Increase in pricing for ATH

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
aircanman

Does anyone else think they have really ramped up the pricing for the ATH and SL hotels?

We usually go a few times a year, but the costs for 2 nights (one night is a waste of time I think) are mental, £370 for the kids stay play eat free etc, for 2 nights!  Compared to under £200 for the more off peak times. 
Rob
Admin
Admin

Try using the voucher code: SUN
I think that was the code.
sebshep18

i stopped for one night on the fireworks last year booked around this time it was 168 plus tickets its now 220 which is ridiculous
garyh

Prices in July and August and on Saturday nights in particular are stupid.  Absolute rip off.
aircanman

Rob-TT wrote: Try using the voucher code: SUN
I think that was the code.
That code has expired sadly.

I am against codes like this because some people have to pay the full price, where savvy shoppers get a large discount.  If the hotel would be better priced in the first place there would be no need for these codes, same as the half price ticket entries for the park itself, a pain!

We always go this time of year for a couple of nights, but as a family of four (two very young kids) - £370 plus £70 per night in Flambos and all the other bits and bobs makes for a very expensive monday and tuesday!
Shutterbug

Me and my other half used the JULY50 code to get 4 nights in Splashlandings for £500 for the both of us, so while could have gone Spain all inclusive for not far off that...still did have an amazing time and popped my Alton Towers hotel & Waterpark cherry  :P
Chris-TT

I personally think the discount codes are a great idea. Alton could charge a set amount and give no discount, however a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford it.

By offering discount codes it allows guests who can't afford the rack rate price to look for a discount. It allows discount hunting/savvy guests to feel satisfied they have recieved a significant discount. And guests who can afford the full rack rate, and don't like/can't be bothered to search for a discount subsidise the costs to allow these discount codes to exist.
I have friends who are often aware of discount codes/coupons but prefer not to use them as they prefer to be perceived in a certain way, which I personally think is a bit silly, but each to there own.

Everyone wins.
aircanman

Chris-TT wrote: I personally think the discount codes are a great idea. Alton could charge a set amount and give no discount, however a lot of people wouldn't be able to afford it.

By offering discount codes it allows guests who can't afford the rack rate price to look for a discount. It allows discount hunting/savvy guests to feel satisfied they have recieved a significant discount. And guests who can afford the full rack rate, and don't like/can't be bothered to search for a discount subsidise the costs to allow these discount codes to exist.
I have friends who are often aware of discount codes/coupons but prefer not to use them as they prefer to be perceived in a certain way, which I personally think is a bit silly, but each to there own.

Everyone wins.
Unfortunately this discount culture we in the UK employ is going to do more harm than good in my opinion, I see it all throughout the retail sector.  I know what you are saying, but it can be hard to find these codes, and I bet 99% of the people who walk through the door would have preferred to save than pay the full price.

For example lets say the rooms are £100 each, 5 people buy them with a 20% discount at £80, 5 pay full price of £100, I would rather the rooms be £90 for all, rather than £80 for some, and £100 for others, it all equals out in the end and I think the mentality of Alton Towers is that if they offer these discounts it entices people to come along, but on the flip side the higher prices scare people into waiting, and maybe not even going at all. 

If Alton want to discount, it should be an advertised percentage discount, similar to Disneyland Paris, in which way everyone will be happy with the saving, and the fact they have had a 'deal'
HFantasma

Just saw a tweet from AT with a promo code for 30% off using SUMMER30.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!