monorail

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
gmonsta

will the monorail be ok tommorow?
mrbrightside

Yes. It should be. The weather should be fine with any luck.
ImageImage
CoasterCrazyChris

djtruefitt wrote: I did used to enjoy the music in the monorail station and it went well with the videos, it was a nice fun and happy bit of music. But the problem was that the videos were really out of date, infact im sure they still had a bit of the thunder looper in the background of Nemesis clip. They really need to film it all again and have a new updated version.

The problem is that an updated version would show the same rides but looking older and as run down like they are.

The likes of Ripsaw, Oblivion, Squirrel Nutty, Runaway Mine Train, Duel and Towers Street are in such a state they aren't fit for the lens like they once were 10 or 15 years ago.

I liked that old Monorail theme and accompanying video, but it wasn't longer enough and became tedious to watch over and over when waiting in line. It just needed added footage of new rides and upcoming events.

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djtruefitt

Well they could use the old clips of the rides, but have new ones mixed in as well. It certainly needs all the new rides added: Th13teen, Rita, Sonic, etc. And more general overview shots of areas and stuff. But it did need to be longer and show more of the resort side of things as well as the theme park.
CoasterCrazyChris

At the end of the day they really ought not be surprised that those Monorail videos were unsuccessful at promoting the resort...a lot of them were played on VCR televisions! The assumption that would then be made by guests that what is being played is out of date and because they are so small no-one pays attention to them anyway.
djtruefitt

The adverts now look even worse on the old TVs because you just cant make out any of the text or what they are trying to see you, it also doesnt help that most of the TVs are missing.

I also dont get why they decide to advertise Ice Age 4D when you are leaving the park?
BigAl

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: At the end of the day they really ought not be surprised that those Monorail videos were unsuccessful at promoting the resort...a lot of them were played on VCR televisions! The assumption that would then be made by guests that what is being played is out of date and because they are so small no-one pays attention to them anyway.
Speaking of TV's, one of the Sony flat screens in the queue line for the monorail station at the carp park has pink lines running down the screen already. :/
CoasterCrazyChris

djtruefitt wrote: The adverts now look even worse on the old TVs because you just cant make out any of the text or what they are trying to see you, it also doesnt help that most of the TVs are missing.

I also dont get why they decide to advertise Ice Age 4D when you are leaving the park?
I think just about every household across the country has a flat screen TV by now, so it baffles me as to why Alton Towers do not consider replacing all of their VCR's a priority.

Except those in Oblivion's queue - they should always stay!

:)
Jordan

I think it's a real loss that they are no longer showing the ride montage in the monorail station now. It always seemed to me like you'd leave the park, be waiting 20 minutes for the monorail and that video would remind you of what a good day you'd had, and you'd wish you could be there longer. I can't see what benefit to Towers would come from advertising the Merlin attractions in the Monorail station - it's not like someone's going to leave the queue to buy an MAP from Towers themselves, even less likely that someone would buy one through the Towers website specifically, counting towards Towers' sales quota of passes - so I reckon the video change has been ordered from Merlin themselves.

I also mourn the loss of the monorail music - yes, ITHOTMK is awesome, but there needs to be some uniqueness too! The new ITHOTMK "WB remix" is fresh, but quite honestly right now it feels so overused on park. And there seems to be a wider audio problem across Towers this year. For example, the Skyride audio feels rushed and downright stressful - a combination of the music too loud and the voiceovers lack of breathing makes the whole journey feel uncomfortable. And I accept that the Skyride is a great place to advertise, but there is just too much in such a short space of time. Last year's audio was a good balance and you could actually relax and look over the gardens. And so far this year I haven't heard any monorail audio at all, perhaps I've just been unlucky though.
Bote

The stations need a complete AV overhaul. Half the CRTs are destored or broken, half the speakers are missing, and what few flat screens there are are all horribly burnt and destored :|
CoasterCrazyChris

They must of bought the cheapest ones going, probably from Curry's or somewhere similar. :P
Bote

I think it's more likely a case that they simply haven't stood the test of time very well. I mean lets face it, the car park station is far from warm, dry, and sheltered. No doubt the harsh elements of the past winters have taken their toll.
djtruefitt

Its probably because last year the screens had the same video on advertising Yourday/ATR DVD which didnt change or anything, so thats probs what the outline is thats left on the screens now.

To be fair both stations need some major refurbishment, they feel very old and outdated, espeically the towers street one. Very 90s looking with the paintwork and signage. it all needs replastering, painting, new flooring, new screens and speakers and much better lighting. They are both really dark and dull.
BigAl

Don't know how long this has been playing, but upon exiting the park today, we heard the old Monorail theme playing once again.

Edit: That was today, sorry. :P
Last edited by BigAl on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JayMMayer

As much as I loved the old monorail theme, the new one - in my opinion - works.

Anyone who has probably seen any Alton advert has probably also heard ITHOTMK, so using the song would make anyone who visits think, 'oh yeah, this is what I heard on the advert,' which, for Merlin, is a brilliant response. Playing this in the monorail stations really creates an Alton Towers iconic 'brand,' which is very memorable.

And, as other people have said, the music needs turning up!
Last edited by JayMMayer on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbrightside

BigAl wrote: Don't know how long this has been playing, but upon exiting the park today, we heard the old Monorail theme playing once again.

Jealous!

When I was there a week or so ago the car park station played the new music, and the plaza station played, well, nothing. No music. No video.
ImageImage
BigAl

mrbrightside wrote:
BigAl wrote: Don't know how long this has been playing, but upon exiting the park today, we heard the old Monorail theme playing once again.

Jealous!

When I was there a week or so ago the car park station played the new music, and the plaza station played, well, nothing. No music. No video.
Haha! But this news has kind of rendered you signature useless as the Monorail theme hasn't died just yet. :P
thefatone

What is irritating for me, is even when they've got the towers st one playing - all the music is far too quiet. Turn it up, for god sake!

As much as i adore the new soundtrack on the new dvd, the ice age advert really gets on my tits.
Queenmaya99

I did too, it was great!
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

Bote

It wasn't playing yesterday :( Just the new ITHOMK in the hotel station, and nothing in Towers Street (Both audio and video)