2012 fireworks

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Luce

Personally, I enjoyed the fireworks even though they weren't as spectacular as last years but can appreciate where the criticism is coming from.  It certainly didn't seem as massive as the previous displays I've been to at Alton Towers but I guess that's down to budget cutting.

Hopefully things will improve for next year :)
oliviamae

PeteB wrote:
oliviamae wrote: To be fair, if you were disappointed with Alton's fireworks, you're not going to be satisfied with any display. I honestly think that, at times, people expect a little too much from AT.
Have you seen the shows they did between 1990 and 2006?
I meant more in 2012, AT against other displays. Like for example comparing AT's to other events, attractions also happening this year. It's the best of the bunch at the time, whether you prefer their previous efforts or not.
Vkumar3908

yeah i kind of agree with you there. It was a big improvement since last year and they have done their best with all the limits they have now than in 1995 - 2004. They have a length limit and a height limit and can only run them for 3 nights. And, unlike previous years they havent had as much time to prepare the fireworks this year whereas there was always an adreneline week or an event such as that to give them time to prepare them. I appreciate their efforts on the fireworks this year, theyve done better then last year. Feel free to disagree but this is what i feel ;)
onair

Looks like they were expecting big crowds this year but never got them. It was busy but you only had to look at the extra car parks not used and how easy it was to get out after.

Biggest mistake they made was not doing the late entry ticket and looks like many went elsewhere because of this.

Yes these days there so many other displays that are worth seeing. They really need something new  and to up their game with the wow factor. After this years display I not sure if I will even bother going next year now. Everything is becoming same old same old with The Towers, maybe with the new ride next things may change but think its unlikely they probably think ahh we are getting the visitors in for the new ride so will make further cuts on scarefest and fireworks.

So glad that I actually can say I saw the displays in the good old magical days at Towers.
Last edited by onair on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bringbackthevintagecars

sorry if this has already been mentioned, but who did the music for the fireworks? there is some good mashups in there and i can't really see one of the higher members of staff getting his groove on with some music software, wrecking the place up!  :D hats off to them if they did though  :O
BRING BACK THE VINTAGE CARS!!!              PLEASE
PeteB

The mashups and mixes aren't made for Alton exclusively. They are "off the shelf" pre-made mixes available from sites like Master Mix Digital.

Somebody just picks a bunch of 3-4 minute mixes and joins them together in one long file. Got yourself a 20 minute show then.

No idea who actually picked them and put it together though. Could be anybody.
bringbackthevintagecars

thanks for the info Pete, but feel abit less impressed now, thought they might of had them specially made for the display. Personally, they were still good choices.
BRING BACK THE VINTAGE CARS!!!              PLEASE
Ripsaw Raver

to me the best of the alton fireworks was 2002 when i believe the theme was Terror Of The Towers, Fireworks and Lasers to MonaLisaOverdrive from Matrix Reloaded...pefection followed by Vivaldi and ITHOTMK that was awesome, i went to the music themed one and found it really cheesy but i think that was the effect
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
PeteB

Ripsaw Raver wrote: to me the best of the alton fireworks was 2002 when i believe the theme was Terror Of The Towers, Fireworks and Lasers to MonaLisaOverdrive from Matrix Reloaded...pefection followed by Vivaldi and ITHOTMK that was awesome, i went to the music themed one and found it really cheesy but i think that was the effect
That's 2003.  The 2002 show was the battle of the elements - Earth, Air, Fire, and Water!  :D
Ripsaw Raver

ahhh thankyou! i can finally place it to a year lol, was i right with it being The Terror of The Towers!

Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
PeteB

Ripsaw Raver wrote: ahhh thankyou! i can finally place it to a year lol, was i right with it being The Terror of The Towers!
Yes they had Terror of The Towers that year but I think the theme of the firework show was kinda mixed in with that and also Duel which was a new ride that year. I remember there was some obsession with Zombies and the laser segment was designed to represent shooting like you do with the laser guns in Duel.
Ripsaw Raver

OMG i tottaly get it now! haahaha i cant believe i didnt get that connection at the begining, i just remembered the bloke say i think we can chase the zombies back in to the grave with lights lol

Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
CA2000

PeteB wrote: The mashups and mixes aren't made for Alton exclusively. They are "off the shelf" pre-made mixes available from sites like Master Mix Digital.

Somebody just picks a bunch of 3-4 minute mixes and joins them together in one long file. Got yourself a 20 minute show then.

No idea who actually picked them and put it together though. Could be anybody.
Yeah I use "Propellerhead Reason 6.5" along with "Cubase", but you could make a remix like what AT used on free software like "Audacity". You'd just need the acapella as some of the mash-ups are made up of one song, with another songs vocal over the top.

As you rightly say, a few songs mashed up and you've got yourself a 20 min show.
Its much easier to pick it apart when you work in the business, as yourself with Pyro.
PeteB

Yep, I'm also very familiar with the likes of Cubase and Reason as I was audio engineer a few years back. Still have a studio but rarely use it these days, unless I'm asked to do the soundtrack for a firework show.

If you're looking to make these kind of mash-ups though I'd say Ableton Live is your best bet. Almost does it on the fly once you've set the tempos.
CA2000

PeteB wrote: Yep, I'm also very familiar with the likes of Cubase and Reason as I was audio engineer a few years back. Still have a studio but rarely use it these days, unless I'm asked to do the soundtrack for a firework show.

If you're looking to make these kind of mash-ups though I'd say Ableton Live is your best bet. Almost does it on the fly once you've set the tempos.
Yeah I use Abelton a bit. Their warp function is good for mashups. Keeps everything in check. But now Reason is a fully fledged DAW. I could probably do it here. Having said that, I don't actually make many mashups I prefer to make my own stuff. I'm just pointing out that it can be done on home software.

Suppose I was kinda referring to the guy who claimed there was loads of work put into this years remix lol.
Harold40

I enjoyed it, was good to see the Towers lit up too :) I really enjoyed the ice cream from the ice cream van too yummy :)
What's a signature? Is this to complete the activation of my account?
CA2000

Harold40 wrote: I enjoyed it, was good to see the Towers lit up too :) I really enjoyed the ice cream from the ice cream van too yummy :)
Its good that people enjoyed it. I dread to think what you would have felt if you saw the old day displays. You would have had a major excitement overload right there and then !
NickT04

I said I'd return when I had more time, didn't expect it to be nearly three weeks down the line! Once again I visited for all three displays, stopping over on the Friday night with my Mum and Dad. I enjoyed all three days, you can all moan and whinge about budgets and back in the day, but we are in the here and now and I still believe it will be one of the best displays in the country at this time of year. The girl I took with me on Sunday said it was "the greatest fireworks display I've ever seen" so at least some people were happy! It did amuse me on Saturday night though when buying some bouncebacks two elderly woman came in to complain saying they thought they were rubbish because there was "no need for the fireworks to be so loud." Silent display in 2013 for those two then! The Towers and trees look superb when lit, don't think I'd ever tire of that!

Now while I did enjoy it overall I do think the music to fireworks routine has been "done" now and I will join the bandwagon in being critical if we get the same again next year. I'm hoping with the publicity around SW7 we will get a story/themed display around that ride. Special mention for the bounceback tickets I bought on the Saturday for the Sunday however, while I only brought my friend for the display, she could of had a day on the park and the fireworks for £5! Rediculous value!