2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
jackgcse

Or maybe they ought to think about doing a HHN style ticket, Day ticket and Evening Tickets!
Whether that be Halloween Tickets in the evening or just a reduced Ticket for after 4ish, either would work, something that does not compromise the very limited evening running the park actually has!

Its a knock in the teeth considering Thorpe Park are extending opening to 9pm this summer!
Last edited by jackgcse on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD1991

jackgcse wrote: Or maybe they ought to think about doing a HHN style ticket, Day ticket and Evening Tickets!
Whether that be Halloween Tickets in the evening or just a reduced Ticket for after 4ish, either would work, something that does not compromise the very limited evening running the park actually has!

Its a knock in the teeth considering Thorpe Park are extending opening to 9pm this summer!
I don't think they have content to warrant doing HHN style tickets, the universal parks are literally jammed with haunted houses and scare zones etc so nowhere is safe. They're also a lot more extreme than Alton so there's always the chance to get the kids out when they kick people out for the evening lot !
I'm Hilarious.
Count-Vonduel

When you think about it, by changing the closing to 7pm, they are actually losing money becuase most people (well most fans at least) like to do the mazes once in the day, and then again when it's dark. Just look at previous Towers Nerd lives for example, if there is no dark ride time, then there is no double maze riders.

If merlin are going to cut opening hours, then at least cut them for Chessington for example, because at least at Chessington, there is no mazes to miss out on, and to be honest, most of the visiters will be children who will be too tired to stay there late, and it will effect less people than at Towers.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Alex

How do you know they are loosing money by shutting early??? For all we know they could be saving money as people pay the same cost to get in but they  have to pay the employees for the extra hours and the rides are open longer so greater operating costs.
Count-Vonduel

The park being open longer = people not feeling rushed and being more relaxed which = people BUYING and eating more food and taking time to look around the shops.
Lucieloo

Count-Vonduel wrote: The park being open longer = people not feeling rushed and being more relaxed which = people BUYING and eating more food and taking time to look around the shops.
I agree. Have sent in a feedback form to Alton saying that we are really upset about this decision. Hopefully get a response back none the less. Has anyone actually had a response from them at all regarding this?
If not then thats positive really.. could mean that its not set in stone and when they see the uproar they will change it back to how IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Count-Vonduel

Lucieloo wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote: The park being open longer = people not feeling rushed and being more relaxed which = people BUYING and eating more food and taking time to look around the shops.
I agree. Have sent in a feedback form to Alton saying that we are really upset about this decision. Hopefully get a response back none the less. Has anyone actually had a response from them at all regarding this?
If not then thats positive really.. could mean that its not set in stone and when they see the uproar they will change it back to how IT SHOULD BE!!!!!
how do you send feed back to them, i tried but i just ended up with an online form that was very hard to use
ROYJESS

Yesterday I've complained to Alton by using the online feedback form.  The website said they try and reply within 7 days but the confirmation email says 10 working days for a reply. I'll let you know how I get on.

Today I've notice that they have change the wording on the website removing the 21.00 closing time, now reads "There is something for all thrill seekers and families, with tons of terrific rides, blockbusting attractions, amazing live shows, and weird and wonderful costume characters. The Theme Park will be open until late! Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to ride your favourite rides in the dark!"

I'm hoping that Alton will do a U-turn on this.  Fingers cross
mac359

http://www.altontowers.com/events/Hallo ... ttractions
Confirmed mazes released!
Terror of the Towers has replaced Carnival of Screams as a paid maze and Zombie Scare Zone returns :roll:
Carnival of Screams is free :O
Count-Vonduel

BIG scarefest update

So I was just on Towers Nerd Forums when I saw a post with alot of interesting stuff in it and (from my point of view), a possible Carnival of Screams re-theme, (possibly with zombies).

The Towers have been cleared for the mazes.
vvv

If you notice, the red/green lights from the Sanctary can be seen through the door way.
vvv

This was taken from the Skyride. If you look above the shops in the Dark Forest, you can see the mirrors that were used in last years Carnival of Screams.
vvv

This is the path that was used for last years Zombie Scarezone, (at least I think it is), with some Scarefest theming being stored on it next to the old Feild of 1000 Screams bus.
vvv
Here is the same pic just zoomed out.

Quote from Towers Nerd forum
"Should also mention the "photo-op" pumpkins are being stored at the exit of the scare zone with some big presents"

We also have a real puzzler regarding the mazes, this image was released in a press release as a cyriptic hint.
vvv

Alot of people over on Towers Nerd think that it is somthing to do with the film Dead Silence, but to me it looks more like that puppet thing from last years Carnival of Screams promo image.
vvv

Also notice that the hand looks undead, my theory is either false information to build hype or a zombie re-theme of Carnival of Screams.

What do you think?

EDIT
I also noticed that on the AT website under family attractions, (Scarefest), it has 2 listed attractions, one being the Trick or Treat Party-live on stage,
and the other being Franklins Freaky Fun Zone.
Here is the description for it.

(Quote from Alton Towers Website)
Join Franklyn, Skelvin, Patch and Phil as they take over Fountain Square and transform it into a colourful Halloween Playland, filled with spooky attractions, theming and activities that are perfect for young families! Attractions include; 

“Skelvin’s Spooky Storytime”

Join Skelvin as he shares silly spooky stories which are perfect for little ones.

"Phil & Franklyn's Ghoul School'' 

Franklyn has forgotten how to spook, so Phil needs your help to remind him. Some and see their brand new show and stick around afterwards, as Phil and Franklyn might want to meet you! Be there early as this spooktacular show is bound to be popular!

''Patch's Freaky Talks'' 

Join Patch three times daily as he talks about the creepy creatures in Franklyn's Freaky Fun Zone. Discover how these seemingly normal animals take a spooky twist, when the Scarefest moon casts its eerie shadows.

''Character Meet and Greets with Franklyn and Friends''

Joining in with all the spooktacular fun with meet and greets, photo opportunities and more, remember to keep your eyes peeled for the “Famous Freaky Four” whilst out and about! 

Notice how it says fountain square instead of the Old Macdonalds Farmyard.
Last edited by Count-Vonduel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackgcse

I always felt they should charge for TOTT and the other 2 free, but I am not sure about JUST COS being included, that does not seem totally right, mind you The Sanctuary and TOTT far outweigh COS on many levels, and yes COS has the possibility to increase throughput, but hmm, all seems a bit odd by Alton.
I am shocked to see COS making a return I must say, it was not good the first year and still isn't!
JD1991

That top picture is the release poster for Dead Silence definitely. Though I would have thought that was a bit hardcore for Towers. Nevertheless if it's mannequins I'll be crying like a baby in a corner somewhere.
I'm Hilarious.
mac359

The top picture is definitely Dead Silence, just search it into Google haha!
However i do think that Carnival of Screams could do with a newer theme or story-line just to make it that bit more scary and newer 8)
Liam B

Where has this talk of charging for terror of the towers come from? even though it does say you need to book your ticket on the website it still states "Terror of the Towers will open daily from 1pm-9pm - Entrance is included within your Theme Park entry ticket!"

EDIT: Also I believe new scenarios will appear for the mazes as they are the exact ones from last year so I'm hoping with this talk of zombies in the carnival that this is only a teaser and new stuff will be announced. If not I shall be peeved!
Last edited by Liam B on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count-Vonduel

I have sad news, after using previous Towers Nerd live scarefests to work out when it gets dark I can confirm that it will be roughly 6.40pm, which means that everyone in the first week will only have 1 hour of dark ride time. :(
Count-Vonduel

There are a few little changes to the AT website and somthing that I simply missed.

It kept saying open until 9pm, but they have changed it to until late.
Website quotes
vvv
Rides and attractions are open from 10:00am, with most rides open in the dark until late!
vvv
The Theme Park is open each day from 10am- till late throughout the event. Early Ride Time is not available during this period.

There is also a few changes to the copy and paste job they did with the mazes.
vvv
Uncover a dark and horrifying secret, hidden for centuries. It is said that Vampires infest the Towers and hunt the living. Dare you brave the rubble and hazards of the ruins and uncover the horrific chilling terror that lies within?

Book your Scare Maze tickets online - coming soon!

They have removed the bit saying that TotT is included with the park entry.

Also somthing that no-one seems to have noticed is that it does not actually state that the scarezone is free.
vvv
Scare ZoneAn abandoned road holds a terrifying secret. There are rumours that the un-dead are walking the earth. Brave your way through this post-apocalyptic nightmare and pray you make it to the other side.

Somthing else I missed was that the Trick or Treat doors will be in Franklins Freaky Funzone instead of at the bottom of Tower street like last year.
vvv
Patch has arranged a spooktacular party and everyone is invited! Dance along to this silly stage show which families will love! This spooktacular show is part of the spooktacular “Franklyn’s Freaky Fun Zone” line-up! 
Yet it's not part of the Franklins Freaky Funzone line up.

Lastly they have changed the image for Franklins Freaky Funzone from this.
vvv

To this.
vvv
But without the halloween logo
which can be seen here http://www.altontowers.com/events/Hallo ... ttractions
Altontowersbarlow

I might try the scare mazes this year does anybody know what they are like? Thank You :D
Count-Vonduel

altontowersbarlow wrote: I might try the scare mazes this year does anybody know what they are like? Thank You :D
I'm hoping that as compensation for the early closing, they will do ANYTHING different with the mazes, but I'm guessing that it's just going to be the exact same as last year.
Liam B

Let's not jump to conclusion. I myself think that they MUST change TOTT. Literally whoever is sitting in the company going "yeah another year of the exact same thing sounds great that will keep this event unique!" is a complete waste of space and should leave right now haha
Count-Vonduel

Count-Vonduel wrote: I have sad news, after using previous Towers Nerd live scarefests to work out when it gets dark I can confirm that it will be roughly 6.40pm, which means that everyone in the first week will only have 1 hour of dark ride time. :(
This news is terrible, it turns out that I caculated wrong, after I re-calculated I figured out that we will have NO dark ride time in the first week as the rides close at 7pm. Really, I think NO dark ride time at all is just unfair oh and the best part...they are advertising that there will be at least some dark ride time everyday I would of expected to at least have 1 hour as it's kinda promised to us even if they have to open the park at 11 insted of 10.