What is so good about Nemesis???

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rollermad

I really don't understand why nemesis is that good! It's not really insanely thrilling and in my top 20 it ranks at only about 10. I prefer Saw, Nemesis Inferno, Air etc.
owenrita121

Im the same, I don't really understand why it's so highly rated.
I wouldn't be that bothered if I don't go on it this year at all, the theming is over rated ad the ride is o.k, but nothing amazing.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
ImURNemesis

It is down to personal preferance but Nemesis was built at a time when AT was at its best. It created a ride exeriance that very rides have today. Bit of a shame that the queue line voice over was removed and dosen't get as much attention by the park management as it should.

You've got to love the old slogon "Sit back, it's FIGHT TIME!"
owenrita121

It still is it's slogon.
;)
RITA
MattsDesigns

The scenery I think. When everyone first see's that they tend to be a bit speechless.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
bensaund

Nemesis has it all, the B&M roar, it is built into the ground, great Theme and very good ride, Nemesis inferno isn't as good and even bigger ones like Montu don't really do it for me.

But it is all down to personal preference of course
If you go down to the woods today
owenrita121

The ride has a great story, but poor theming in my eyes.
I mean it's only the outside of the station and a few little ramdom bits here and there whats themed, I would not class it being built into the ground as theming.
RITA
ImURNemesis

owenrita121 wrote: It still is it's slogon.
;)
They don't use it anymore!  :(
The Moon

I have been on Montu 10 times in the past 4 days, and while it is much taller, faster, longer and more intense... it cannot match Nemesis for location, pacing, theming or rider interaction. It is nearly the perfect ride.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
owenrita121

ImURNemesis wrote:
;)
It has it on the on ride photo holeder thing and It say's it in the station sometimes.
RITA
ImURNemesis

owenrita121 wrote:
ImURNemesis wrote:
;)
It has it on the on ride photo holeder thing and It say's it in the station sometimes.
Really?  :shock: Never sean it.

I have a good look when I next vist.
owenrita121

Yer, the man sometimes says it when a train dispatchs, I always laught at it, because of the way the noice sounds, it's rather funny.  :lol:
RITA
Chaz

To those saying its not well themed: are you mad? The whole ride is submerged in its theme (from the music to the blood river). How much theming do you want?

I believe the voice in the station ("sit back it's fright time") is no longer the original one played many a year back ('newer' one sounds a lot like Matt Berry but I cannot confirm that). Sounds out of place if you ask me, but it's been playing for a few years now.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
scw55

It captures my imagination.

Some people prefer the actual layout of a coaster ignoring the landscape and scenery. Fair enough. They don't have the patience for artistry.

I do, and I would take Nemesis over any American Goliaths any day. In my opinion a Theme Park is about escapism and 'play'. Hence why I adore Nemesis.
Never ridden it and I don't think I would, but I adore it from an Artistic point of view.
Ripsaw Raver

the fact that most of the layout is below ground level, its near misses eg the roll over the station. The fact that it constantly picks up speed unlike say NI-Montu-Alpengeist ect which are at top speed from the first drop.

The scenery interaction and theme, the booming music and the fact that it still has the visual power to make people think twice wether to ride. I has a level of fear and unpredictablitly that many coasters dont have. I mean you watch Nemmie exit the trees into that roll and it can be miscontrude as slow but when your on it blows you away. Every inversion-element-turn-dive-twist is all in the right places, and when the whole queue was utilised it displayed many moments of drama. Like being up on the stall turn corner and seeing the entire train b-lining for YOU when seconds away it swings into the stall turn.

Nemesis will never been copied with the execption of the attempt with black mamba.

Many inverts now Go high-SweepDrop, some big even slightly forceless inversions.BreakRun-then the staple tight turns and tighter inversions.  However Nemesis lulls you into false security with the lift so close to the ground and then the seemingly mediocre turn and then Boom you dip as if the beast its self is pulling you down and that it the next 30 seconds are a blur.

Enough said

and then you Slam onto the breaks and everyone looks breathless, smiling, adrenaline pumped and begging for more.  "This is the legend, but dont try to understand, dont try to comprehend i,Dont even think about it! Nemesis at Alton Towers...Sit back its fright time"
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Boz

Well said, couldn't have put it better myself :clap:

i will follow it by saying that this topic is wholly unnecessary. if you guys really have a problem with nemesis, I'm afraid you're in the minority. Nemesis has been in the top 7 coasters in the world every year since the poll was established. B&M claim it "is their finest Inverting Coaster".

I could go on to explain why, but Ripsaw Raver has already covered it beautifully. None of Thorpe's coasters make it into the top 50 coasters in the world, Inferior isn't even in the top 150. The facts speak for themselves.

At first I wasn't even going to dignify this topic with an answer, and I'm normally the last person to harshly criticise. But I honestly don't see the point as to why you would come on a Towers fansite, and openly state that Nemesis is inferior to the likes of Inferno and Saw. There are much better ways of gauging peoples opinions of an extremely popular ride, without badmouthing it.

p.s. sorry if that crosses the line team, but it's the only time i've ever been genuinely annoyed about a topic on this forum.
Last edited by Boz on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteB

I think the nail has been hit firmly on the head by a few people here, and Boz makes some excellent points there.

Anyone in doubt of Nemesis should try riding it a few times, especially getting familiar with the front row which is one of the most amazing coaster experiences ever.

Despite other fast coasters coming along, it is still one of the most intense in the world.
Hibscasual

It's a 8/10 that thinks its a 10/10
Let vintage cars rust in peace
Kenzie2012

Too many things... I couldn't go to the resort and not ride it, and it's not even my favourite ride!!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
owenrita121

PeteB wrote: I think the nail has been hit firmly on the head by a few people here, and Boz makes some excellent points there.

Anyone in doubt of Nemesis should try riding it a few times, especially getting familiar with the front row which is one of the most amazing coaster experiences ever.

Despite other fast coasters coming along, it is still one of the most intense in the world.
I have been on the ride over 50 times, and I don't think it even comes close to the most amazing coaster experience ever.
RITA