Roper update

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

jackandylan123 wrote: I just don't get the Ropers argument, yes The Smiler is a lot louder than Oblivion, but even so, you can't hear it unless you're next to X-Sector. Anyway, it isn't even a place they go to most of the time, it's their second house for god sake! If they have the money to sue Merlin for this 'noise' then why don't they sell that house and get one that's not right next to a theme park! IT'S SO SIMPLE!!! *rage over*
Don't give them ideas  :roll:
rosco1982uk

Wow. The attitudes of some posters on this thread borders on frightening.

The Ropers appear to have been a thorn in the side of Alton Towers for some time now. Their ultimate motives have been questioned by plenty.

However the bottom line is that they have a property which borders the park. The noise generated upsets them. Is it justified - I don't know, I don't live in their property.

I do however live near Glasgow Airport and near Bellahouston Park (recently hosted Eminem, Avicii, the Pope, Kings of Leon). The noise from the airport borders on ridiculous at times and the general level of traffic, noise and general mess created by concerts is significant also.

Should I just stop being a moaner and sell my property (making a loss) because some people want to jump about to music 3 or 4 times a year? No. I was here before the music.

Don't get me wrong. I love Oblivion. I'd love to see what Alton Towers could become without the treeline restriction, without the noise restriction. But if (and it's a big if) the noise is a nuisance, then they have every right to complain. Some very selfish attitudes of "well if they don't like it they can move" being banded about - more often than not by people who don't live in the area.

I propose an experiment. Ask your neighbour to go and turn their music up so you hear it as a dull beat or hum for 8 hours a day. See if it annoys you.
Owen

rosco1982uk wrote: Wow. The attitudes of some posters on this thread borders on frightening.

The Ropers appear to have been a thorn in the side of Alton Towers for some time now. Their ultimate motives have been questioned by plenty.

However the bottom line is that they have a property which borders the park. The noise generated upsets them. Is it justified - I don't know, I don't live in their property.

I do however live near Glasgow Airport and near Bellahouston Park (recently hosted Eminem, Avicii, the Pope, Kings of Leon). The noise from the airport borders on ridiculous at times and the general level of traffic, noise and general mess created by concerts is significant also.

Should I just stop being a moaner and sell my property (making a loss) because some people want to jump about to music 3 or 4 times a year? No. I was here before the music.

Don't get me wrong. I love Oblivion. I'd love to see what Alton Towers could become without the treeline restriction, without the noise restriction. But if (and it's a big if) the noise is a nuisance, then they have every right to complain. Some very selfish attitudes of "well if they don't like it they can move" being banded about - more often than not by people who don't live in the area.

I propose an experiment. Ask your neighbour to go and turn their music up so you hear it as a dull beat or hum for 8 hours a day. See if it annoys you.
I will second this.
It's there home, they DO have the right to complain without all the nasty comments but if I'm honest, many people have said, and proved that the noise is minor, although I do understand there complain when it comes to events.
I bet if you got to know them there decent people, they just like to do something about it, unlike others, and of course they have there money! Haha

Also,instead of taking them to court, I think they should use it to there benefit, i expect it be little out of there pocket to buy a shop, to make money of tourists?
So yes, you must see both sides to this, otherwise it's a pointless debate of bla,bla, bla repeatedly...
Last edited by Owen on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

^^ that is put very well mate :D

But the thing is, some people can ignore noise, some can't, I don't deal to well with noise, but I live right next to B'ham Airport, that is going through a massive extension as I'm sure you know, I don't live the closest to it, but I can still hear it, but I have my life to get on with and I just ignore it. I know people across the road who really don't like the noise, but also get on with it. If the ropers really are suffering from noise problems IN THEIR SECOND HOUSE then they wouldn't be trying to get rid of Fireworks at AT ;)

If they can really hear Nemesis and Oblivion from their second house, then I would be happy to buy it if it went on sale, and I am sure you lot would feel the same about that also :lol: (not sure if anything I said made sense, if it didn't make sense...don't judge me :cry:)
Ladyofthelake

I can see this from both sides.

When you move somewhere that is relatively peaceful you don't expect to have something to expand the way Alton has and introduce increased noise levels. My family and I live in a village that is about to be disrupted by the HS2 rail line. Although it's not going through the village, it is going to destroy the historic woodland next to us. Not only will we get several years of construction noise and traffic, but we will also get the noise of the regular high speed trains. We moved to the village 10 years ago, before the government even thought of HS2 and are understandably very angry, especially as should my parents wish to sell the house has been devalued because of the future noise pollution. If we had the money we'd be adding a further legal challenge to those already in place with HS2, especially as my local train services will not receive any additional benefit.

On the other hand you have to consider the benefits AT brings to the area. I don't know any stats, but I should imagine a lot of local businesses have grown off of the tourism AT draws to the area, should AT be forced to scale back (or worst case scenario shut down) many of those businesses will not survive. I would also have thought that AT is a major employer in the area, just like Warwick Castle is near me. 
Ripsaw Raver

Well heres a list of those who benefit.
;Any local small attraction in the area for added tourism
:Transport Co's So all the Taxis-Buses-Trains
:Hospitality- All the B&Bs and Hotels which without AT i dare say would have quite an issue with occupancy
;Catering One area that was hardly hit by recession and pubs shutting down was this area, With a constant stream of locals and visitors to the Pubs/Restaurants and Takeaways all have been able to stay afloat in hard times
;Retail all the little shops from the little off licence upto the bigger shops in the likes of Cheadle-Ashbourne.
Im sure there are many others who benefit from AT bieng there so surely if they want to damage AT for there own peace i find it extremely selfish that the would risk all those who rely on the park for there income to fall too
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
sw7nutter

ladyofthelake wrote: I can see this from both sides.

When you move somewhere that is relatively peaceful you don't expect to have something to expand the way Alton has and introduce increased noise levels. My family and I live in a village that is about to be disrupted by the HS2 rail line. Although it's not going through the village, it is going to destroy the historic woodland next to us. Not only will we get several years of construction noise and traffic, but we will also get the noise of the regular high speed trains. We moved to the village 10 years ago, before the government even thought of HS2 and are understandably very angry, especially as should my parents wish to sell the house has been devalued because of the future noise pollution. If we had the money we'd be adding a further legal challenge to those already in place with HS2, especially as my local train services will not receive any additional benefit.
I live under the flight path for gatwick and my garden backs onto a railway line. I can imagine living near Alton towers is annoying but there are so many worse places for noise. This not in my back yard policy everyone has adopted is stupid just like HS2. It has to go somewhere and it's a train every 30 mins to an hour after 2 weeks you wouldn't even notice a train that makes a slight noise that lasts for a second.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Stellafella

I moved into my house and it was great till a right idiot moved in next door......I never for one moment imagined this would happen.......Im so gonna sue

Please refrain from posting abuse and swearing in your post ~ Kirsty25 Team TTF
Last edited by Stellafella on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stealthsmiler

Hi, does anybody know what the current situation with the Ropers court case. I know back in 2012 they could take AT to the high court but haven't heard anything since. I presume they've come to their senses and dropped it, lost or are building up a case to come back with a bang (in their eyes).

I dont see how they can argue as other people live near AT and dont complain. AT has been a public leisure area for 100s of years and if people can live next door to airports with planes flying past their houses at all hours of the day and night, they can put up with noise from 9-6. Plus all rides have to go through planning permission.

Just wondering if anybody knows anything as, if AT were to loose the case, it would be sad to see the removal of many rides/areas and Alton towers wouldnt be the same ever again as they will always dance delicately around the situation.
ryan8741

I have been wondering the same. Surely they would have dropped it now?!
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...
DeanGaryCox

It's just ridiculous considering the amount of jobs the park creates for the local areas, and bringing tourism into the surrounding areas like staying in hotels, visiting other attractions, etc.
LDN1

Never ever underestimate the malicious willpower of NIMBYism.

(Even if the themepark/airport/anything has been there years before you were)
lf2001

Wouldn't they just tell the people complaining (is it still the ropers?) just to move house. I definitely don't see any rides being removed just because a few people are complaining.
LDN1

lf2001 wrote:Wouldn't they just tell the people complaining (is it still the ropers?) just to move house. I definitely don't see any rides being removed just because a few people are complaining.
Very unlikely any court would allow such a move by Merlin, or any other company.
stealthsmiler

I just thought it was odd that the Ropers could take AT to the high court then just dropped it. Didn't know if I was missing anything when I was looking it up, so thought I'd ask.
Michelle

Merged topics to keep all Roper discussion in one place.
Enk27

stealthsmiler wrote:I just thought it was odd that the Ropers could take AT to the high court then just dropped it. Didn't know if I was missing anything when I was looking it up, so thought I'd ask.
The wheels of justice can move quite slowly in the High Court. The legal landscape has changed a bit recently and a lot of Court time appears to be taken up with interpreting the Jackson reforms from April 2013. One of two things is likely to have happened/is happening:-

1) AT and the Ropers have agreed settlement and the matter is now resolved. The terms of the settlement may be subject to a confidentiality agreement and/or simply been ignored by the press (tbf most settlement agreements are pretty boring).

2) More likely the matter is simply working it's way towards a hearing. Amongst other items with such a case both parties need to be provided sufficient time to obtain their evidence. Therefore it may be a year or longer before matter gets to a final hearing. The press is unlikely to report anything until the matter is near to a resolution.

Hope this assists.
Thorpe Towers 13

Well I read an article somewhere that the judge strongly advised them to think about continuing with the prosecutions. It was costing them a fortune (will try and find it) and for what they were paying there was little progress. They said it would not deter them but who knows, be nice if they came over to the fun side. Cant find that one where the judge advised them to stop but these two seem to show that it is not going their way. It is their home but you live by Alton Towers, what do you expect?

Smile always Mr and Mrs Roper :moj :moj :moj

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Neighbou ... story.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ident.html
stu1980

I just reading someone said its all been dropped from the high court. So is it all over now or not. im lost
Thorpe Towers 13

From what I read it has been but they are not giving up, or so they say.