Ice Age - The 4-D Experience Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ponder

RustyRider wrote: Just as a side note though, did anyone else get this quote off a member of staff in the holding area.."can you please remove your glasses until you are in the theatre due to health & safety issues"?
This is fairly standard isn't it? I seem to remember a couple of the 3/4D attractions in Orlando offering the same advice.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
DiogoJ42

My guess is that the cheap cardboard glasses have very small lenses and restrict your field of vision.
Altonator

Fantastic attraction well done Merlin :D Was thinking perhaps a Twirling Toadstool retheme in the future with it being so close to the theatre? Great special effects the souvenior pics pretty decent as well :D
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
Poison Tom 96

Altonator wrote: Fantastic attraction well done Merlin :D Was thinking perhaps a Twirling Toadstool retheme in the future with it being so close to the theatre? Great special effects the souvenior pics pretty decent as well :D
Theme it as a giant Acorn maybe?
King Nemesis

Ice age 4D is a great addition to the park. Fun family entertainment and very good and crisp visuals.
Best addition for 2012 in my books and I thank the lords of merlin that no cheap 3D tricks were used.
Overall opinion—can I go on again?
Dave

I liked Ice Age 4D and its a nice attraction and a good upgrade of the dated theater, but its not without problems. 

The first is just inherent of this type of attraction, the film was for obvious reasons hacked to bits to simplify the storyline and cut the run time to about 15-20 minutes, however if you have seen the film, which lets be honest a lot of the young guests wanting to see this attraction will have, they might be left disappointed by the severely truncated film. but as i said this is a minor thing as i know its unavoidable. 

the second issue i had with it was the effects, it was all fairly standard stuff, the snow effect was fine, but apart from that the whole film was just accompanied by a near constant pelting with a fine mist, just felt there could of been more variety of effects just water spay ever few seconds. all that being said the leg ticklers were OK!!

Themeing wise though the exterior looks amazing and i like how they have integrated it into the the area and used the old slurp n burp cafe, but as previously mentioned Twirling Toadstool now looks a little out of place separated from the rest of the area by all the ice age themeing, which is a shame as the toadstools themeing is some of the best in the area!       
Dcarts2412

When i first heard about Ice Age 4D i was thinking hmm, how much of an area clash is this going to be and why do we need a 4D cinema? But experiencing it yesterday i was very impressed - the theming for the entrance of the attraction is good and inside the theatre itself its amazing!

The show itself lasts for 12 minutes with a 5minute time for loading/unloading - i love the snow, water and bubble effects and even the things that hit you on the back of the legs gave me a bit of jump several times! The only thing i think could be improved is waiting to go into the theatre is just a huge huddle and no one really knows what's going on but that's not much of a problem.

Overall i am very impressed with this attraction and i think it is a fantastic addition to CCL
Tom M

siralgenon wrote:
I would like to point out that the 'Scrat' model on the right of this picture also has sound effects. A great touch! :)
ThemeParkObsessive
Location: Probably on TH13TEEN, but if not, watching The Inbetweeners

Is this worth the wait, and is Sub-Terra too? :)

TPO
http://www.facebook.com/UKThemeParkNews
http://www.youtube.com/ThemeParkObsessive

WARNING - I get angry if people say 'THE NEMESIS', 'THE AIR', 'THE OBLIVION', or 'THE RITA'. :@
Pennywise

ThemeParkObsessive wrote: Is this worth the wait, and is Sub-Terra too? :)
Ice Age 4D is unlikely to have a proper 'wait' at any stage of the season, in my opinion. Obviously, there's a chance that you'll need to queue for up to 15 minutes whilst the show before finishes, but the theatre is large enough to swallow up virtually the entire queue, and it is worth that wait, in my opinion.

As for Sub Terra, I'd happily queue as long as half an hour for it, but nothing more. It's really not worth a long queue time due to the short duration of the attraction, even if the entertainment whilst in the line is above par.
Blaze

Regarding queues, Ica Age won't have much of a queue most of the time, but the holding area could do with being covered in case of bad weather. The wait will generally be worth it. As D4n said, a half hour queue for Sub-Terra is fair, which is probably the longest it will get after this season anyway.

Ice Age 4D was superb. The water effects weren't in sync, and I'm guessing it broke down because I was stuck in the holding pen for ages, but the exterior is beautiful, the new seating area is charming, the inside is amazing and the film and effects very good.

Plus I got a picture with Sid.

Superb.
siralgenon

Just regarding the water sprays - The water squirts out from the ceiling a few seconds before the scene so the fans can blow it on to the audience in time with the film.  :)
Blaze

I was getting wet a second or two early. Nothing major. Enough to notice, but not enough to spoil it.
AstroDan

Really enjoyed this! Theming much better than expected.

A good job!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
The Psychoaster

How long is the show?
CoasterCrazyChris

This is definetely a quality attraction, which is undoubtedly better than any previous theatre shows.

The quality of the theming is good overall, but inconsistent. However, Ice Age does not fit the theme of Cloud Cuckoo Land and clashes with nearby attractions.

It's also dissappointing to see the removed theming has not made a reappearance anywhere else in the area.

:)
djtruefitt

The Psychoaster wrote: How long is the show?
12 minutes I think.
Poison Tom 96

djtruefitt wrote:
The Psychoaster wrote: How long is the show?
12 minutes I think.
It is indeed 12 mins but feels longer it is so good
Blaze

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:It's also dissappointing to see the removed theming has not made a reappearance anywhere else in the area.

The one with the seats and flowers? True, but there's now a new one that fits Ice Age.
CoasterCrazyChris

Blaze wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:It's also dissappointing to see the removed theming has not made a reappearance anywhere else in the area.

The one with the seats and flowers? True, but there's now a new one that fits Ice Age.
But does Ice Age work in CCL? I'm not convinced.

Good attraction it may be, but it was built in the wrong park area.