Am I too big for the rides?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jazzy B Bunny

Ok, this is very embaressing for me :( I'm coming to Alton towers next month and I'm worried I won't fit on the rides, mainly air (my favourite) I'm currently 16st and a size 18-20. My friend says I'll be fine as much bigger people than me go but can someone put my mind at rest?
lozzyhickers

Hey, if you go to the thread named Air size restictions one of the previous workers listed the chest size restrictions for the main rides. Failing that, outside the major coasters there are test seats you can try out  :D

Edit- http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/alton-towers-general/size-restrictions-on-air/15/ Found it for you. Enjoy your trip.
Last edited by lozzyhickers on Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzy B Bunny

Thanks. Feel a little better now. I was a size 16 last time and fitted fine, so only gone up a size or 2. I'll probably try the test seat anyway. My friend is a skinny rake so will have no problems!
Mulcracker

You'll be fine, I've seen men who would be the equivalent of size 50 fitting in  :P
oldgitBEN

I think air is the most restrictive.

However Air, Nemesis, Rita (and possibly nemesis) have test seats before you join the queue, so you can check and get reassurance before you go any further.
Lady Sol

I could get on everything fine at size 20.

However I did need the ride host's help getting on Swarm at Thorpe Park. My thighs were too big for me to close the seat myself  :oops:. Luckily the restraint just needed a push downwards to click into place.

If in doubt quietly ask for directions to the big boy seats. If you can't close the seat, then the ride hosts may be able to close it for you. You can always do a photo opportunity in one of the test seats to try them out.

Crossing your legs apparently helps on Spinball, but I've never managed to get in the car quick enough and easy enough to try it out.
Jazzy B Bunny

Thanks, I do feel a little better now. I've asked my friend if we can head straight for air when we get there as thats the only one i'm really worried about fitting on. I'm going on 3rd/4th June, so a few weeks away yet but its playing on my mind.  :oops:
jenbax

Hiya

I feel your pain. I am a size 18 and was so worried but went to AT last week and got on everything without a single problem.

I mean NOTHING was a struggle (even ripsaw and submission)

As we are the same size (roughly) I don't see why you would have any problem.  I didn't even need any help with any of the barriers and don't know why I was worried.

Relax and have fun!

Jen
Jazzy B Bunny

Thank you. I'm less worried now :) I shall update when I've been. I'm really looking forward to it, haven't been since 2008!
RickiAscension

It sounds like you'll be just fine :)

I've been desperately trying to lose weight for a long time and one of my inspirations has been wanting to go back to Alton Towers. Used to go twice a year every year since I was born up until I moved back to Scotland in 2006. Now I'm 6ft, about 22 stone with a 44" waist and 52" Chest. So I've got absolutely NO chance haha! I keep screwing up, but I've set yet another goal of going in October for scarefest, that gives me 5 months to get that chest and waist down a few inches, Because right now I think I'm on the borderline!

But I guess we'll see where it goes,

Sounds to me from what others have said you'll have no problems though :)
Dingerbell

Good luck Ricki at losing the weight
RickiAscension

Thanks! I'ts been a veery long struggle so far with many many many failed attempts, but tomorrow is another day as they say!

I sometimes delude myself that I can get away with it because of my height, but I think everyone has a slightly sugar coated image of themselves in their heads haha!

You can get a good idea of the length I have to go to from my bands music video actually, that's fairly representative of my current weight... (I'm the vocalist)

Jazzy B Bunny

I've just joined a gym and I go to zumba once a week. I'm determind now. I only want to be a 14, so nothing too drastic but not a lot will change in 3 weeks :( Most of me is squishy so I should be ok  :oops:

Here's me as of last week at Chester zoo. Hope I don't scare anyone haha!
Last edited by Jazzy B Bunny on Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
badboi787

You should be fine, though if your still not sure then go use the test seats outside the major attractions (Air, Rita, Oblivion and Nemesis).
Jazzy B Bunny

I probably will try the seats anyway :)
gaelanne

Hi,

I'm sorry to intrude myself in your thread but I'm kinda freaking out.

I'm french so excuse any english mistake ;)

My friends and I are going to thorpe park next month and reading all of these restrictions kinda makes me want to cancel on them LOL

I'm really scared I won't fit in nemesis or the swarm... and I thought you could help

I'm not worried about the torso restriction, I'm 44 inches so it looks like it's OK

Waist : 39

but my thigh are my biggest fear : 33 inches

Do you think I could fit in the seat ?

Thanks for you help :)
Dormiens-Dave

The only really restrictive ride "thigh" wise is Colossus, no idea what the restriction is though. That said i have chunky legs and fit.
Tom G

Unless you need to slice off your leg and count rings to determine your age, I don't think thigh sizes are too important in the UK. You could be the person that feels the pressure of the bars on Hex, make a noise and have everyone in your bay look at you as if to say "what the hell?" but apart from that...
gaelanne

Really ?

I'm freaking out because of this : which may not be possible for some guests with larger torso or thigh
measurements

Seeing the pics of The Swarm or Nemesis I'm afraid I won't be able to attach the thing between the thigh LOL but thank you, I'm a little relieved to read your answers ;)

Thanks again  :D
Unless you need to slice off your leg and count rings to determine your age, I don't think thigh sizes are too important in the UK
:P  :lol:
Jem8472

To be honest when I have been in any theme parks UK or in Florida (there are a lot of larger people in Florida) I have never seen someone have problems getting in because of their thighs. It has always been a problem with the restraints going over their chest or stomach and not closing down enough to lock in place.