2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
JaykeAT

Well with the 2012 event over,we should probably start discussing what will come of next years.My hopes are

Zombie gone as far away from Alton as possible (possibly Staines)
Cos and ToTT given a refurbishment and the sanctuary to stick
better lighting (we can hope)

What are your hopes?
altontowers101

Maybe The exit now for ToTT and Sanctuary exit made part of the Sanctuary and connects (somehow, like goes over the path to Oblivion) and is more connected to SW7.
Just an Idea.  :D
Also like how all the smoke from Zombies was in and around DF maybe pump that around the entrance to the park to give it a more spooky feel!
W@LLI$

Everyone knows that TOTT needs a new story, but lets hope that Alton Towers still keep it as good as it is!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Jimbo

Just watching Derren Browns Apocalypse. I think it would be good to collaborate with him to get a really immersive, psychological experience. He's the master of the mind. :-) I think it would be interesting to see what he would come up with in regards to a scare maze
SamSimkin

Jimbo wrote: Just watching Derren Browns Apocalypse. I think it would be good to collaborate with him to get a really immersive, psychological experience. He's the master of the mind. :-) I think it would be interesting to see what he would come up with in regards to a scare maze
That's a brilliant idea! Especially if somehow they didn't know it was a maze  :shock:
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
bensaund

Lighting is one area they really need to improve on. Thorpe may have got almost everything wrong IMO, but the one thing they got right was the lighting, maybe because its all permanent lighting and not temporary lighting brought in.
If you go down to the woods today
tallicay2k

Jimbo wrote: Just watching Derren Browns Apocalypse. I think it would be good to collaborate with him to get a really immersive, psychological experience. He's the master of the mind. :-) I think it would be interesting to see what he would come up with in regards to a scare maze
It is a good idea yeah but i wouldnt want Derren Brown to be a part of it as i dont believe him.
Dont get me wrong tho ive also seen Apocalypse and its good entertainment.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Randomizer462

I love the Carnival, i would like to have abit of an update though, i think using the Goal striker was a brilliant idea and i think the outside part should stay as it is brilliant, The Sanctuary should stay, Tot should get an overhaul it is very muchly needed, Another Scare Zone, Maybe Zombies updated or get rid of. Another on park maze to bring the total up to 4, 2 scarezones, Hex: live? and Duel: live returns, with lighting of 2010, If that happend i would believe it would be the best scarefest yet!
quackers

I want Duel Live back for next year, i miss it, gives it the Haunted House feel again when they did it.
jackgcse

If they are to keep COS they need to change it to how the Psychos Circus was at Port Aventura, which was more about gore, and the horror of the circus, rather than illusions, and go for the more Psychotic clowns, in effect doing something like Se7en at Thorpe Park, but Circus themed, however I would rather it go!

Why can't Haunted Hollow be the Terror Zone, and I do feel the Terror Zone needs to not be classed as an attraction, because peoples expectations are far too high for what it is!

The lighting is the only thing that really needs to be done, its not like its just a few days the lights are used it is also used for Scarefest and Fireworks, just think how many thousands see the park full of diesel generators!!! Not a great message to portray!!

I don't feel we need Duel live back because it is already an established Halloween attraction...however Haunted Hollow needs its lighting sorted.

Maybe it is time for TOTT to have a complete overhaul, I would recommend something like The Sanctuary to be the main free Maze and TOTT to revert to the old story line and make it a pay attraction!
Last edited by jackgcse on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam B

nah they couldnt do that! If anything I think MERLIN should give Alton a lot more money for scare fest. have 2 scare mazes inside the park (with a tiny bump up of admission) and 2 at the hotels with standard scare maze price! If its money problems there having then merlin should bail them out considering its the top attraction in the UK if not Europe now!
GrapeWizard

Zombie: Scare Zone to be replaced with a walkthrough of the Ropers house, that would be the scariest attraction.
Jammydodger

I really adore CoS, but I think its safe to say its on its way out, if not this year, definitely the next.
Its getting old and tatty, the illusions are too samey and losing their effect, and its been moved so many times, it would just be nice to see a maze that was built to fit the area its housed in, rather than the bodge job that it felt like this year.

The Sanctuary will no doubt stay, although the story will inevitably change slightly with the actual opening of SW7, but I don't really feel they need to change anything about it.

ToTT needs a shake up, but I don't know if it will happen just yet. Once The Sanctuary leaves in a few years, I'd really like them to make a massively elaborate maze based around the whole of the towers, both the indoor sections and out, kind of like the 1000 screams.

And it goes without saying, they need to sort their freaking lighting out already. I really can't comprehend how they managed to make it EVEN WORSE that the abysmal 2011 effort. 
Rocket

I don't think carnival will go.
It's finally in a place that fits it, I think my runs have been better this year than any other year, its improved a lot.

Currently it is a must do at night attraction as the outside sections are more effective at night.

Ok so maybe they need some new tricks in there, the trommel needs coloured lights rather than the strobes oh and of course it needs a real ending, maybe 2 or 3 clowns all come out at once? As there are soo many hiding spots in the last room.
RobStandley

I think Scarefest has been on a slight decline since they decided to move the exta mazes into the park! I always remember the outdoor section of the Boiler House when it was out of the park! It was really authentic and actually made the experience more realistic! I just generally think the quality of the mazes back then including TOTT were better!

Maybe this is just my own belief but obviously the tight squeeze on the budget is beginning to drain the life out general things around the park and Scarefest! I'd love for them to turn around and totally suprise us next year with a complete re-hash of Scarefest; however, with SW7 launched next year, I can hardly see them shelling out a load to do that!

Another satisfactory Scarefest coming up in 2013 no doubt!
Ripsaw Raver

I think we will defiantly see the return of Sanctuary but with a slightly more evil vein, instead of trying to convince you to become an Advocate of the establishment it will more play on that you can Visit the original project behind the ministry of joy and see how the past patients are getting on.. However as you enter the Sanctuary a frantic and angry Kelman rushes forward shouting at nurses not to let this group PATIENTS leave and once again he is hellbent on insuring a permanent smile. As you escape Kelman and head further into the Sanctuary you realise you have fallen into a trap and that the past Manically smiling patients are waiting for you.

I would like to see the C0S return but only if it is outside the park again and you enter a big top where you sit on wooden benches only to have the lights turn out and an announcement say Roll up Roll Up its time to die! and you have to escape through the backstage areas of the circus where the creature lie in wait.

Zombies:Scare Zone hmm scrap or keep. personally i would like to see it stay but more Intense much more intense. Like utilise the bus from FOTS and have a proper ending like. After heading through the war zone warned my military personel that the area you are passing through has been pumped with a neurotoxin gas that has made most of the zombies rather docile. However a you are about 3/4 the way in you notice a lack of fog/gas/mist and that up ahead a soldier is running towards you telling you to get out of the area. that the gas has stopped and you are in very real danger and most importantly GET ON THE BUS! You all get on bus and realise the dead end. Soldier runs back on bus wounded saying WEVE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE! he strikes up the bus just as a horde of zombies swarm on he is pulled away and bus lights strobe as the rest of the zombies make there way up to you.
Another soldier bangs on the back door scaring people but opens the door telling everyone to get out and run!the door slams shut as the last person exits and the zombies are seen clawing at the window as the smoke builds in the bus. A quick docontam through a tent as you HEAR the door of the bus smack open and the impending zombie horde head your way followed by gun shots( just as you entered the tent a metal fence barricades you in simply on a sliding mechanism.)You think its over but the zombies collide with the fence trying to get at you as you are told for the final time to run to the fog barrier. A metal archway with vapor sprays and strobes You exit the area and have just survived the Zombies:Scare Zone
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
oliviamae

I think the whole zombies thing is a bit overdone. I would really like to see it replaced with something similar, but just with something other than zombies. Those scarecrow mutants as described from an Altonville Motel report (can't remember who, sorry!) could be an option?
Liam B

Its the fact that Zombies are zombies... they move slowly, don't jump at you really just kinda walk towards you. so there was no real jumpiness of the scarezone . A knew Idea needs to be thought up for it! fast moving things :P
Vkumar3908

I don't think it looks nice for the terror of the towers and the sanctuary to have crammed together queues. I think the sanctuary should have a new enterance because it wll give both mazes a bigger atmosphere as well if they had a bit more space.

or

Maybe a new incarnation of the carnival of screams?? I can't help feeling that theres so much more potential for this maze. I liked the concept of the clowns escaping the circus that happened mid-way through the scarefest event. They should do something like that again!

I think they should put a few live actors in Hex to give it a bit more life on scarefest. Its been there for so long and its lost its suspense and mystery atmosphere it used to have...

I really hope the bring in thirteen in the dark back. It was an amazing idea. (sigh) One person has to ruin it for the rest...

Definatly the return of TOTT and TS of course. But id like to see a new TOTT incarnation or plot line since its been the same for the past few years now.
GrapeWizard

The Boiler House when it was outside the park was the best and 'scariest' I thought.

When you were taken outside and then there was a noise so you 'hid' in the shed, and then you were stooping so when the the hamble came out he couldnt see you, then he turned around and ran at the shed and was kicking the doors down whilst the man screamed for you to escape through the Boiler House itself.. good stuff!

Don't know whether its feasible or not, but a Scare maze through the gardens might be good.. with the theme being around a deranged gardener or something? ;)