Do you think Oblivion is a rip off?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
wowk94

Many many people including a lot of my friends always complain that Oblivion is a 'rip off'. They say this because they complain about the long queues in peak season and that it's basically just a drop and a little banked curve and that's it. I myself love this ride and disagree with these statements. What do you think about Oblivion? Is it worth the Wait?...
BowMan

You can see what the ride does and should know what the queue line is. If you think the queue's too long then don't ride. Simples.
Image Thanks to Lewis97
Tom G

Nah, the drop is the scariest/best in the UK.
roary01

Well its your friends against the 14 years its been at the park, it gets the queues because people want to ride it, and it is one of the most intimidating rides i have seen..
As has been said above, if you don't want to queue your not being forced to ride it, but id get the rides on it this year because next year its queues will probably be longer with SW7 bringing all the guests focus to X-Sector, i say enjoy it while its quiet!
ImURNemesis

Oblivion has the best ride capisities in the park. So they don't have a right to complain on that front.

You've got to remember, the british public will not see things from an enthusiasts point of view. Theming, Atmosphere backstory coaster type, forces, airtime ect.
The Moon

In 1998, nothing like it existed. The extreme track gauge, the wide cars, the sheer steepness of it diving into a giant hole... Rip off? Nah.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Rob
Admin
Admin

Hardly a rip off, there wasn't and still isn't anything like Oblivion.
oliviamae

not at all, and to tell the truth - i prefer it if there is somewhat of a queue, as the queue lines / entertainment keep me excited and anxious, and at that point i both do not wish to be anywhere else and at the same time as far away as possible. the pause before the drop is always terrifying and it always feels like riding for the first time again.
Boz

The ride still has the intimidation factor, even after 14 years at the park. In my opinion it's still one of the worlds scariest drops.

Oblivion... The worlds first vertical drop roller coaster, still the worlds deepest tunnel on a roller coaster, and still the only coaster that enters an underground tunnel, vertically!

Yes, it is worth queuing for!
ImURNemesis

Boz wrote: The ride still has the intimidation factor, even after 14 years at the park. In my opinion it's still one of the worlds scariest drops.

Oblivion... The worlds first vertical drop roller coaster, still the worlds deepest tunnel on a roller coaster, and still the only coaster that enters an underground tunnel, vertically!

Well, the drops angle is 88.8° so its not really a vertical drop. Still a brillient ride!
Kenzie2012

ImURNemesis wrote:
Boz wrote: The ride still has the intimidation factor, even after 14 years at the park. In my opinion it's still one of the worlds scariest drops.

Well, the drops angle is 88.8° so its not really a vertical drop. Still a brillient ride!
There's always 1....
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Luce

No I don't think Oblivion's a rip off - it managed to intimidate me before I rode it for the first time but as soon as I'd been on it, I loved the ride and still do.  The exhilaration as you go through the tunnel is always awesome and I never get tired of it.  I guess Oblivion leaves a lasting impression on riders and continues to do so - just goes to show how good it still is in my view :)
leammiles

its the fastest roller coaster at Alton Towers so i wouldn't say its a rip off
PeteB

Lets not forget that Oblivion has huge capacity, in fact its probably the highest capacity coaster in the UK. The queues easily move quick enough.

So yes, it's worth it.
Themeparksandy1981

Well I been on the ride at Busch Gardens Tampa and the coaster may be longer with 2 drops but it doesn't give the same feeling as Oblivion does. It maybe just a drop but it's a very forceful drop.
scw55

ImURNemesis wrote:

Yet the seats are cheekily tilted so that the riders are in fact vertical when it goes down. Nah-nah-nah-naah-nah.
Marcus

Haha I didn't know the seats are tilted so its actually vertical!  :P
PeteB

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Well I been on the ride at Busch Gardens Tampa and the coaster may be longer with 2 drops but it doesn't give the same feeling as Oblivion does. It maybe just a drop but it's a very forceful drop.
Completely agree with you, and because Sheikra has 3 rows, if you're on the back one you don't even get held on the edge of the drop.
ImURNemesis

The persitioning of sits may make the ride vertical but the drop it self isn't.
The Moon

Incorrect, the seats are angled back, so it is less vertical than the track angle, which is why you fall backwards into your seat on Oblivion.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...