Best and Worst Queue Lines At Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kenzie2012

At a guess, your going to be looking at 30-60 mins for the first year pretty much solid.

This is going to be a popular ride.... the only problem i see atm is this.......

That Que looks absolutely sole Destroying!!!!

But i'll still be there on opening day, 6am arrival if i have to.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
GrapeWizard

The longer the better on opening day! For my first ride i don't care how long the queue is, I'll queue it all the from spinball if I that's where it is.
Want the full experience, the exciting buzz of the atmosphere through the queue, doesnt bother me for my first ride on opening day. After that though probably wont queue if it's over an hour
Stan.H

I know that this is an old Topic, but just came across it, and thought that we could give it a new lease of life, considering there have been several new queue lines at AT...

Lets Start With The Best...

1.) Nemesis - mostly due to it having many different angles of the coaster, and builds up the suspence the closer you get to the coaster (nearer, and nearer to the loop). Its just the shame that the waterfall wasnt working for a percentage of this year.

2.) Oblivion - despite me not enjoying the ride itself, I have been through the line several times, and its themed pretty well, as the build up is intense, and makes you very nervous the closer you get. But, i do think that the line is oversized, as it rarley fills up.

3.) Th13teen - this is a well themed, yet natural queue. I adore the indoor section, so, so, much as the telsa coil, is just so scary when it goes, and the suspense that it brings is insane. Im not a fan of the switchbacky bit, as it goes on forever, especially ewith all the sections open when it has a 10 minute wait!

And The Worst Queues

1.) Rita - Cattle-pen, cattle-pen, cattle-pen and more cattle-pen. Just so boring to walk through... AVOID THIS, when it has a long queue, believe me, i'd rather wait 45 mins for Twirling Toadstool, than bee stuck in this for 3hrs!

2.) Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - so despite At trying to theme a queue, it just doesnt work, the same video on loop, cattle-pen and a hot dark room... And then the outdoor bit... Yawn. Zig, zag, zig, zag. Just no, its so painful to be in, especially with crying kids!

3.) The Smiler - although it is themed in a way, its really boring, as all it is, is cattle-pen and loud music. You do get some nice elements of seing the ride, but its just not enough to entertain you (especially when waiting 3-4 hrs at scarefest). The indoor queue is cool, but still, nothing special!
xylyx

Rita, spinball and the log flume are my least favourites, they feel interminable and dull. Love 13, the whole outdoor section is creepy and the indoor bit waiting for her to hit thirteen so the coil goes...It's almost worse when they don't have it turned on as the tension ratchets up unbearably.

Hex is awesome too, every inch of that ride from walking in to leaving is all about atmosphere, it's great. And I do love Duel that wonky room is wonderful.
sianmann88

I like the queues that Go under the rides..nothing beats hearing that roar of the coaster ...nemesis /air/smiler! Saying that I like the Rapids one. No idea why it just makes me feel like I'm in a theme park!! And obviously hex. Rita is at the bottom of the list along with the flume !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sentri558

I personally love The Smiler queue. The outside section could be better, and I would have liked a few different levels, even if just a couple of steps somewhere, just to break the queue line down a little.

Nemesis has an incredible queue too. The feeling of the coaster moving the ground beneath you, being able to feel the air as the car flies past, and the blood (sometimes blood) river running throughout the ride.

When it's full, Oblivion has a very nice queueline, but you can't appreciate it truly when you just walk past everything.

In my opinion, the Air queue was relatively un-creative and takes you away from the ride for most of the queue, but being away from a lot of the coaster isn't necessarily a bad thing. I just don't like waiting for Air because when I was little my parents left me with our friend and went on Air without me as I was too scared. #LongestHour

Rita, Sonic and Ripsaw (Rest in pieces, Ripsaw) have boring queues in my opinion. They take SO LONG to clear.
MakoMania

I like Duel's queue because there's never anyone in it :lol

I love watching The Smiler from its queue and listening to that loud base music!

Charlie's queue is almost suicidal though!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Max

There's a fair few options for best. Hex, Nemesis and Thirteen all place very highly for me. However in my honest opinion Rita has one of the worst queue lines I've ever experienced, cattlepen after cattlepen after cattlepen.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Morgan

Normally, I use a disabled pass, so I don't often use the main queues, but I do use them on occasion (mainly at TTSP events).

Duel is probably my favourite queue. It's very well themed and immersive.
Nemesis is a close second, the views of the coaster is incredible.
Then I'd have to say Hex. It's a perfect way to introduce the experience.
It's not the best, but Air had a nice queue. It's quite tranquil and different.
The worst for me is probably Oblivion, it takes forever to get up (especially as I was feeling a bit ill last time I used that queue)
nemefan08

I personally love the queue for the smiler and nemesis as having rides go past you is really cool and fun to watch. On the flip side their is air (or galactica as it is now) which makes you stare at the breakrun or the last turn, neither are fun to look at.
Sawboss

I second The Smiler and Nemesis, 13 is good too due to the themeing around the station building and that you can watch Rita roaring around not too far away. Can we expand to Thorpe? I like Stealth cos you can watch the mechanisms and stuff working away on the under side of the ride, and the reactions of people on the front row when it launches :lol
Mermalizer

I enjoyed the Smiler queue because you can see a lot of the ride going around, and it made the queue interesting, so it didn't feel like an hour and 45 minutes long. Same with watching the Marmaliser screen, it takes your mind off the wait.
Prepare to be mermalized!
JonDoesTT

Nemesis definitely has one of the best queues, all the rocks and water add to the theme very well, in some places it doesn't feel like a queue because (aside from litter), it is very pleasant. The first part of Air/Galactica's queue is nice too, as it's very relaxed. The part of the queue after the gate section (no idea what to call it) wasn't as nice, hopefully they'll improve it. Spinball's queue used to be good when the all the effects actually worked, and Th13teen, Hex, Oblivion, Duel and The Smiler's queue lines are all very good also.

As for the worst, probably Rita. It's just lots of wooden fencing, nothing really special.

Credit to NemesisRider
stealthsmiler

Hex is probably my favourite. Followed by Duel then probably Nemesis. I love the indoor bit of 13 but that doesn't out way the hatred I have towards the outdoor bit. I don't like the indoor queue for The Smiler and although I enjoy standing under the smiler for about 10 minutes. The rest is plain boring. As for Blivvy I've never had the chance to fully appreciate the queue line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Burniel

Sorry to revive this old topic, but I really do like the idea of it.

Best queues:

Nemesis - fantastic views of the coaster, the roar really excites me for what's to come. The cherry on the top is that you usually never have to wait in it for long!

Duel - immersive and really sets you up for the experience. Went in the extension queue for the first time in my life last weekend (not that the extension was really needed :P) and even that was quite nice. Sometimes I regret this ride's throughput because I feel like I miss some of the experience when it's a walk-on!

Th13teen - creepy music really sets the mood and indoor section is fantastic. It has an unmistakable smell, which is something that most queues would never dream of. With three train service, the queue is more of a slow walk at times and the fact that the front row queue is never used means that a polite word with the batcher enables one to get a front row ride with a wait of only one extra train.

The Smiler - it's not hard to see why I like this queue. Standing right underneath the track, hugging supports, maybe even getting a fantastic view of the trains duelling, all before entering a disorientating building which reflects the ride's theme perfectly. Bit of a shame that the queue itself is cattlepen after cattlepen and moves very slow, but at least it's not too bad.

Worst queues:

Rita - it had to be here. Queuing in that bland, colourless, unexciting, long, slow, painful, dirty series of cattlepens and long straights for up to an hour for a 30-second ride really puts me off Rita. If I wish to go on Rita, I make sure I'm at the entrance to the ride by 9:50 to avoid this horrific queue. New tunnel is a small improvement, but doesn't really help.

Spinball Whizzer - your avergae 8-year-old loves this coaster. They unfortunately do not love standing in a long, winding queue for ages witnessing breakdowns and getting their hopes crushed when they realise all the in-queue games don't work. By the time they're on the ride, they have a headache from the obnoxious audio and noise of the chain lift. And it doesn't help that the frequent lack of queue board or staff member at the ride's entrance means that the inexperienced visitor doesn't know what they're in for.

Oblivion - how to ruin a fantastic ride. This queueline is so incredibly long for queues that average 5 minutes. Getting on the ride, I feel more grateful for being able to sit down than excited for the ride to come.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I'm not even going to justify this one.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Liam.W

Dan.B wrote:Oblivion - how to ruin a fantastic ride. This queueline is so incredibly long for queues that average 5 minutes. Getting on the ride, I feel more grateful for being able to sit down than excited for the ride to come.
Quick tip- enter the single rider and fast track queue and once you have passed the building with the telescope thingy go under the railings and into the main queue. This misses out half the queue line! Obviously don't do this when there is a queue that passes that building as it would be queue jumping.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Tom170499

Liam.W wrote:
Dan.B wrote:Oblivion - how to ruin a fantastic ride. This queueline is so incredibly long for queues that average 5 minutes. Getting on the ride, I feel more grateful for being able to sit down than excited for the ride to come.
Quick tip- enter the single rider and fast track queue and once you have passed the building with the telescope thingy go under the railings and into the main queue. This misses out half the queue line! Obviously don't do this when there is a queue that passes that building as it would be queue jumping.
I do this all the time! Glad I've found someone else who does :lol
owenrita121

Yep I do that all the time too! It just saves so much time! Haha.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Burniel

Something I had never considered! Thanks for the tip guys, will have to use it next time :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
zakwoolley1

Oblivion has a good queue. It's builds up the anticipation when you walk up the hill to the point of no return with the drop creeping every closer into view. Although, I do think it needs some TLC soon as it's one of the best bits about oblivon. With out it I would probably rate Rita over Oblivon.

But the best queue line has to be duel. It's not even a queue line it's just a walk to the station that builds up atmosphere. For a UK dark ride to have a queue like that it's pretty impressive. Although, now the they've opened up the extensions, I do wish they would move the TVs to the outside bit to restore the atmosphere in the drawing room.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk