Rides around Gloomy Wood area closed!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I've heard there is a gas leak in the gloomy wood area of the park and Dual and Sub-terra are closed, can somebody confirm this?
Last edited by Alex Tyler on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott.smith

Just wondering but why would Sub Terra and Gloomy Woods be the only rides closed?
PeteB

There is NO confirmation of a Gas leak. That is merely a rumor floating around at the moment.

We know there is a situation on the park today, around the Gloomy Wood area which has mean't some rides closed and pathways have been sealed off.

When we get something official as to what is going on we will let you know. I would just like us to be careful about spreading any rumors,  but feel free to keep discussion going and if you are on park today then let us know what you can see.  :)
Last edited by PeteB on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillB

scott.smith wrote: Just wondering but why would Sub Terra and Gloomy Woods be the only rides closed?
Yes, Sub Terra is closed however Gloom Woods is an area of the park and not a ride. The whole Gloomy Woods area and contained rides are currently closed.

On another note I must say the situation appears serious. It's not like they've just shut a ride, but a whole entire area of the park and a popular one at that. The monorail is also closed indicating they don't want you to see what's happened. It could be a bad accident with one of the guests (a ride safety failure or something).

I'm interested to know what's going on.
MattsDesigns

This may be to do with the fact Duel is built on a swamp and the ground has to be vented a certain way to let this swamp gas out. Incidentaly this happens near the toilet.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Deleted

Someone mentioned on the Facebook page a tree has fallen down either on or near the monorail.
scott.smith

WillB wrote:
scott.smith wrote: Just wondering but why would Sub Terra and Gloomy Woods be the only rides closed?
Yes, Sub Terra is closed however Gloom Woods is an area of the park and not a ride. The whole Gloomy Woods area and contained rides are
I meant Duel, I know that :-P

A small gas leak was suspected and an area of the park closed off accordingly.  I'm not sure if the leak was ever confirmed or not but the area was reopened by mid afternoon and guests allowed to return as normal.  It created a bit of a bottleneck in cloud cuckoo land and dark forest for a few hours around lunchtime but other than that doesn't seem to have had too much of a negative effect.
The flume and Katanga canyon were also briefly closed.
JMR

I think should put more entertainers in the park when popular rides are closed. <- This would make guests happier instead of them just moaning about the ride closure.