Roper update

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
PeteB

nicolah wrote: the fireworks they are louder in the village that the actual resort it sounds like bombs
That is technically impossible.

Besides, it's only 3 nights per year. I still don't understand why it had to be cut from the original 5 to 3. Surely the other 360 days of the year are enough "quiet time".

The Ropers, as with anyone living next to an Airport and taking legal action, in my opinion is an incredibly selfish act. Thousands if not millions of people need/want to use those services - airport's or a day out at a theme park and for one or a handful of people to complain about it to the point where it's affecting a business and other peoples lives is selfish of gargantuan proportions.

Let's not forget also that the Ropers have been a huge nuisance and inconvenience to others with their China factory.
Lee

PeteB wrote:The Ropers, as with anyone living next to an Airport and taking legal action, in my opinion is an incredibly selfish act. Thousands if not millions of people need/want to use those services - airport's or a day out at a theme park and for one or a handful of people to complain about it to the point where it's affecting a business and other peoples lives is selfish of gargantuan proportions.
I think that's an entirely unfair generalisation to make Pete. Just because thousands of people use the airport, doesn't mean I should shut up about it and just accept it. We lived here before the airport had its massive expansion, we didn't live below the landing flight paths and nor were we consulted when the airport literally exploded into the international flight hub it is now.

The reason I used the point is because we don't want to close the airport down. Heck, I even use it myself! But we would like some consideration from the airport. And I think originally, that's how the ropers begin, but then they stuck their heels in and do seem to want the Earth. The people in my area just want a night and day off every now and then ;)
mattiepearce

I do see where the ropers are coming from as I live in the second nearest house to Lincolnshire Showground so I get people praying half 5 in the morning, concerts at eleven the lot. But I live with it. I also live on a RAF base so I get all that noise as well. If I can live with that, then the ropers can live near Alton Towers
Lee

Coastermadpearce wrote: I do see where the ropers are coming from as I live in the second nearest house to Lincolnshire Showground so I get people praying half 5 in the morning, concerts at eleven the lot. But I live with it. I also live on a RAF base so I get all that noise as well. If I can live with that, then the ropers can live near Alton Towers
Just because you do, you can't expect other people to. I'm not supporting the ropers, far from it. But we live in Britain, a democratic country. Everyone has the right to air their issues and persue it legally if they desire, even if its against the popular consensus.
sw7nutter

Moving in even when it was a fair ground they must have thought it was going to get bigger. Just like airports there never going to stay the same size for ever. Companies need to grow or there's no point in having them and they will grow any way they can. To move into a house and to think the fun fair across the road will stay like that  for ever is a bit naive.
Last edited by sw7nutter on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
gaz1313

sw7nutter wrote: Moving in even when it was a fair ground they must have thought it was going to get bigger. Just like airports there never going to stay the same size for ever. Company's need to grow or there's no point in having them and they will grow any way they can. To move into a house and to think the fun fair across the road will stay like that  for ever is a bit naive.
I don't think you can move next to a fairground and pleasure gardens believing it will become the size of Alton Towers. These places can snowball and grow very quickly out of nothing, but you can't say that if you moved next to a fairground, you'd think it could grow to this scale. Yes it was already a tourist attraction, but it wasn't to be expected to grow to this scale.
Rob
Admin
Admin

The Ropers used to make more noise then Alton Towers do now. Most of the locals are fine and welcome Alton Towers and the amount of money customers bring to the local area, a lot of busisnesses accurately wouldn't survive if Alton Towers wasn't there.

As they say "there's always one"
gaz1313

Rob-TT wrote: The Ropers used to make more noise then Alton Towers do now. Most of the locals are fine and welcome Alton Towers and the amount of money customers bring to the local area, a lot of businesses accurately wouldn't survive if Alton Towers wasn't there.

As they say "there's always one"
This I agree with. It is always the minority that spoil or attempt to spoil for the majority. I just don't understand how some can expect people to have the foresight to see that Alton would develop from a pleasure gardens with a good amount of visitors, to a world renowned theme park.
Senator

I understand quite a lot of people are moany at these people but its their choice. Just think about, your house is right next to the Smiler, and you've had to put up with people screaming for 10 years, what would you do.. Ask if there can anything be done through court because they won't listen straight away or live in suffer? I know what I'd pick

Thanks NickiFan
Owen

Senator wrote: I understand quite a lot of people are moany at these people but its their choice. Just think about, your house is right next to the Smiler, and you've had to put up with people screaming for 10 years, what would you do.. Ask if there can anything be done through court because they won't listen straight away or live in suffer? I know what I'd pick
The thing is they haven't, it's been proven that them having there TV. On or a bird tweeting can drown out the theme park noise  :roll:
Jack

I just don't get the Ropers argument, yes The Smiler is a lot louder than Oblivion, but even so, you can't hear it unless you're next to X-Sector. Anyway, it isn't even a place they go to most of the time, it's their second house for god sake! If they have the money to sue Merlin for this 'noise' then why don't they sell that house and get one that's not right next to a theme park! IT'S SO SIMPLE!!! *rage over*
Last edited by Jack on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

jackandylan123 wrote:If they have the money to sue Merlin for this 'noise' then why don't they sell that house and get one that's not right next to a theme park! IT'S SO SIMPLE!!! *rage over*
I think the point they will be making is why should they move house because of disturbances cause by a theme park that expanded a long time after they arrived.
sw7nutter wrote: Moving in even when it was a fair ground they must have thought it was going to get bigger. Just like airports there never going to stay the same size for ever. Company's need to grow or there's no point in having them and they will grow any way they can. To move into a house and to think the fun fair across the road will stay like that  for ever is a bit naive.
That's an entirely unfair point to make. I have a gardens and an amusement park (no rides) down the road, I'm not expecting them to purchase a B&M and an intamin in the next 10 years.* This is pretty much a similar example.

* Credit to Michelle for the joke.
bensaund

But to be honest while the law is the way it is, they will keep fighting.

They would not have got this far without the law being on their side. If anything as frustrating as it is and believe me I would want the Towers to be bigger and louder. It does make them work harder.

As long as the Towers does their bit, makes their rides as quiet as possible (for example quiet anti- roll backs and not very loud banging ones), adds noise reduction fences, additional bushes etc.  I don't see the problem.

You have to ask yourself how loud is acceptable... Do I complain to the school about the children making lots of noise during lunchtime or the noise from a local road?

I don't think the Ropers have much of a valid point being a second home and the limited number of hours the park is open. But then again I don't live in Alton so I can't really comment. But I do live under the Heathrow flight path and always have done and I don't even notice the noise.
If you go down to the woods today
bensaund

I don't think it is even for the money side. They just want to make a point and some people get a kick out of doing these things.
Ripsaw Raver

and what about the poor sods who have to live with the eyesore of Churchill China on there doorstep. Im sure its not too great for them really, a loud factory with lorrys coming day in day out which makes a housing area look like an industrial estate. im sure the people of that area love trying to sell there house with that monstrosity next door. Least AT tried to hide there obstructions Churchill China however produce a silver and blue box 3 stories high! Where is the consideration in that. It has even been proven that there factory makes more noise than the problems they have with AT. The only difference the poor people of the area surrounding Churchill China dont have the money let alone the power and lawyers to be able to make a difference, they just have to grit there teeth and settle with it because they have no other option. So all it boils down to IS MONEY and that is why TheRopers do it BECAUSE THEY CAN! yet the people they cause a misery too Well, i suppose because there not rich its just too bad for them.. Yeah that seems fair eh?
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
bensaund

:D

I can see this topic has not run out of steam yet!
Lee

bensaund wrote: :D

I can see this topic has not run out of steam yet!
Oh God no! On the whole though, it's a very balanced argument :lol:

As I say, I don't support the Ropers as I don't believe they are currently doing it for the correct reasons anymore, especially as has been raised previously about their factory noise issues and lack of common curtsey to local residents.

However, they do make a valid point and it's about getting a fair middle ground between Alton Towers and the local residents, which I imagine is somewhat almost there at the moment. In part, thanks to the legal battle ;)
Lucieloo

Well lets face it, life isn't perfect. No one is going to be able to live anywhere without noise from a something. If we could all pick our houses up and plant them in a middle of nowhere field then you would still probably hear cattle, or tractors, or birds etc.
Everyone has their own level of disturbance. Me personally I havent heard much noise when staying at Trough Ivy, but I suspect when the wind is blowing in a certain direction then noise will change/increase. The most noise I have heard is traffic noise.
I think its time they stopped moaning to because as others have said, its not like they live there all year round, and really regardless as to whether or not they realised Alton Towers would be huge as it is now, some things you have to live with or chose not to. Its not like the Towers have suddenly got bigger overnight. They just sound like a couple who have become quite obsessed with the fight worringly. And as I said before they do appear to be the only people who are complaining and there a loads of houses around that area..?!
What will be will be..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Fish777

When the ropers were rebuilding the house next door to us, there was noise all day everyday, and did we sue them for it? No.
Lee

Therideman11 wrote: When the ropers were rebuilding the house next door to us, there was noise all day everyday, and did we sue them for it? No.
There's a stark difference legally between building work, and sustained progressive noise issues spanning over a decade :lol: