Alton Towers 2012 in Review

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
djtruefitt

I only ever notice that Sonic has music when it breaks down. Its mainly full of Indie type bands from about 2004 :P

I think the whole of Katanya has had new speakers over the closed season. It was really loud during Feb half term and much better than last year, however now the main season has started its gone really quiet.
Longy

I think that the 2012 season is a huge success so far!
The amount going on over the park.

Now, what I really want to focus on is the new merchandise.

After going on the website, I found that they have updated the shopping page with some new items, some of which I didn't know existed!
The main items are:

Oblivion Rollercoaster
ATR Puzzle Cube (Similar to a Rubik's Cube but AT themed)
ATR Golf Balls, each with the AT, and Extraordinary Golf logos on.
Alton Towers Resort Bottle Opener
ATR Jigsaw (Which is last years promotional image)
New fluffy bears!

http://www.altontowers.com/online-gifts/

There's the link if you want to see any of them!
MatthewR1990

I think the park looks lovely this year, And other than x-sector which for obvious reasons seams a bit cramped and untidy, it was impressively tidy. Staff all seemed really fun especially on Air. (even jokingly trying to throw me off when I answered there calls of "are you having fun?" with "no") I can imagine X-sector getting a nice new lick of paint and a good jet washing for next year. Infact x-sector will be the place to be next year and it's going to get a lot of attention world wide, so Alton towers will definately give it a nice Botox section I think. But all in all my experience went without a hitch. Oh and I absolutely loved Sub-Terra. I think it's a wonderful addition to the park.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
roary01

Matthewr1990 wrote: I think the park looks lovely this year, And other than x-sector which for obvious reasons seams a bit cramped and untidy, it was impressively tidy. Staff all seemed really fun especially on Air. (even jokingly trying to throw me off when I answered there calls of "are you having fun?" with "no") I can imagine X-sector getting a nice new lick of paint and a good jet washing for next year. Infact x-sector will be the place to be next year and it's going to get a lot of attention world wide, so Alton towers will definately give it a nice Botox section I think. But all in all my experience went without a hitch. Oh and I absolutely loved Sub-Terra. I think it's a wonderful addition to the park.
Have to kinda agree and disagree here, yes some areas of the park are looking good this year, but i still feel some areas are been overlooked, and yes
X-sector: will get its make over this year,
Towers Street: its the main entrance and peoples first impressions for the park, and sadly year on year gets little to no attention, and needs a good refurb/re-paint.
Forbidden Valley: good points are obviously that money has been well spent on both Sub-Terra and Ice-age which are now both good additions for the park, and both areas received some much needed maintenance with Ripsaw been refurbed, theming around sub-terra repainted (BUT PLEASE REPAINT NEMESIS' STATION - a monster isn't supposed to be covered in moss and dirt)
Dark Forest: have to admit still needs work in my view, and when they decide to get a new flat maybe they will add more theming.
Katanga Canyon: I love the theming except Mine Train's queue line theming could do with replacing as its kinda gone past it when it just broken pieces of wood/metal which used to be a carriage, but still is one of my favourite areas,
Flume: it really needs some work, there is no where near enough paint to cover up the fact it needs some serious work. It can't be good having the boats dragging along the channels??
Duel: The work that has been done over the seasons to improve the ride is working, and hopefully it will again play a part in Scarefest celebrations.
Mutiny Bay: When i was there last, i did notice some parts of theming damaged (chests around sign by Sea-Life) but the area mostly is still going strong.
Farm: Can't really comment as don't really visit
Spinball: The Station was looking really grubby could of done with a bit of a clean up..

So there are in my view some areas Towers can tackle however year on year they are Improving, Sorry for lengthy Post...
djtruefitt

A few minor updates in Splash Landings. Outside in the smoking area a new "shed" like building as been built to the right hand side of the doors to the bar. It seems to have been built so the staff can get changed into the Ice Age outfits. This also means the controls for the music which were on the wall outside have now gone. And I think the music played outside is now the same as inside. Not sure who controls the volume for it now.
Dormiens-Dave

Going to post a few points here about the resort this weekend...

The good

Duel has never looked better, pillar demon is back, most effects are in sync and the lighting is 10 x better.

Hex's audio is louder, i rode on a half full ride so i will await a full ride before making my mind up as to whether its satisfactory but its certainly better. Also the generator smoke machine is working again.

Sub-Terra is better, not amazing but better. I had ridden the ride since the changes but they seem to have increased the volume in the exit lift so its better.

As i have already said, the pirate boat that roams around is inspired... old school Towers magic!

The Bad

Oblivion looks horrific, there are huge bits of theming coming away from the MDF and other parts that are bubbling out, the fake metal work is being eaten away by moss and the concrete needs power washing.

Nemesis is looking terrible, the monster is literally falling apart. How Mr Varney can come to the park and see the legendary ride he helped create looking like it does baffles me.

Towers Street - Looks tired, not a great first impression

Dark Forest - Considering its only 2 years old this looks really tired, never mind the dark forest taking over Ugland, Ugland seems to be fighting back as huge parts of the old paintwork seem to be re-emerging from under the fading paint. Needs sorting.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Only been for 2 days so far this year, but my own good and bad points are...

The Good

Sub-Terra, I love it, nuff said. :P
The theming of Ice Age 4D on the outside**
Trance Chicken in X-Sector, love it! *noms & dances*
SW7 Teasers
The new fence which does nothing or have any use in the Rapids queue.

The Bad

Hex is a shadow of its former self, Video is messed up, audio in both the vault and screening room are quiet.
**The inside of Ice Age was a let down, hit & miss effects and the film is not designed for 4D really.

The Ugly

Oblivion, needs a face lift, must be done for SW7.
Nemesis' Station :( She needs major surgery, she is dropping to bits the poor cow.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
roary01

Oblivion, needs a face lift, must be done for SW7.
Nemesis' Station :( She needs major surgery, she is dropping to bits the poor cow.
How about the money they save from the Skyride closure, instead of going into Merlin's pockets goes to fixing the "poor cow" back up again before she looses more of her belongings...

(Sorry but loved the description of nemmie station, even if quite childish to laugh at it haha)
JoshC

Has anyone else noticed that the claw machines in gloomy wood have been replaced with a themed photo booth, with a big sign above it that says 'Duel Photos'? I don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed it yesterday.
roary01

JoshC wrote: Has anyone else noticed that the claw machines in gloomy wood have been replaced with a themed photo booth, with a big sign above it that says 'Duel Photos'? I don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed it yesterday.
any pictures of this??
JoshC

Didn't have a chance to get any pictures unfortunately as I was in a hurry at the time, but I'll try and get some when I'm on park next week. :)
roary01

surely they arn't moving the duel photo unit outside, that would be a silly thing to do...
JoshC

It's nothing to do with the ride, just themed to the area :) it's like a passport photo booth
CoasterCrazyChris

JoshC wrote: Has anyone else noticed that the claw machines in gloomy wood have been replaced with a themed photo booth, with a big sign above it that says 'Duel Photos'? I don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed it yesterday.
No doubt this is just another money making gimmick.

I doubt that they would relocate the ride photo counter outside the shop.
djtruefitt

I saw this yesterday. Its certainly fairly new, it wasnt there a few weeks back.

I didnt have a proper look, but it looks like one of them machines where it takes your photo then "draws" it for you. It just seems to have a haunted theme on the outside. But it is nice that its got a DUEL themed sign above it.
JoshC

Here is a piccy of said new photo booth :)

Apparently there is one of these in Mutiny Bay aswell, next to Marauders. They both seem so sell 'most wanted' sketched photos/posters.
AstroDan

Wow! That looks fantastic!!!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
mezza

Can I just say - while it's been an up and down season so far, things are looking very good at the moment.

Recently we've seen:
  • Alton Towers going back to substantially improve a new attraction (Sub Terra)
  • Alton Towers REDUCING ticket prices for some by scrapping online debit card booking fees
  • Alton Towers reversing unpopular decisions (Skyride, opening hours, Enterprise/Submission closure)
  • Alton Towers installing very well themed side attractions (Duel photo)
Well done Alton Towers!
Last edited by mezza on Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Dormiens-Dave

JoshC wrote: Here is a piccy of said new photo booth :)

YES!!

Towers do get it... theme your points of sale!!
mezza

A VAST improvement on what was there previously:

(not very good picture taken from Google Maps, but you get the idea)
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER