People smoking marijuana outside the park entrance...

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
BigAl

mikey_mcl wrote: personally i dont see the harm if it was outside the main entrance, it wasnt exactly in the park.
If people kept out of the 'busy' public areas, ie in the gardens, then i dont see an issue personally.
Eh? :-s

It was in the park. It was on Alton's property, so their rules still apply. As do the rules that the Government set which makes it illegal to smoke anywhere anyway. And you can't seriously be suggesting that Alton Towers should allow people to go into the gardens to do drugs?

:|
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

BigAl wrote:
mikey_mcl wrote: personally i dont see the harm if it was outside the main entrance, it wasnt exactly in the park.
If people kept out of the 'busy' public areas, ie in the gardens, then i dont see an issue personally.

It was in the park. It was on Alton's property, so their rules still apply. As do the rules that the Government set which makes it illegal to smoke anywhere anyway. And you can't seriously be suggesting that Alton Towers should allow people to go into the gardens to do drugs?

Are you for real? It's illegal, it would be bad PR and cause a major downfall of the park and Merlin's reputation as a whole. Even if it were to ever happen, not in The Gardens, in a designated area which wouldn't ruin other guests experiences. Like with alcohol, smoking was recently tackled this way efficiently and doesn't cause any fuss whilst abiding to the law. So it would be a issue even if your scenario did happen. The harm was that it affected other guests by the way.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
SpinballEdders

No one at Alton is allowed to get high, not even the rides ;)
mikey_mcl

BigAl wrote:

Just to clear up, I'm not condoning the use of cannabis in the resort, but at the end of the day people are just going to do regardless, I would rather they did it in the gardens rather than queue lines and busy park areas where they are lots of people and kids about.
dmmosh1

yeah it does do my nut when you get these smeg heads smoking it in the park and not giving a dam, even bacco smokers are more considderate

And it is mind altering and bad for, yes i know its not class A but neither are steroids (they are more natural then weed) but you wouldnt want some tit on full roid rage around you or injecting it
Last edited by dmmosh1 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigAl

mikey_mcl wrote:
BigAl wrote:

Just to clear up, I'm not condoning the use of cannabis in the resort, but at the end of the day people are just going to do regardless, I would rather they did it in the gardens rather than queue lines and busy park areas where they are lots of people and kids about.
But then they'd ruin the gardens; one of the most beautiful and most unique aspects of Alton Towers. I'd rather see security stepped-up to stop people from waltzing around smoking whatever they want and wherever they want. It's selfish and irresponsible.
FriarsWalk

hex4ever wrote: As a young person I find this ridiculous and pointless behavior, not only will they have a criminal record (if they don't had already) but they will have paid tickets for the park and will only get half of their day from them. Its just a waste of time, money and after being at a party where it was passed around, its not even fun, if you need drugs to have a good time when there's so much on offer then you will never be satisfied.
I saw this, and thought of you ;)
Not condoning what was going on with those guys, but Alton Towers is brilliant sober. But after a nice spliff in the Gardens, well out of the way of kids, families, security, people in general, then going on Nemesis, Alton Towers becomes freaking magical. Seeing as the place is slowly slipping, with pish rides and shipping container shops, anything that makes it seem better is welcome in my book. As long as it's done in a way which doesn't affect other people and isn't blatant, and you can make the choice to break the law, it's not such a bad thing. C'est la vie.

And no, drugs aren't cool, rebellious, edgy, etc, a lot of people I know and love have gotten really messed up because of them.
Alton Towers from another point of view compared to the standard different point of view.
ImURNemesis

May I ask, if they were smoking outside of the park entrance, where was security when this happened? Unless the smokers were well out of site and couldn't be seen, surly CCTV would have pitted it up it being the entrance. I'm not trying to criticize  AT, but it was a though that past my mind.
MattsDesigns

Does it really make it more magical? If I can just get in touch with my Synesthisia a second  :D ...
My experience of weed was first pretty underwhelming but it felt quite grungey and American,orangey... but the magic is a completely different sensation.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Kenzie2012

ImURNemesis wrote: May I ask, if they were smoking outside of the park entrance, where was security when this happened? Unless the smokers were well out of site and couldn't be seen, surly CCTV would have pitted it up it being the entrance. I'm not trying to criticize  AT, but it was a though that past my mind.
CCTV might have picked them up, but until a master breakthrough in smello-vision is developed, Mr Security sat behind his desk in a control room won't have known they were smoking anything other than a standard roll up.

FriarsWalk wrote:
hex4ever wrote: As a young person I find this ridiculous and pointless behavior, not only will they have a criminal record (if they don't had already) but they will have paid tickets for the park and will only get half of their day from them. Its just a waste of time, money and after being at a party where it was passed around, its not even fun, if you need drugs to have a good time when there's so much on offer then you will never be satisfied.
I saw this, and thought of you ;)
Not condoning what was going on with those guys, but Alton Towers is brilliant sober. But after a nice spliff in the Gardens, well out of the way of kids, families, security, people in general, then going on Nemesis, Alton Towers becomes freaking magical. Seeing as the place is slowly slipping, with pish rides and shipping container shops, anything that makes it seem better is welcome in my book. As long as it's done in a way which doesn't affect other people and isn't blatant, and you can make the choice to break the law, it's not such a bad thing. C'est la vie.

And no, drugs aren't cool, rebellious, edgy, etc, a lot of people I know and love have gotten really messed up because of them.
AGREED
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
PeteMadden

Seems ridiculous really. Surely there's no possible excuse for letting people smoke marijuana even close to a place that's full of young children. You can't let them come in contact with cannabis. I understand the feeling you may get smoking marijuana and going on rides, and I understand that its an addictive drug, but there's no way anybody should be allowed to smoke cannabis at a theme park, especially a theme park on such a large, international scale.
AJLlama

It always seems to be in the air...
i have smoked a bit of weed in the gardens, a few years ago when that was my thing, when no-one was about and had an awesome day, it helped out a tired brain on a busy day. But i'd never smoke around other people, especially kids, i always take my butts with me and usually i just use the smoking areas and have a cig. Pet hate has to be smoking in queue lines, it's completely unfair, and staff hardly ever do anything about it. when i leave the park i always wait till i get to the car to smoke too.
The Moon

Am I the only one who just enjoys a drink of an evening? You don't need anything to enjoy Towers except a nights sleep and several thousand pounds.

We never got this in the States. Everyone used the smoking areas and if you were intoxicated and disorderly to the point of public nuisance (which was rare) you would be tazered by a burly Sherrif. Ah America!
Last edited by The Moon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
blivygirl87

Ill admit I like a joint now and again, but I would NEVER take it to the towers with me, simply because it is not allowed (I enjoy my day out far to much to risk getting thrown out or denied entry for the sake of a smoke) and out of respect for the people who have paid their money for a fun day out and don't wish to spend it explaining to their children "what that funny smell is". When I went last year we were queing for oblivion and a group of lads just ahead of us were smoking it, the smell was so strong it was making my friend cough. There was no way of getting away from it without leaving our place in the que I shouted at them to get it put out but they just turned their backs and carried on!
Last edited by blivygirl87 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't look down............
Liam B

I also do like a joint every now and again but yeah you shouldn't do it in a family friendly place plus it would be so easy to get caught with it! I have heard the experience you get from it on rides is amazing but (this is just saying) if you are going to do it before you enter make sure you are away from everyone e.g if you are staying at the hotel go stand in the MASSIVE field beside it where there is noone and enjoy your day :P btw petemadden its not addictive at all compared to the likes of smoking but this is not the place to argue about that :P
Liam B

hex4ever wrote: On my last visit on hex there were idiots making noise and using their phones to light the place up

according to eyewitnesses they were doing weed and bottles of vodka

Right Im still for not having people smokin weed inside the park BUT Im afraid that sort of behaviour does not come from smokin weed. As you have mentioned they were drinkin vodka which would put them in a more aggresive mood where as weed chills you out and when I do it it have just makes me happier. Dosent make me feel the need to act stupidly it just helps make the day nicer. Its not about smokin it its about the persons original mood. There were a group of chavs that got kicked out of the park when I was there last year that didn't smell of weed and hadn't been drinking but they had just been breaking things and making a lot of noise. So you cant really blame the weed for making people act stupidly :)
Jack and daddy

Look the bottom line is that the bother comes from Chavs who are both on drink and weed .the fact is weed is a banned drug and Alton is a family park and I c a pot head smoking near my son I will remove it from there person .the only way they'll get it back is prising it from my cold dead body
capital city service #1 these colours don't run
Adam James

Once, a wise philosopher once said... "To see the future, you must look into the past"

Going off some distinct smells often found in the area, Dark Forest these days is more like

Last edited by Adam James on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.