Times are tough... How to make Alton Towers as affordable as possible?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris-TT

Right guys we would love to hear some suggestions on how you can make the most of a day at Alton Towers on a budget.

We are going to run a featured article on this to help people on a real budget have an affordable enjoyable
visit, so would love to hear your thoughts...

A couple to get started with:

Search for 50% off vouchers, free Sun newspaper tickets
Bring your own snacks, & a pack lunch
Jon

*Arrive as early as you can and leave as late as you can. If you've invested in a visit to the park, you want to spend as much time there as possible, but more importantly queues are much lower in the first and last hours.

*Depending on where you have parked, getting out of the car park at the end of the day can take nightmarishly long. When you're snail-pacing forward and stopping frequently, your car is munching away at petrol. It may be more economic and more comfortable to go and sit in the hotel bar and wait for it to subside.

*Don't get suckered in by Fasttrack tickets - they are extortionate.

*Before booking a night at either Alton Towers hotel or Splash Landings, take a look at some of the lovely b&bs which are only 5 or 10 minute walks away from the park. The theme park hotels have their novelty, but the rooms themselves are not particularly special, indeed many of the b&bs can offer nicer rooms for less.

*If you know you will be returning at another point in the year, buy bounceback tickets while you are at the park as these are even cheaper than what vouchers can offer you.
Formerly "Dagoo"
Deleted

I think the hugest expense is quite obviously the hotels.

There are plenty of amazing B&B establishments around Alton - I have stayed at one before and come complete with huge television, Jacuzzi bath and four poster bed and was only £60 for the 2 of us per night including breakfast!

There is nothing stopping you using the hotels facilities on park, and when its bed time head on back to Alton village to get some kip!
b2311e

They seriously need a foot entrance. When they've mastered this, so many more people will be able to stay in nearby hotels.

If anybody in this day and age goes to the park buying tickets full price on the door, they must be rich. Aside from the huge costs of tickets anyway, 2 for 1s are almost ALWAYS available, you've just got to know where. You look on your average visit to the park; how many coupons are sitting at the ticket desks. No need to Fastracks.

Second, if you can, take your own food. Especially if you plan to have both lunch and dinner there, take at least one of them in yourself.

Third, don't look at the shops when you leave rides. I'm no major fan of Th13teen, but we have an alarm clock, snow globe, keyring, bear and more.

Last, don't buy ORP unless you actually plan to look at them in the future. It's all well and good buying them, but unless you get them as a keyring or something, you probably won't look at them.

I don't usually buy tickets for my next visit, because I don't usually know if I'm going to come back, or if I'm going to be going by coach. Despite being more expensive though, I thought it was easier and better value to get the train last time, despite the much longer journey and 3 trains & a bus. Still got longer at the park than with the coach!
Last edited by b2311e on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattsDesigns

Vouchers and prayer. Honestly, pray you'll avoid the ques and have a fulfilling day but remember it wasn't coincidence  ;)
We have the offers thread here http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-to ... deals-etc/ this is an all important step but try another big Alton board like towers street (since thats were half the people went anyway).
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Themeparksandy1981

If you can try to go on day kids are at school. I always find Sept the quietest day. If you got kids try to go on the Sunday on the last day of school holidays as most parents like to get there kids to bed early ready for school the next day.

If u got a slow cooker or your parents have. Put your meat with veg on just before you leave so when you get home it's ready to eat.

If it's just the 2 of you and you willing to be split up then use all the parks single rider queues.

Have breakfast before you leave or pop into Mcdonalds.

If it's a very warm day maybe invest in a unlimited drinks flask but share it.