Why is the whole of X-Sector closed?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Alfreton Red

This has been the case since at least 2:30 today and is apparently due to "technical difficulties". Any ideas? Is it normal to close off a whole area?
Chubba

I got turned away aswell mate :?, heard they where having problems with power in the area!
Last edited by Chubba on Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket

SW7 works affecting the area? Cutting through something maybe.
TomahawkTom

I was there this morning and it all seamed fine. Must have happened after I left
Louised237

I was queuing for oblivion when we got turned away due to a problem which no staff helped with, after goin out of the queue the hole in the ground where the track goes had alot of people gathered round, thought maybe a train was stuck, upon looking further saw a man who had climbed over the fence to get to the track and was stood on the edge wall bit just to the back of the track and alot of security trying to talk him out, we then got moved on. When driving out of Alton towers at 1715 saw an ambulance and a police car. So I dunno but this is what I saw. Gutted I couldn't go on oblivion tho.
Alex.D

car may have stalled and some one had a heart atack?
(probably unlikely but still thats all i can think of at the mo)
:?
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Rollermad

People , may have been a suicide attempt?
Last edited by Rollermad on Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemesis_egg

I SAW THE GUY CLIMB INTO THE OBLIVION HOLE!!!!!!!
we were standing around deciding if we wanted to go on the small rides there, and I saw a guy climbing up the wire fence. His trousers we were soaking wet as he'd gone through the pond, and we watched in shock as he pulled himself over the fence, lower himself down the flimsy wires, his shoe fell off as he tried to find a foothold. At this point the ride was still active and if a car had come out as he was lowering himself, who knows what would have happened?????????????????????????????????

we were just so frozen and shocked, we were looking round to see if anyone else was seeing what we were seeing, and we started shouting. Then we saw him lower himself a bit further and just drop down the hole!!!!!
we were panicking like mad trying to alert the staff to stop the ride. when we found someone to tell it took ages for them on the phone to beleive what we'd seen and after a few cars had gone round, eventually the ride was stopped.

there was loads of people gathering round, and it took a very very long time for 2 security guards to come running down. these guys clearly weren't prepared for any kind of rapid response, when they eventually got to the oblivion hole, they had no key to get though the gate. the first guy who seemed a bit more in shape was able to clamber over the security gate, and after his large companion realised he couldnt get rhough, he very comically hauled himself over.

about 10 minutes later, one of the staff members came to inform us that they had foudn the guy down there, he wasn't injured, but he was very 'confused'.

so who knows what happened?????????????? it was mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instant Mix

I'm confused - by "Oblivion hole" do you mean the exit or entrance? Considering you said pond I'm lead to believe the exit but the rest of what you are saying could easily be the entrance as well.. seems bloody crazy though. One helluva way to go
CrazyTowers

Hi, my sister & her boyfriend went to AT today, they said oblivion was closed due to someone mucking foolishley about the oblivion hole. (She said they died but I chose not to belive her.) Then they & dozens of others were told to leave the oblivion que-line & go have fun elsewhere or something like that. (Don't blame me if this's all wrong! Blame my sister & her boyfriend!) :) Any way we can just wait for now for some sort of press/media sort of thing, they'll twist up the story! I mean cover the story! lol
It's been a while.
Squiggles

Edwardo..... move me!
starbugger1303

http://riderater.co.uk/?p=1758

From what I've heard, it was attempted suicide...
Pennywise

Can't wait for the Daily Mail's take on this... "UNSAFE AMUSEMENT PARK RIDE THREATENS LIVES OF FAMILIES AND SCARS CHILDREN FOR LIFE"?

Glad the guy is OK though. :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

I bet the Ropers will be loving this news...
Bear

If this was an attempted suicide, then I find that very very upsetting. I eagerly await more news in the hope that it's not as bad as I thought.
Mulcracker

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I bet the Ropers will be loving this news...
They probably paid someone to do it, managed to close the ride for the rest of the day so they could enjoy their afternoon tea without the windows shaking  :lol:
Tom G

It was Stephen Roper. He reportedly had a megaphone and said "I will shut this thing down one way or another."
Last edited by Tom G on Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roary01

If a full investigation will be taking place, does this mean OBLIVION will be closed until the investigation has taken place??
Tom G

roary01 wrote: If a full investigation will be taking place, does this mean OBLIVION will be closed until the investigation has taken place??
I wouldn't have thought so.
BigAl

If this is an attempted suicide, I think it's best if people don't make jokes about it.