Ice Age - The 4-D Experience Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dormiens-Dave

As one of 2 new attractions this year Ice Age - The 4-D Experience is about to open and here is the topic for everyones views on Alton Towers new 4-D show. Whether you have given the attraction 10 out of 10 or the attraction left you cold, here is the place to discus everything Ice Age.

Also don't forget to post a review in Ice Age 4-D's own review topic here

As always expect in-depth descriptions of the attraction, if you don't wish to know stop reading now.
Last edited by Dormiens-Dave on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flange

A few photos of Ice Age from Towers Nerd. http://live.towersnerd.com/

Photo Point inside.

The Screen
roary01

have to admit the theming is much better than i thought, however the screen seems a bit meh...
but again it is only a filler attraction and when your in there it probably wont matter too much, but overall looks like a fantastic effort!
DiogoJ42

:shock: Really?? A green screen photo point for a cinema? That's pathetic.

Must admit though, I wasn't expecting the outside to have any more than a poster, so fair play there. How badly does it clash with the rest of CCL?
MattsDesigns

So I'm looking at the picture of the pipe that hits your legs during the film (from the towers nerd site) and I'm wondering
How does that hit your legs during the film when preferably you are going to be sitting in a chair somewhere?? anyone?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Johno

I actually quite like the green screen photo point! Kids will love it, though possibly better if it was just at the end of the attraction.

Also, from the pictures the signage at the front looks a bit disappointing. The themeing all around looks excellent, but the 2D cutout could have at least been 3D.
Poison Tom 96

The experience is brill :)

The turf actually looks good on the building

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk
DiogoJ42

Random-Stuff-That-Doesn't-Fit-Anywhere-Else-Land? :lol:
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

I like how it is brilliantly themed, but I dislike it trying to steal the CCL signs thunder, but I am not too peeved as every successful children area should have a IP.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
PeteB

This looks great all round, haven't been to see it yet but looks good from the photo's.  Only things that might give me reason to complain are:

1. Outside theming is nice but those cattlepens make it look a mess!

2. Screen is far too small, it should have been the width of the room!

I dont think it clashes with the CCL theme either.  It has a cartoony appearance that goes with CCL, Driving School, and Charlie.
Squiggles

The queueline area looks very nice. And what they've done with the seating area at the front is quite good. I wouldn't say it clashes with Cloud Cuckoo Land, but the signage does look very cheap, and this especially shows where it interacts with the better quality Cloud Cuckoo Land signage, both at the entrance to the area and especially on the Toy Shop, which looks very cheap.

The outside of the theatre looks a little rough around the edges (it looks like there's still some features to be added and it's a shame they've not made more effort with the windows), though the astroturf is a nice contrast to the ice. However the inside of the theatre is an awful lot better then I'd ever expected it would be, with quite a few nice theming touches.

However at the end of the day it is a 4D Cinema, so it'll be interesting to see whether there is an actual demand for this type of attraction and whether it'll still be pulling houses this time next year, as I think that is the big unkown.
Edwardo..... move me!
PeteB

Squiggles wrote: The queueline area looks very nice. And what they've done with the seating area at the front is quite good. I wouldn't say it clashes with Cloud Cuckoo Land, but the signage does look very cheap, and this especially shows where it interacts with the better quality Cloud Cuckoo Land signage, both at the entrance to the area and especially on the Toy Shop, which looks very cheap.
On the subject of signs, I noticed the Ice Age 4D logo on the theatre building itself is actually a flat board, yet N:ST has a 3D sign lol!

Surely it should have been the other way around with IA4D having like an exploding 3D image!  :roll:
Tom G

Disappointing!
Squiggles

PeteB wrote:
On the subject of signs, I noticed the Ice Age 4D logo on the theatre building itself is actually a flat board, yet N:ST has a 3D sign lol!

Surely it should have been the other way around with IA4D having like an exploding 3D image!  :roll:
That thought did pass through my mind as I would stood below/behind the Ice Age sign waiting to enter the theatre.

And the Nemesis Sub-terra sign is actually of a very similar quality, it's a lot more 2D then you might expect (although with some 3D aspects), though I fear that might be for another topic...
Edwardo..... move me!
djtruefitt

I was very impressed with Ice Age. I didnt really know what to expect, but overall I was impressed. The whole area does look fresh and has some life to it now, and it doesnt clash to much with CCL as its cartoony and colourful as well. The queue line however is a bit of a mess, and after the photo point you are just in a big open space, so when the doors open to the cinema its just one big rush to get in.

The inside does look really good, and they have done much more than I thought they might have. The seats were a bit uncomfy but I guess they are cheap, and it means they can fit more people in compared to proper seats.

Overall the movie was good and the effects were also good, some parts even made me jump!

Overall a very good attraction, and I will most certainly be doing it again.
NickT04

Really enjoyed this! Not seen any Ice Age at all before today, the little videos outside were making me laugh and enjoyed the show an effects! Can't believe Pete wants a bigger screen, your just being picky IMO it's ruddy massive!

Definately my preferred 2012 attraction!
Voke

This definitely exceeded my expectations. Great theming and the Theatre really did suit the story well, it seems like all the effects we working in comparison to a certain other 2012 attraction. And it really did leave me gasping in some parts. Let's just hope that it stays like this all season!

One thing though, the holding pen just before you go in the attraction is dire. Especially if it was a hot day. You'd be burning! Apart from that, a great new addition to the Towers!
siralgenon

My review of Ice Age, will add photo's later!

Amazing Attraction! 10/10 - Way better than I expected!!!

The outside looks a LOT better than I thought it would! The 3D Scrat theming and eggs, wall of snow and other re-painted theming looks great! While entering under the 'ice arch' you make your way round to the front doors of the Theatre where you have a green screen photo (This is no longer the entrance to the attraction and has been completely re-designed). From here you, exit via the next door where you are given your 3D glasses. You now are ushered into a waiting area outside where many TV screens show Scrat's adventures.

When entering the Theatre through the side doors I was shocked to see the transformation, you wouldn't believe it was the same theatre, all the walls have an Ice Age scenic background and the columns are now built from snow with huge acorns sticking out! The seating looks excellent and which included vibrations, bumps, and to be honest a good kick up the arse. The leg tickers also gave everyone a good fright and a laugh! The snow, bubbles, ice blasts, and water sprays are excellent and fill the whole Theatre! The film is of a very high quality and it looks great when the lights change colour with the scenes! Shop excellent too!  :D

Just to add, the Ice Age staff were superb today, the nicest most friendly people I have seen on a attraction! So helpful speaking and interacting with the children and adults too! Can't praise the Resort enough for this addition!
Last edited by siralgenon on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyRider

Ice age 4d waaaay exceeded my expectations today, more so than sub-terra dare I say. The theatre looks stunning, inside and out. The timing on all the effects were perfect too as the fans kicked in just before they were needed to spray water/snow etc at the right time, also the leg ticklers were great!

Just as a side note though, did anyone else get this quote off a member of staff in the holding area.."can you please remove your glasses until you are in the theatre due to health & safety issues"?
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.
NickT04

If someone had told me to take my 3D glasses off I'd of just pulled out my 3DS and said "Pah, some of us don't NEED glasses!"

And watch as absolutely no one gets my joke.