Marketing burnt on to your retinas

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Islander

Think this is a good spot to post this image, a 100% unmodified photo of a page within the new Legoland Hotel information folders, found in each room. Take a look at the 'Credit/Debit Cards' bullet point:

Sure, a lot of the phrases in said folder are said in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, but this one just goes that little bit too close to reality to ignore. It's as if they've decided not to bother covering it up any more.
PeteB

NastyPasty wrote: They've finally cracked Thorpe, though Alton seems too much of a conundrum for them at this moment in time. I'm sure they'll be able to understand the park in time.
I dunno matey. Despite however good The Swarm seems to be I think the park has gone in the wrong direction.  If you wind the clock back, the Pearson era of Tussauds totally developed Thorpe and they were making as much of a family park as any other. They were building rides with nice theming, areas of "green" for beauty and relaxing, and a number of kids rides.

Now, thanks to M£rlin (and partially DIC) its the nation's chav-thrill capital.

I can't see it working out in the long term, they won't make enough money to develope properly.
Dormiens-Dave

PeteB wrote:
That was Tussauds plan after Chessington had a few planning applications fall through, Merlin just continued the format. Everything up to Stealth was Tussauds after-all.
PeteB

Dormiens-Dave wrote:
PeteB wrote:
That was Tussauds plan after Chessington had a few planning applications fall through, Merlin just continued the format. Everything up to Stealth was Tussauds after-all.
Stealth was DIC Tussauds :)
Mattia

I seriously miss the electricity days of the 2004 marketing. Loved that look, so dark yet magical. Hell, even miss the pipe days of 2008! But I must say, I just want alton to find a good solid marketing identity they can run with for a good while. Stars were timeless for Alton and they made the magic. But since the days of them leaving, I feel alton has struggled to find a successful and strong vision to build the "new" magic upon. The "escapism" isn't pushed and thus, is far too weak an image for Alton. It needs something new, something fresh and timeless - yet complimentary to one of the most magical, dark and whimsical places in the UK.

I actually like the banner that was on Ripsaw's construction - I suppose if you've got the option to have a blank, dirty white banner or one with an advert on it - then go for it. Much like I loved the Master Blaster billboard in the car park.

One thing I absolutely despise is Towers Street. The amount of complaints I've given to them regarding the bloody "quench your thirst bitch!" or "have a photo!" comments is awful! To be honest, I just want to get off this street as quick as possible. I don't feel relaxed out on the street anymore, I just keep my head down and even tell the people I'm with to avoid eye contact with the staff - it's like a bloody mission.

I think marketing needs to be far more subtle and/or used to their advantage I.E. construction walls or even with scaffolding (Oh, wait they might plaster Thirteen and Sub-Terra scaffolding in marketing now...). Not thrust down you with god knows how many staff members by the entrance and on Towers Street.
CoasterCrazyChris

PeteB wrote:
NastyPasty wrote: They've finally cracked Thorpe, though Alton seems too much of a conundrum for them at this moment in time. I'm sure they'll be able to understand the park in time.
I dunno matey. Despite however good The Swarm seems to be I think the park has gone in the wrong direction.  If you wind the clock back, the Pearson era of Tussauds totally developed Thorpe and they were making as much of a family park as any other. They were building rides with nice theming, areas of "green" for beauty and relaxing, and a number of kids rides.

I can't see it working out in the long term, they won't make enough money to develop properly.
I've always believed that the "THORPE PARK" approach was doomed from the start.

Creating a theme park solely aimed at teenagers and young people is a risky move as trends can change as quickly as they arrive and a single miscalculation could lead to the loss of half your customer base.

Building £10-20 million rollercoasters every three years is NOT a sustainable business model. You will not get a significant enough return on investment when your target market is narrow and your attendance levels peaked several years ago.

But without a doubt, Thorpe Park has the potential to be the next Alton Towers.

The relaxed planning restrictions, location next to the UK's largest city, fantastic transport links and HUGE areas of undeveloped land could easily ensure this.

The left of the car parks could become a waterside entertainments complex with boardwalk area hosting evening lake shows. The right side could be developed with multiple hotels and a waterpark larger than any in Europe. The farm could be reopened and improved with a range of children's attractions and a Sealife centre. This just scratches the surface with what could be done.

Will it happen? No. Why? No vision and huge constraints. Much in the same way as Alton Towers.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldgitBEN

Perhaps Altons marketing team could offer a fast-track to get down towers street without all the upselling staff.
Kaycee

Islander wrote: Think this is a good spot to post this image, a 100% unmodified photo of a page within the new Legoland Hotel information folders, found in each room. Take a look at the 'Credit/Debit Cards' bullet point:

Sure, a lot of the phrases in said folder are said in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, but this one just goes that little bit too close to reality to ignore. It's as if they've decided not to bother covering it up any more.
I'm flabbergasted! It would be hilare if it wasn't so TRUE! It's almost as if it was a 'jokey' draft, and they just forgot to amend that one! WOW
BigHairJoe

that is like the Merlin Entertainments staff brief. lol

Bit cheeky though :D
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

It's a family friendly, relaxed park, so a light-hearted joke never did Merlin any harm. They get the money at the end of the day. That actually made my day, thanks for posting! I'm gobsmacked, it seems like LEGOLAND snuck that in behind Merlin's turned backs.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
haydn!

Tom wrote:
Tom G wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I don't know if it is common knowledge, but Thorpe Park actually have been given a figure by Merlin for the amount of money they should aim to get off each guest once they have entered the park.

:)
Yeah that's a typical business model, they have targets for the takings of each food outlet in the parks etc also. A friend saw a £1,000 takings budget/target for the doughnut stall in Forbidden Valley on a day last year.
The Golf Challenge game on the lake can take up to £1,500 each day. Daft money!
Not really, it's surprising how easily that kind of money racks up. When I worked at the American Adventure about 10 years ago, we had targets that ranged from £300 to £1000 a day on the midway games. And we achieved them with around 10% of the visitors Alton Towers gets.

You get this kind of up selling everywhere you go these days, just some places do it better than others.
Benzin

I must be the only person who manages to evade all these sellers down Towers Street... There's usually only two doing Quenchers at the top, and two photographers on either side... A simple no to them works, always has done in my experiences...

It's like any shop nowadays though, buy one thing "do you need this? have you got this?", it's completely the norm in the UK these days, and it's probably here to stay... And indeed, whilst it can be annoying, all you have to do is say "no thankyou" as it's not as forceful as people seem to make out...
CoasterCrazyChris

Benzin wrote: I must be the only person who manages to evade all these sellers down Towers Street... There's usually only two doing Quenchers at the top, and two photographers on either side... A simple no to them works, always has done in my experiences...

It's like any shop nowadays though, buy one thing "do you need this? have you got this?", it's completely the norm in the UK these days, and it's probably here to stay... And indeed, whilst it can be annoying, all you have to do is say "no thankyou" as it's not as forceful as people seem to make out...
It's not about whether you avoid them or not...they shouldn't be there in the first place!

A theme park is not a shop or a market, it is a place where you come to have a break from your ordinary daily life to have fun.

A decent theme park will find better ways of making money from guests once they have entered the park.

:)
TomahawkTom

Merlin have basically turned our fun days out to "the magic" of AT into a business only interested in making profit. You can't have a lot of fun if every time you come off a ride or enter a area, there is someone standing there, trying to get you to buy something. Is there any escape?
mrbrightside

Tom... Your days of 'enjoying the magic' have ALWAYS been about them making a profit out of you. If towers only just started trying to make money out of guests when Merlin came along, well, it wouldnt have lasted long enough for Merlin to even have bought the place.

Yes Merlin might make it seem more obvious, but I'm sure in the 'golden days' the staff would have still had a key amount of money to try and get outta each customer every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
DanteNero666

Rides have been exiting into shops for as long as I can remember, I don't even take any notice anymore. Its become the norm and in some ways I like stepping into the shop after exiting the ride and looking at the merchandise, thats the only time I'm going to buy merch!

The Magic is still there, it just depends on if you let marketing and Merlin wanting to make a profit, get in the way of you enjoying it. I believe that, to some extent, we make our own magic. The Marketing, up selling and shops only ruin your visit and experience of The Magic, if you let it.

(In my opinion)
Give me a coaster handshake!
Benzin

Disney have upsellers as well throughout the parks...

JAT
MattsDesigns

I think some of the hard sell really is not friendly. The photographers are a good example - They trick people and you don't feel welcomed (no offence if you work there and get lumbered with that job).
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
jackgcse

Now that the monorail now shows a loop that is abour 2 minutes long, I have learnt the fireworks are the biggest most dazzling display, and scarefest is spooktacular fun! hahaha, thats pretty much it for the monorail video in the queue line!
Jon

I'm not sure if this has been the case since his installment, but the talking parrot in Mutiny Bay will, after chatting for a bit about whatever is on his mind, say that Splash Landings is a great place to spend a weekend. This I found ridiculous. If this advert has been added to the Parrot's repertoire only recently, I am infuriated that they changed the sound but didn't bother to fix the animatronic - he looks ridiculous and tacky when he doesn't work properly. It is a ludicrous way of advertising whose only effect is to make the park look stupid. Noone would book a hotel room on the advice of a talking robot parrot.
Last edited by Jon on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "Dagoo"