2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
Jammydodger

Unless they release more, I think this will probably be the first Scarefest I sit out in a long long time.
That is a truly abysmal line up.

A maze that has been free for the months, based on a ride that probably wont even last until Scarefest starts at this rate.
A maze that has become worse year on year, only with the added bonus of we have to now pay for it.
A maze that relies on illusions, that only work the first time round, and don't fool you the second time.
altontowerskid

Jammydodger wrote: That is a truly abysmal line up. 
I think that pretty much sums it up.

That is unless, they have decided to hold information back about Scarefest, but something is telling me this is the whole line-up - which in short, is a disgrace for the UK's best theme park. I know the events team may have a limited budget, but special events are the time when the park must be putting on it's best show.

If this is the finalised line-up, I would expect huge things from the park in terms of theming, lighting, sound etc.
Altontowersbarlow

If we are paying this year for Terror of The Towers then obviously there has to be something new from it this year. The Carnival of screams will probably be the same but because it has been there for so many years, they have made it free, and if the sanctuary was free and now you have to pay for it again I would think there would be something  new to that as well. Zombie scare zone is probably going to stay the same but I don't think that the line up is that bad, is it?. has anyone got any pov's of the scare mazes, and if so can you post them here please.
Thank You  :D
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

This is the first time in about 5 years that my annual family Scarefest trip is not happening. (Used to get a group of around 25 of us to go) But due to the lack of effort put in by Towers/Merlin and the lack of changes and constant budget cuts year on year, we are giving it a miss. I'm sure we won't be the only ones giving it a miss this time around either...

Same, stale mazes. Same stale "themeing" and lack of lighting, add in the hours cuts too, this is shaping up to be one of the worst Scarefest's they have done. Such a shame, as the potential is so high, and it used to be so good!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
thejibberaffegroup

Why don't Alton towers just add the boiler house and change the location? This could replace either The Sanctuary, Carnival Of Screams or Terrror Of The Towers. They could also do it in a custom shelter or the old Circus Of Illusion tent.
Lucieloo

Count-Vonduel wrote:
Lucieloo wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote: The park being open longer = people not feeling rushed and being more relaxed which = people BUYING and eating more food and taking time to look around the shops.
I agree. Have sent in a feedback form to Alton saying that we are really upset about this decision. Hopefully get a response back none the less. Has anyone actually had a response from them at all regarding this?
If not then thats positive really.. could mean that its not set in stone and when they see the uproar they will change it back to how IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
how do you send feed back to them, i tried but i just ended up with an online form that was very hard to use
Just that form I'm afraid.. If enough of us send something in they will have to respond.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
magicman85

thejibberaffegroup wrote: Why don't Alton towers just add the boiler house and change the location? This could replace either The Sanctuary, Carnival Of Screams or Terrror Of The Towers. They could also do it in a custom shelter or the old Circus Of Illusion tent.
Because adding the boiler would also be going backwards. The boiler house became dated and lost fright factor. A whole new scaremaze is needed. The Sanctuary is a welcomed return and I'm happy to pay for that as with TOTT considering they up date it and give a new story. COS is free so There is no excuse to moan about it making a return. Zombies return is good as its free, but I would like to see it bigger and more actors. If they bought back Duel live or hex live then It will be a good line up this year. considering they sort the lighting out. Everything just needs updating. Also it would be nice to see a new scaremaze situated back at the hotel grounds. Something extreme for adults only.
Dom

in the few times ive been to scarefest i must admit i have felt like they have been loosing it. i have never been on tott but ive done boiler house and carnival of screams. i will say once you have done the mazes once they dont surprise or scare. i think one year AT needs to go all out on scarefest. new scare mazes, new scare themeing, actors, the works.really spend some time planning, and getting it to what it could be.

i would make forbidden valley get more aliens so like attack of the nemesis army with lighting music etc etc
x sector would get ministry of joy employees and 'victims' wandering about with creepy music and possible some weird and creepy magicians walking about.
dark forest would have wraiths walking about and just generally have a darker feeling to it.
gloomy wood would not be so scarily themed as duel is sort of family based. so make duel go live and have a corple of zombies and other creepy things walking around. hex would also go live.
katanga canyon wouldn't be so horrily themed because you cant really go proper scary with it.

i just think if AT actually put some thought into it they might actually make it special again
thejibberaffegroup

We need a new maze for 2014
RobStandley

I think the recent questionaire they've asked for people to complete online may have a fairly significant say in the running of this years scare fest. I'm another one who's been going year in year out and I'm not happy in the slightest with the park going backwards in terms of scare fest! With so many more scare mazes and scare attractions popping up around the UK in recent years, I think this will really discourage those travelling from long distances from actually coming. Other scare parks & mazes are actually upping their game to a level above and beyond AT (in terms of the mazes themselves).
Liam B

Anyone else seen the hotel prices for this apparent off peak point in scarefest? It's the same price as it is for the whole of scarefest! You would think they would at least lower it a bit!
lucy2244

I think this year we definitely need to see some actors in and around The Smilers queue line, and some spooky theming to be added around there too.
I've never been to a scarefest but I'll definitely be going this year and I'm looking forward to seeing all the theming and those little extras that just make it magic! For me, when attractions celebrate the Halloween period, they have to go hard or go home. And even-though it's a long shot for merlin, I'm hoping they'll spruce things up a little bit with added theming around the park, and not just leaving it the same with the odd worn out maze or two. The atmosphere is a big part of Halloween and without that it probably wouldn't exist :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

lucy2244 wrote: I think this year we definitely need to see some actors in and around The Smilers queue line, and some spooky theming to be added around there too.
The Smiler seems to have quite a good team of ride ops, as some of them trying to play along to the theme. On my visit, the ride op who was controlling the queues just before the baggage drop would intermittently let out a high pitch laugh, and jump out on people as they went round the corner and up the stairs.

As good as it would be to have actual actors, it's hardly the best queue to try and incorporate them into. Perhaps, they could have them roaming around X-Sector instead, and they could be marmalised advocates?
Ripsaw Raver

what about in the exit path, just a couple of very smiley looking people stood in the middle of the corridors staring at you hehe that could be creepy, having people forced to walk past them awaiting a scare
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Double H

[quote="Lucieloo"]
[quote="Count-Vonduel"]
The park being open longer = people not feeling rushed and being more relaxed which = people BUYING and eating more food and taking time to look around the shops.
[/quote]

I agree. Have sent in a feedback form to Alton saying that we are really upset about this decision. Hopefully get a response back none the less. Has anyone actually had a response from them at all regarding this?
If not then thats positive really.. could mean that its not set in stone and when they see the uproar they will change it back to how IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
[/quote]

I agree with you guys I sent this to them

To whom it may concern.

I am writing to you in a rather upset and disappointed manner in regards to your changes of opening times of the Scarefest this year. I am due to visit your park on Tuesday 22nd to Thursday 24th October during the Scarefest. I come this week, as I have every year, to avoid the queues but mostly kids that will be on half term the following week and to get the full enjoyment and experience from the event. I have booked to stay with you at The Alton Towers Hotel back in January. I booked up early as this is one of your more popular events of the year and hotel space fill up fast.

I have attended and enjoyed your Scarefest Event for the last 4-5 years but I think you are making a huge mistake changing your closing time from 21:00 to 19:00 from the week of 21st to 25th (which is the week I am attending) but will maintain the closing at 21:00 for the following week (half term week) as well as both weekends on  the Saturday and Sunday. I have to say I am extremely disappointed in this change. When I booked this event and paid the price for it, which is near enough a small fortune and doesn't come cheap that time of year, I was under the impression that I would be stay late in the Park until 21:00 to 'ride the rides after dark until late'. At that time of year, it doesn't get dark until 17:30 - 18:00 which means essentially that I will not have much choice which rides to ride in the dark. Bare in mind that it takes a good 30 minutes or so to walk from the Dark Forest to the Forbidden Valley as the skyride connection will not be running at night which means that myself and many others will have to make a choice on one location and stay there or risk not getting on any rides after dark!

As I have stated before, I have booked and paid to stay at The Alton Towers Hotel for 2 nights for this event and paid at the start of the year (as most people did)  during the week that I am attending you have decided to change the closing time for. The cost of rooms at your hotels (Alton Towers Hotel more specifically)  are rather expensive but worth the price that you pay if it means you can experience the full extent of event and ride the ride to late in the Dark. However, why is the price for this week exactly the same as the following week when the park is open to 21:00? Also, I have noticed that though you have changed the parks closing time for that week, you are still NOT allowing Early Ride Time to compensate your guests.

When I booked to come during the first week of your event, there was nothing to say that the closing times were to be changed or had already been changed. I am disgusted that you can lead people to believe that if the pay the price you charge for this event that they can 'ride the rides after dark until late' as advertised and then change the closing time to just after dark but still advertise that the rides can be ridden 'until late'.

I live in Essex and it takes me around 3 hours to get to yourselves traffic on the M1 depending. My wife and I have both booked time of work to attend this event to which seems now to be rather pointless. The reason we, and as most do, attend this event is for the once a year opportunity to ride our favorite rides after dark and stay in the park until late. The reason we now see this a pointless is simply because your opening and closing time leading up to the Scarefest is 10am-6pm other than the day before the event where it is 5pm but we all know the reason for that (decorations etc need to be placed over night). If the closing time is 6pm before the event, I might as well have booked my trip any time during the year to come and paid less as I will only be gaining an extra HOUR in the park during my visit.

Though your theme park seems more family orientated, I can't help but think that your Scarefest event is aimed at the more older population and older teenagers. On your page it states this about the mazes

Mazes are not recommended for children under 14 years of age. Steps, uneven walkways, confined spaces, loud noises and live actors feature in the mazes.
If this is the case, then mostly adults or the older teenagers will be attending these attractions over the young population. For the adults they are more likely to attend the first week of the scarefest to avoid the younger kids and teenagers that will be on half term the following week. Though there are still long queues for the mazes (Terror of the Towers in particular) there are still queues for the rides as well which in turn takes hours out of your day. Its a well known fact that your mazes become more iconic after dark. The zombie live experience has a complete change in its effect from during the day to the night which is well worth the experience. If the you change the closing time, people will not experience this effect. However, please bare in mind that most mazes do not open until 4-5pm ish which means as the day goes on, people will become more concerned with getting on a ride after dark before you close the park rather than experiencing your mazes which in that time may only manage 1 or 2 rides before be asked to leave the park.

Every year, I leave your Scarefest event with the highest expectations and asking for more for the following year but I have to say due to your recent closing time changes it has gone down in my expectations. I admit I was rather disappointing when you announced that duel live! wouldn't be making a return but I do believe that you are making a wrong choice with your decision to alter the closing times. This will not sit well with alot of people that feel the same as myself. If it wasn't for the fact that I looked at your opening times on your website I would never had known of the change and I would have attended (as many will do) with the assumption that I was staying late in the park to ride the rides after Dark not ride the rides at Twilight/Dusk. The is nothing on your Scarefest page to state anything about the time change actually is quite contradictory. Your page merely states ' Rides and attractions are open from 10:00am, with most rides open in the dark until late' which gives me the impression that I can say in the park on everyday of the event until late!

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision to change the parks closing time during the week of the 21st to 25th October. I am sorry to say, that if these times are to stay the same as they are now, I see no reason for me to attend next year and may even consider not attending this year. I will not attend during Halloween week as I wish to avoid the kids at the event and wish to attend the park when it is more quieter occasion whilst also enjoy the Scarefest festivities in all their glory, the key things from that being the Scare Mazes, the entertainment but most of all to experience my once a year opportunity to ride my favorite rides AFTER DARK UNTIL LATE!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They responded with this as an excuse

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your upcoming visit to the Resort. Given our reputation as the UK’s favourite Theme Park we are never complacent about our customer experience and we take the comments and concerns of our guests very seriously, as such feedback allows us to ensure that we are continuing to deliver a fantastic level of service to each and every one of our guests.

In light of our recent research into the way our guests utilise the products offered during our Scarefest event we have made some alterations to our opening times. This allows us to target our resources in the most beneficial ways to ensure that our 2013 Scarefest event is more outstanding than before.

Once again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I do hope that you are reassured of our intentions to provide the best experience that we possibly can and that we may look forward to welcoming you to the Alton Towers Resort soon.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Samuel Hall
Alton Towers Resort
------------------------------------------------
And yes they did get another message back as this didn't answer my question.

Thank you for your response. I still fail to understand how you plan on making the event more outstanding than previous years by reducing the amount of hours that your customers are allowed within the park.

You are there for restricting their enjoyment by depriving them time to do what they, including myself, paid all the extra money to stay and attend the event for - to ride the rides after dark! As you are still advertising on your website page. By cutting the hours, which you have done, you have not allowed alot of time for people to achieve this experience which, as I have stated before, is one of your most beneficial and key attractions during this event. So in hindsight you have potentially made this event unbenefical to those wishing to avoid the kids on half term the following week as well as the chance to ride ALL the rides that will be available after dark. 

I can just about guarantee you that your research did NOT suggest that your customers did not ride the ride until late after dark. I have been in the park on every scarefest I have attended on that week and there has always been alot of people still within the park. Yes the week prior to the Halloween week was probably quieter as the kids weren't on half term but you will probably notice that the park during the day was a lot quieter in comparison. Comparung the previous week to Halloween week makes the comparison quiet superfluous to be honest as we all know that week will always be busier. However, changing your times will only make this week quieter as people will no longer wish to attend your event on that week which renders rather pointless or is that your plan for next year to reduces the weeks?

I don't see how changing your times for that week when people have booked and paid the extra for it, is meeting customer satisfaction and the customers needs?? Especially that when they booked this they were under the impression that they were allowed to stay within he park till after dark and ride the rides till late, as states in your website. Your scarefest page has nothing to state that the week before Halloween week has different closing times, so people will spend the money on to go that week with misleading information.

I have paid alot of money for this experience that I only get once a year and I walk away full satisfied by the event but with the new closing time changes I don't feel this will be the case this year, as much as I hate to say it.

-----------------------------------------
so I hope this works.
Double H

Count-Vonduel wrote: I have sad news, after using previous Towers Nerd live scarefests to work out when it gets dark I can confirm that it will be roughly 6.40pm, which means that everyone in the first week will only have 1 hour of dark ride time. :(
That is totally ridiculous. we all go that week to avoid the kids and Halloween rush, we all pay the same price as the following week and this is how they treat us. Needs to be changed to a dayfest if you ask me, whats the point in paying the extra to stay in the park if you only get an extra hour over the usual closing time and get the choice of 1 or 2 rides after 'dark'?
  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
swalesuk01

Also with the loss of ERT in effect the majority of people attending either through MAP, hotel guest or advance booking won't get any extra time in the park. Personally they either need to go all out like Thorpe park and charge a premium to get in rather than the individual mazes or like I found when i attended Canada's Wonderland you open later. Which I must admit put Altons and Thorpes to shame, I appreciate they go for Halloween more over there but the maze that impressed me the most was in fact a 3D maze which at first I was skeptical about buying the glasses but they were well worth it. Especially the 3D wall paper where someone would blend right in and jump out which got everyone as they could reset in different locations. All you need to use it like the ice age ones just re brand them which would cost them little in the quantities I bet they order in and if they wanted to make a little more money charge £1 for them as people will pay for them. Last year almost everyone I saw doing the mazes had paid there $1 for them so lets say conservatively they sell 500 a night over a week they could bring in £3500 in extra income. Also they made T shirts for the event you could buy to say you had been, again something cheap to make but with a good mark up.
Double H

They seriously need to come up with something to counter act it. As you say, over that event they do not allow early ride time so we lose more time in the park which isn't so bad when when you know your staying the park until 9pm. Really, the prices they charge is ridiculous as you don't really gain anything now if you think about it. If there is no ERT and no 9pm closing you still have the same hours in the park as you would have had 2 weeks prior with ERT. the only differences being you wouldn't have the mazes (but by changing the times, there won't be a lotta time for them) and it would have cost about £150 or so less to stay in the hotels for 2 nights. The park would still be alot quieter so no major queues mid week. The parks open time including ERT for the weeks prior would be 9 hours and during the first week of the scarefect is 9 hours with no ERT offered, so what do we gain?

Most people (other than thoses waiting on the scare rooms) would have booked this event already before the closing time changes which is misleading and potentially false advertising. 2 and half months before the event they then alter the closing times (which still isnt clearly stated on the webpage BTW) and do not offer any compensation for it. I have booked to stay on the 22nd to 24th mainly to avoid the kids and Halloween rush. I know it was early but I booked mine back in January to avoid disappointment and then end up feeling rather disappointed anyway due to their time change.
Lucieloo

Ha check out my response..
Basically its a copy and paste job thats being sent out to everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your upcoming visit to the Resort. Given our reputation as the UK’s favourite Theme Park we are never complacent about our customer experience and we take the comments and concerns of our guests very seriously, as such feedback allows us to ensure that we are continuing to deliver a fantastic level of service to each and every one of our guests.

In light of our recent research into the way our guests utilise the products offered during our Scarefest event we have made some alterations to our opening times. This allows us to target our resources in the most beneficial ways to ensure that our 2013 Scarefest event is more outstanding than before.

Once again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. I do hope that you are reassured of our intentions to provide the best experience that we possibly can and that we may look forward to welcoming you to the Alton Towers Resort soon.
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Danny

More outstanding than ever before?
  • Opening hours towards 11PM like some parks are doing RIGHT NOW, in summer.
  • Perfect park wide lighting compared to previous year's dismal efforts.
  • Top quality resort wide entertainment on the park and at the hotels.
  • Magical theming, more than just scattered pumpkins and hay.
  • Clear to see and easily comprehensive maze story lines.
  • Atmosphere to top 2009/2010 Scarefest events
When I see the above factors come into play, THEN and only then will be it be "more outstanding than ever before". I'm keeping my expectations low this year and I can still see myself being disappointed.