New Online Photos - powered by picsolve

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
roary01

Today Picsolve launched the NEW online photography system,
If you purchase ANY product at the resort from ride photo booths, your receipt will include a 12 digit code with when typed into the online site you can download your photo from that ride.

Heres the best part....

IT'S FREE!! once purchased your picture your photo will be put online where you can download and use on facebook,share with friends...

The New advert on the ATR website:

http://www.altontowers.com/photos

New Picsolve webpage for ATR:
http://www.picsolve.com/welcome
HFantasma

Before its mentioned if you lose your receipt or not given it then the code is also located on either the bottom or side of your photo.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!
Jammydodger

Was gutted when I found out they didn't actually offer this service last year, seeing as Thorpe have had it a while now. Glad to hear they've finally caught up.

Now they just need to add walkabout photos in the multi-photo deal and I'll be happy.
I don't get why you can do this at Thorpe but not Alton...
Vladimir Bobinski

I've been saying to myself for a long time they should offer a digital download alternative, I've never been interested in physical media and lack of resolution in anything I purchase for the cost that it is.  I would quite happily paid a pound  a voucher code rather than a physical product but I guess this is a good start.
JaykeAT

Please tell me im not the only one thats been trying to guess photo numbers all day.
bensaund

About time, I was wondering when Alton Towers would join the rest of the Merlin parks and offer digital downloads, but on the bright side, Alton have site wide WiFi and the others done.... yet
If you go down to the woods today
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Can we only have the download option?
Adam

To be honest, I can't see them offering a Download only option. They know most people would use that, therefore would loose them a fair bit of money, as the Download versions wouldn't and couldn't be the same price as the physical photos.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't picsolve offer a download only version a while back? Assuming it was stopped for a reason. I remember ridephoto.com being their official site...?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
bensaund

you never know what PicSolve have planned, there are two types of customer:

1) Want a digital only copy and don't want to pay £8 for a photo but will happily pay £2 for digital
2) Want a photo, keyring, magnet, mug, mousemat etc and will pay the extra

They need to look at the best way to get maximum profit and give the customers what they want too.

I  was also impressed that I was able to download all the ride pictures from two weeks ago when I went and the digital downloads were not offered at that time.
Johno

Which code is it along the bottom that you can use?
bensaund

For conga Rapids

ATCR711W0001  for example

Oblivion

ATOB711X0001 for example
HFantasma

Johno wrote: Which code is it along the bottom that you can use?
It's the 12 digit one. It probably starts with letters, eg. Tussauds code starts with MT.
So I assume Alton's would probably start with AT.
HFantasma

alex tyler wrote: Can we only have the download option?
They wont do that, hard copy sales will plummet as everyone will download, the amount of people Ive stopped taking photos of the screens tells me a lot of people don't care what quality their photos are as long as they don't have to pay much if anything for it.
Plus you can print downloads just as good now so no one would pay the photo price when they can get it as a download.
bensaund

I would disagree, if you could pay £2 per picture and you went on 8 rides in the day, that is £16 they would make. With no printing or paper costs, the overheads would be minimal. Then add some electronic self service kiosk where somebody can simply swipe a wrist band or mobile phone with NFC chip, you could have people buying lots of photos digitally and video too with very little overheads.

There is so much technology out there which can do it, Port Aventure had it a good 10 years ago when you could get a picture emailed to yourself.

The test would be to see how many people want digital only and who wants real photos......

Plus will there be more profit in digital, I believe it is the way forward, plus most people will instantly upload to Facebook which is free advertising to millions of people.
HFantasma

I don't deny they would still make money off it, I know exactly what they make on photos anyway and I know it'd be a convenient way of doing things but I don't see it happening. Picsolve supply their printers, paper, keys rings etc. Merlin buy that off them. Picsolve lose that money if they go digital. And my head hurts just thinking about the technical malfunctions of it.
bensaund

Can they afford not to move with the times?

When the contract is up for renewal, is another company offers a better technology, Picsolve possibly could loose out, in business you snooze you loose.
HFantasma

Who knows what will happen. But I will bet you now if it was to happen you'll be dreaming at £2 a photo when you've got 2 companies wanting to make money off of it.
The traditionalists won't like it either, I personally would prefer to buy a key ring then get the download, I quite enjoy buying hard copies especially key rings. That's not to say I don't understand what you're on about.
bensaund

That is where you give people the old fashioned option and the new option.

Have a deal where its £4 for digital, but if you buy X number of photos it gets cheaper.

another thing they are missing out on is the current photo passes only work in one park, if you can buy a cross park pass they would be better for the customer too.

Just ask yourself how many people don't buy because the 1 photo is £8?
garyh

Lol showing my age but I still remember the days when a chap at the top of the Log Flume just before the drop would give you a number, then you would go to the photo desk after the ride, fill in a form and wait two weeks for the photo to be mailed to you!!!!