Th13teen trimmed yet again?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ParkLogic_Chris

According to a post on Facebook by "CoasterLive"  Th13teen has received yet more trims after it's carousel style section.

I visited on Tuesday however hadn't noticed any form of trims meaning they must have been installed very very recently if true, the ride runs slow enough as it is and I can't imagine just how much poorer a ride it will be with any air time now gone from the outdoor section.

Source:

Can't see why they feel the need to add another trim after 2 years though, does anyone have any more information?

Disappointing if it is indeed true though  :(
roary01

Have to say i went on TH13TEEN yesterday and saw the new scaffolding but the ride actually felt faster to me...
definatley was more speed to the outdoor section..
AstroDan

I actually felt Thirteen was running slightly faster, too. It could have just been me, though. The new structure needs painting to match the track.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Longy

I've heard people commenting on how it feels faster too.
Have they added booster sections instead?

As for the new structure, what is it, what does it look like and where is it?
Is this a permanent feature now?
AstroDan

Definitely not booster sections! That's really not going to happen!

mrbrightside

Definitely agree with it feeling faster last week, like they had turned the trims down rather than added more! Still not exactly speedy though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
djtruefitt

The new platform thing is under the trims that have always been there, but it might mean they can chage the trims more easy, compared to before. It certainly felt faster when I did it the other week.
BowMan

It felt faster when I went on today. There was some scaffolding halfway down the bottom of the second drop that I hadn't noticed before...
Image Thanks to Lewis97
barmy_scotty

... This is gonna sound silly but what are these 'trims'?...... o_0  :?  :shock:
J01N U5.... Y0U W1LL 5M173.....

Y0U B370NG T0 TH3 5M1L3R

5M1L3!!!

ALWAY5
RyanY

Trims are small brakes through the course of the track that slow the train down, to reduce the forces on the rider. :D

In the case of Th13teen they are magnetic. :)
Last edited by RyanY on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sazzle

The trim brakes slow the train down enough to prevent it over speeding onto the second lift (into the Crypt building). Over speeding causes the ride to shut itself down as a safety precaution.

*tongue-in-cheek* A genius move during the design phase, I think you'll agree ;)

Edit >> RyanYoxall - I had to laugh! You're right, trims are used to reduce the forces on riders, but on Th13teen? Any less force and I think we'd all go backwards ;)
AstroDan

I hope Alton bleed Intamin for their shoddiness. Thirteen is ridiculously over trimmed.

James6

I would have thought Intamin could have done a re-profiling to lead to the removal of the trims, similar to what happened at I305 to sort out the mess they made.

As much as I love Th13teen, it'd be a lot better with fewer trims.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P
Delta79

Sazzle wrote: Edit >> RyanYoxall - I had to laugh! You're right, trims are used to reduce the forces on riders, but on Th13teen? Any less force and I think we'd all go backwards ;)
Too late, we all go backwards on that ride  :lol: :lol:
Longy

AstroDan wrote: I hope Alton bleed Intamin for their shoddiness. Thirteen is ridiculously over trimmed.

Like a radiator? :roll:

Well, if it is faster, then I can't wait to go on it again!
I already find the ride enjoyable now!
Tom G

I have to mention this again.

If they wanted to simply reduce the speed into the second hill, they could achieve that with a more potent brake immediately prior to the second hill.

I believe that they wanted to tone down the whole outside section so that it was not too runaway train like for families, either that or they did it for a reduction in train stresses (tight fistedness).
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I as well have noticed it's increased speed, but wouldn't removing more trims save money on electricity bills surely?

Was this added at the start of the season or just in the past week? (Which I assume is the latter).
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
taggy

Look forward to riding it again next weekend plus like the fact they keep going out to improve an already good ride
James

Wasn't it John Wardley that had said the trims are only there because without them the ride would pull negative g's - and that would then rule out Th13teen as being a family ride as it would be too forceful/stressful for the family market?
LordOfDarkness

I'm sure I read somewhere that the trims are added because the computers were getting their timing sequences wrong when the vehicles were arriving faster then expected?
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]