2012 operational cuts

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Lady Sol

The park was nearly empty today. Didn't wait more than 10 mins for anything.

I'm finding people just don't think it's worth the money at the moment. I took three friends with me today for £15 each (MAP friends offer). We'd tried to invite lots of others, but most people decided it wasn't worth it for £15 entry (+petrol, +parking, +food). People are cutting back on spending. Without the offer I think I would have had even less people interested in a day out at the park. Most of my friends with kids can't afford to take them. The entrandce price isn't all that bad if booked in advance or BOGOF, it's the extras that get to people (parking etc).

Closing the Skyride hardly makes people want to buy tickets for an extra day at the park.
NastyPasty

I've been talking to a friend high up at another UK Theme Park (not naming any names but they've taken advantage of the whole Skyride-closure, as they did with the whole car parking scandal) and apparently the big float is coming for Merlin. He seems to think that his park and other more reasonable, independent parks are thriving whereas Merlin is struggling to maintain and have basically bitten off more than they can chew. Whereas his park can expand at a steady rate, Merlin have drained themselves and have not prepared well enough. He seems to think that Flamingo Land, Lightwater, Pleasure Beach and even smaller parks could blossom now, with Merlin suspended.
He also reckons that Chessington are on their last legs and that they'll be first of the Merlin armada to sink.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

Chaz

It's all good saying what people reckon but it's simply not going to happen. Merlin Entertainments is still huge, they are simply doing what the parks have done, effectively, in the past. With lands opening later and off-peak closures it saves costs but also staff standing around; being paid when they could e doing something else.

If these tactics worked in the past then why wouldn't they do it now? It's a profit making business and it needs to stay that way. Going to CWoA the other week (on a Friday), we walked into Wild Asia at about 10.20- we were the only people there. First thing, as we all know, the public head to major/new rides so the smaller ones don't need to open then.

Same with the Skyride, on emptier days only a small percentage of the gondolas will be filled but they have to run the whole system to operate it- that's the nature of it. It's a cost that can be cut out as the public can walk.

It's a shame, yes, but if you want your business to make money costs have to be cut. Maybe they're spending this saved revenue on improving Sub Terra this week.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qjvfia
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
TB2

Well, in case of Chessington, it didn't work in the past, hence why we haven't seen these types of closures since 2007. The thing is, it's not so much that the rides are closed now, it's how much further is this going to go.

Chessington could in theory go down the Legoland route and close more of the park. Mexicana and Forbidden Kingdom could also close until 12 and it wouldn't make a difference.. well not until either Vampire and Fury break spectactularly. What about dual operators, that's been done before. We all know it's about being more cost effective but who knows how much more cash the parks want to save.

Alton Towers fans, in a way, are lucky that it has a very vocal facebook page and the managers of that park do listen to the criticism. But when they announced Submission and Enterprise would be closed all year, it was obvious when that was over-turned, that something else would be effected..
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

DiogoJ42

Chaz wrote: Same with the Skyride ... It's a cost that can be cut out as the public can walk.
By that logic, Sub Terra can be cut out as the public can jump of a chair in the dark, round rides can be cut as the public can run round in circles, and water rides can be cut as the public can just go jump in the lake.
garyh

Trouble is, what can Merlin do.  They are a business, and there is not one business in the UK which isnt struggling at the moment.  If I were Merlin I would suspend the installation of SW7 and focus on what they have, maintaining it and improving it where necessary.  AT hotel rooms could do with a refurb, the waterpark is boring and needs something new added, the park needs some attention in areas etc etc.

I dont see SW7 as the key priority right now, ensuring people keep coming back is.  No matter what the new ride is, if people are put off by poor value for money, shabby hotels and rip off prices then they wont ever go back. 

At least if they kept this money aside, they wouldnt need to close the skyride, or limit opening hours etc. 

The economic climate just isnt one, and wont be for a while, where people are prepared to spend a fortune on petrol, fortune to stay over, fortune on food and drink, and a fortune on entry tickets, waterpark tickets etc etc etc.  I recon over a 2 day weekend, taking in everything alton has to offer, a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) could easily spend close to a £1000. 

(Hotel : £500, Park tickets £84 (BOGOF), fasttrack tickets one day (£40), Food in the hotel both nights (£160), drinks in the hotel both nights (£60), Waterpark entry (£60), Waterpark food (£20), Petrol costs to get there (£80), food and drinks in the park over both days (£100), ride photos (£22) - thats already over a grand and I wouldnt say that is excessive of what a family would spend.

Thats based on a peak weekend in the summer at ATH hotel B&B, 4x adult tickets BOGOF, 4x £10 fasttrack scream tickets for one day, £20 flambos x4 per night, bottle of wine each night for adults, soft drinks etc, 4x waterpark entry one day, food and drinks in the waterpark from quenchers, full tank of petrol in family car, roughly £50 a day in the park on food and drink and of course, ride photos to take home some memories.  Thats £1126 for 2 nights and 3 days in the resort (waterpark arrival day, 2x days in theme park). 

Add on the locker charge, towel charge (in case they forgot) for the waterpark, and if they wanted to try out the mini golf and your looking even more.

£1126!!!!!!  Im sure a family of four could go on a pretty decent holiday abroad for that amount of money for a week!  Its no wonder families cant afford to stay at the resort. 
BigAl

In my opinion, the value for money point is definitely a valid one. I used to go with my friends to Alton Towers a couple of times a year. But I haven't gone with them since last Easter now. They just aren't prepared to pay any more. If it weren't for my MAP, I probably wouldn't be able to go either. The new rides haven't tempted them, so I don't go with them any more. :/

But that's just one small group of people. I don't know how many others that counts for as well.
Bote

It is surprising how quickly money mounts up at parks, but I have always felt Alton has been pushing it a bit. Like May others here MAP and ATAP are a godsend. I save so much money thanks to it.

However, for most other people that is a considerable amount for just 1 weekend in the UK.

To put it into perspective, I'm going to Europe in a few weeks, traveling all by train and bus, stopping in Hotel Matamba for a night, two days at Phantasialand, two days at DLP 2 parks (Granted, they are free tickets, but there are other associated costs), and a day at Parc Asterix, with spending money for little over half that figure of the family weekend to Alton. It really makes you realise how expensive the UK attractions are for what some of them offer.
Last edited by Bote on Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackgcse

You say that the parks are simply too expensive for people to afford? I beg to differ, to a degree! I feel the economic problems mean people cannot afford to take the family on holiday, however many families will promise to have a 'day-out' which usually means a theme park or to similar proximities, which means 'yes' theme parks are very expensive, however they are damn cheaper than going away to spain for a week, (currently anyway)...I am not saying its a better deal at a theme park, quite opposite infact, but a £100-300 day out is cheaper and more affordable than a holiday costing near enough £2000!
This therefore means people will not avoid going to the theme parks, they will just go when it best suits them!
I would say the cuts are not that bad, however I do feel the sky ride closure, is a bit steep by anyones standards, because its like closing the monorail, and getting everyone to walk the distance to the entrance!
For all I care, add fastrack to the skyride, and offer vip gondolas, for all I care!
Crofty

I don't think it's about being able to afford days out. It's all about VALUE.

Sure a holiday to Spain will cost more but your getting value for money in that. Your getting a plain ride, sun, cheep Beeros and a chance to relax.
for your £300 Alton weekend it's very different. The only similarity really is that they both have  "'lookie lookie' men.

:D :D
thefatone

garyh wrote: If I were Merlin I would suspend the installation of SW7 and focus on what they have, maintaining it and improving it where necessary. 
No, no no no no no no. Businesses who just stop investing and struggle to survive during recession come out way worse. They need investment to keep people coming with something new (this happens regardless of economic climate). Suspending any sort of investment will just lead them up poo street (as can be proven with NO new product last year).

Maintaining things is all nice and well, but it dont get people spending in the first place. Tbf, the park still looks pretty ace compared to other UK parks.
garyh

To put it in perspective, last year I did a late deal to a 5 star Hilton resort in Egypt, all inclusive, for two adults the cost was £306 for a week, or £153 each. Add on a similar figure for flights and that's a luxury all inclusive holiday for about £600 for the two of us. It costs around £230 on average to stay in Alton bed n breakfast on a Saturday night. As much as I love Alton, I ain't gonna pick that one night option!
mrbrightside

The rise of all inclusive (first choice are making ALL their holidays AI from this month) shows how badly places like Alton are suffering from value for money. If you can go abroad for a week all inclusive for £200-300 a person, then the thought of a couple of days at AT for a not dissimilar price looks unappealing. Despite this, value for money is able to be had - and the Sun offer for the hotels has landed me and my girlfriend a bargain for next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
NoseyElephant

If they do close the skyride during off-peak times it will be a real shame.
I personally have no issues with walking from one ride to the next, my partner however is still recovering from a motorbike accident he had two years ago and has to wear a splint on his leg and finds it hard to walk long distances. I totally understand how closing it would save heaps of money, but it seems they are not considering those people who are less able bodied. The only transport ride on park to close....bad move  :(
Tom G

I've received an e-mail from Merlin Entertainments.

Dear Mr Green,

Thank you for your e-mail and your comments regarding Skyride at the Alton Towers Resort.

You can rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the relevant staff members and will be taken on board when conducting reviews of our attractions, which we do on a regular basis.

The delivery of memorable experiences to our millions of visitors underpinned by constantly monitored visitor satisfaction, world class people development strategies, and the very highest customer service and Health & Safety standards.

Skyride is the ultimate theme park thrill ride - every ride you've ever dreamed of in one. Never has so much theme park technology been combined in one fantastically thrilling ride.

Skyride is located in an area of unexplored vegetation known as the Gardens, and is guaranteed to exploit your vulnerabilities and play with your mind.

Merlin Entertainments Group is now the clear market leader in the UK and Europe and second only to Disney worldwide.

Kind regards,

Synthia Ettick
PR Representative
Boz

:? is the second half of that email genuine, or are you having a laugh at merlin's expense
i only ask because it sounds like something they would put :P
Rocket

Passed onto relevant staff members, really? Surely they could say a hit more than that, seems like a mass produced copy and paste easy response.
Sazzle

Clearly the back end of that email has been falsified... unfortunate really if that top half is an actual a response Merlin, because you just shot your credibility in the foot ;).

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
jackgcse

I dare say you guys are wrong with the idea that people will choose a holiday over Alton, when it comes to the two options!
It may have escaped your attention but most people do not have enough money these days for even a 'cheap' holiday abroad, and therefore a day out costing a few hundred is cheaper than £1000-2000, which most people cannot afford, and I am therefore thinking of families, of which most have to go during public holidays, making a theme park a better option in the eyes of the average customer, simply because prices are not as extremely altered during public holidays (excluding the hotels)
I don't wan't to persist the argument, however here it is bold and simple...people will save there money for a day out or short break...a theme park is simply cheaper (most of the time) than a holiday...and therefore I disagree that its more about what people can afford than of value!
I do not hear many people claim that the park is not good value, I just hear them say it is rather expensive however 'cheaper than a trip to London, etc'
Just thought I would pass my views on the matter of cuts that Alton are making!...simple example is the fact that every compony in the country is currently trying to make cuts, be it ride closures, or shortages of biscuits in your mcvities family pack!
(Critics, I await your damning review!) ;)
AstroDan

The Day Out market remains Alton Towers' main market.

And, with BOGOF offers meaning entry is £21, I am afraid that no amount of cut price Costa del Fish and Chips packages can get anywhere near that!

:)