)

Most coasters these days have sensors which unless the locking system has functioned fully at the station/on-load stage, it will not be allowed out of the station, in fact, it will not be allowed (the way they are now programmed) to even have the command to send the train.
Well put buddy, if you need reassurance come to leadpiping  :D
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Sam198

tallicay2k wrote: Well put buddy, if you need reassurance come to leadpiping  :D
You have no idea what that 'reassurance' would involve... :shock:

;)
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

On Air as the train tilt another locking pin slides out of the arm rest.

A bit off topic.

On Expedition Everest at Disney if the seats are empty the lap bar is left open.
MC4

I think that all/most rides at alton towers are safe :D all rides shake its just the vibrations from the fast moving cars :) when i was last at alton my friend and her mates went on air, they sat down in there seats and they there tilted upwards as you are :) and then the safety bars jolted forwards and her friend almost fell onto the station floor :( slighty off topic but like i said Most rides are safe ;)
altontowerskid

MC4 wrote: when i was last at alton my friend and her mates went on air, they sat down in there seats and they there tilted upwards as you are :) and then the safety bars jolted forwards and her friend almost fell onto the station floor :(
When you say, "jolted forwards", I would assume you mean the restraint just locked into place, giving the slight feeling that the restraint was going to open - not that the restraint actually opened, meaning she could have fallen, because that would be a lie :lol:
tallicay2k

I fell out the ride once, luckily I fell on the netting. I said to myself blimey that was lucky......
SEEK...AND...DESTROY