News: Resort Wide WiFi Coming Soon

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

From the TowersTimes Homepage:
Alton Towers is currently installing many devices across the park with the aim to establish resort wide Wifi coverage.

Following a smaller scale installation in the hotels which offers guests free access it is expected that any extensions to this network will be free of charge as well.

The most likely explanation for this installation is the recent interest in offers through social networking websites. Companies are very keen to 'push' offers through to customers mobile devices to entice further spending. Due to the resorts location this is not currently possible with the unreliable mobile network coverage so a WiFi network would provide a solid backbone through which to provide such a service.

Whilst a launch date is currently unknown the devices have been testing periodically so it's worth checking for WiFi connections when you next visit the park.
lioncount

Is the WiFi free in the hotel now, it was still £ 5 at Easter when we stayed last
Adam

Yeah. As fas as I'm aware the Hotel wifi is now free. Has been for a few months now! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
lioncount

Brilliant  :D no more chewing up my data allowance using hotspots, ill certainly be using that when I'm staying in July ..I was always suprised they charged anyway, most other hotels offer it free
PeteB

Most other hotels did used to charge for it but slowly over time more and more have been offering it for free. Alton Towers have been a bit late to catch on with free WiFi to be honest.
Chaz

Adam wrote: Yeah. As fas as I'm aware the Hotel wifi is now free. Has been for a few months now! :)
Stayed at Splash Landings last week- wifi is free for 1 hour. It's 1 hour per email address (not device), nor does it check email verification so... As long as your imagination is well equipped you can have free wifi for all your stay.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hu5iwx
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
garyh

ATH is free for 24 hours
Adam

Assuming once the Resort-wise WiFi is in full effect, those restrictions will be removed.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
AirFAN

The park has clearly cottoned on to the benefit of social media - think of the amount of people that will post pictures/statuses to Facebook/Twitter/Instagram etc.

It may be an idea to place humorous 'photo hotspots' around the park that promote the aforementioned activity.
jamesc

And I wonder what they do with all these email addresses entered into the free WiFi system.

Use or sell on for marketing to pay for the free WiFi.

lol, I could just see Merlin doing this can you?

Also use emails to tell people about SW7 for 2013.

We all know Merlin like a bit of free marketing.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
AirFAN

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. E-mails could be timed around closing to wish guests a safe journey home and to ask for any feedback about their day whilst promoting new products/services. As marketing has very much evolved, for a brand to become successful they have to engage in constant dialogue with the consumer.

The park could take it a step further and create a smartphone app that includes location based services - e.g. 'where am I?', 'How do I get to X', it could even incorporate functionality for guests to plan and track their progress throughout the day.

The app could also include a photo section which allows guests to take pictures, add frames, captions etc. for easy upload to social media sites. 

Edit: Ah I've just checked, it appears an app already exists.
Rob
Admin
Admin

I believe that some of the WIFI hot spots are now working and active.
Jack and daddy

Going in three days is wifi up and running if so what's the crack cheers .
capital city service #1 these colours don't run
TowserIV

I was WiFiless yesterday :(
owenjones92

I was on park today and can confirm wifi was working

We used it within the bbq courtyard and was a free service provided by 'The CLOUD'

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
DONT...LOOK..DOWN
bensaund

I was using it on Wednesday and I didn't even notice that O2 had gone down, so the coverage is very good
If you go down to the woods today
owenjones92

Where on park was you using it?

I wanna try and get a list of all places where accessible

DONT...LOOK..DOWN
bensaund

Air, RMT, Th13teen, most of the park
If you go down to the woods today
Trisnie

owenjones92 wrote: I was on park today and can confirm wifi was working

We used it within the bbq courtyard and was a free service provided by 'The CLOUD'

Great news
Also seen it here
http://www.t3.com/news/the-cloud-brings ... ton-towers
So people with sky broadband will get unlimited access but does anyone know if it's the cloud in the hotels?