Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Coaster_Dude

I've just got back from visiting the park today and experiencing Sub-Terra since the scare maze was added.

The speakers behind your head were an alright addition, I've heard mention on here that there is supposed to be air blown on your neck, but I certainly didn't feel anything where I was sitting. The smoke in the path from the ride chamber to the exit lifts actually works quite well to obscure where you're going.

The exit lifts were noisier than I remember, which is a good thing, the noise of the compressed air made most people I could see jump.

The scare maze ending still needs work in my opinion, the person I visited the park with today was in a different batch to me (we did single rider) and she said that she heard some of the actors mentioning something to do with looking for the alien, or something along those lines, although my group got told absolutely nothing (we were both in the lift that doesn't get held for longer, so the other lift may have got more exposition), apart from to keep moving.

The soldier in the gas mask bursting into the lift works well, it doesn't make you jump but it really adds tension and gives an ominous feel. The room does feel much bigger than it looks from the outside, and the strobes definitely allow some good scares from the actors, suddenly appearing in your face (and this is the opinion of somebody who hates scare mazes). However, the lack of any real narrative to the ending section makes me feel very similar to how I felt about the whole attraction initially, not really knowing what was going on.

Out of all three versions of the ride I have experienced, at the moment the second version (after changes had been made to the main ride sequence, but before the scare maze was added) is my favourite, but I'm fairly certain that the ending to this most recent version can be made slick, understandable and a suitable finale.
starbugger1303

A bit random, but if anybody's interested here's the script for both pre-show. descent lift and main show.
Welcome to the Phalanx research facility. You are about to enter an underground system, first exposed by a Phalanx research team back in 1994. Something terrible was unearthed. The Nemesis creature. An alien predator from another dimmension. When discovered the enraged creature went berserk,Phalanx immediately mobilised it's extreme security division to pin down and disable it. Since then there have been no further incidences. Recently, Phalanx operatives have broken through into a previously undiscovered cave. Inside they found a nest of eggs, the eggs of the Nemesis creature. The nest it's self is off limits to the general public, as it is an extremely volatile environment. However, a single egg has been removed and made safe for public exhibition. In a moment, the elevator doors in front of you will open to take you down to the central core, where you'll be able to observe the egg. As long as you obey all security directives is absolutely assured, please be aware, that this is a military zone.
When the elevator doors open, proceed quickly along the designated route to your position in the observation chamber. Positions for each group are shown on the screen. While you're in the facility, please touch nothing and obey all safety instructions.
Welcome to the Phalanx Observation Chamber. The egg in front of you was discovered right here, on this very site. It is believed to belong to the legendary Nemesis creature. Our team of scientists have discovered that the egg is very much alive and stable, but dormant. You are perfectly safe. Test shows increasing brainwa....
:)
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siralgenon

starbugger1303 wrote: A bit random, but if anybody's interested here's the script for both pre-show. descent lift and main show.
Welcome to the Phalanx research facility. You are about to enter an underground system, first exposed by a Phalanx research team back in 1994. Something terrible was unearthed. The Nemesis creature. An alien predator from another dimmension. When discovered the enraged creature went berserk,Phalanx immediately mobilised it's extreme security division to pin down and disable it. Since then there have been no further incidences. Recently, Phalanx operatives have broken through into a previously undiscovered cave. Inside they found a nest of eggs, the eggs of the Nemesis creature. The nest it's self is off limits to the general public, as it is an extremely volatile environment. However, a single egg has been removed and made safe for public exhibition. In a moment, the elevator doors in front of you will open to take you down to the central core, where you'll be able to observe the egg. As long as you obey all security directives is absolutely assured, please be aware, that this is a military zone.
"Welcome to Phalanx base, you are now under military juristiction..."
When the elevator doors open, proceed quickly along the designated route to your position in the observation chamber. Positions for each group are shown on the screen. While you're in the facility, please touch nothing and obey all safety instructions.
Welcome to the Phalanx Observation Chamber. The egg in front of you was discovered right here, on this very site. It is believed to belong to the legendary Nemesis creature. Our team of scientists have discovered that the egg is very much alive and stable, but dormant. You are perfectly safe. Test shows increasing brainwa....
You missed a bit out Stevie!  ;)
Last edited by siralgenon on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starbugger1303

siralgenon wrote:
starbugger1303 wrote: A bit random, but if anybody's interested here's the script for both pre-show. descent lift and main show.
"Welcome to Phalanx base, you are now under military juristiction..."
You missed a bit out Stevie!  ;)
Shush, shush ;)
Rollercoasters4Life

Must say, after riding it on Sunday and riding all three versions of Sub Terra (opening day, v1.5 and v2.0) I must say the whole experience seems much more complete in a way. The first lifts have been improved a little although don't seem 100% realistic, the main chamber now is more complete with a run up story and all effects working - the strobes and countdown clocks are a nice touch to make people hurry up. The corridor leading to the exit lifts now has smoke and strobes and the pace is definitely picked up by people now rather than just strolling like before. The exit lift now has the odd air cannon blow off and added smoke effects. The scare maze at the end now just seems to end it on a high and give people a sense of completion.

Also noticed that on Sunday the left side lifts were working fine but the right exit lift was not doing any movement, just the pitch black and smoke if I remember correctly.

I would give Sub Terra now a good 7 or 8 out of 10. A nice addition to Alton Towers and definitely better than a climbing wall! Well done Alton Towers for revisiting the ride and improving upon it.
Krazycoaster

I rode Sub-Terra for the first time on Tuesday and I have to say I was very impressed. After hearing other people's reviews, I was eager to check it out.
The first lifts were great with plenty of rumbling and the actual ride chamber was fantastic. All the effects and lighting were great! The drop itself was fantastic becuase the towers drop at different times and you don't know when you are going to drop. The lower chamber is really well lit and looks excellent. After the ride, the countdown, strobes an smoke adds to the experience and really scared some people. The second lift was even better than the first and got lots of people screaming. The scare maze at the end was a brilliant way to end the ride and most of the people comign off were screaming.
Overall I think Sub-Terra is a fantastic ride and Alton Towers has done a really good job in making is better; I think most reviews are positive now! 9/10
starbugger1303

Sorry, but I forgot to put the Queue line script in my previous post. Here it is..
Access to the Nemesis historical archives has been authorized.Please be aware, that all data held on the Phalanx database is regulated by international data protection protocols. The records you are about to see of the original Nemesis excavation are designated top secret, eyes only. Unauthorized transmission is not permitted, failure to comply is punishable by a mandatory prison sentence. Thank you for observing all safety precautions.

The original Nemesis files vanished under mysterious circumanstances, but copies exist, and Phalanx operatives are resourceful. The images you are seeing prove even when the Nemesis site was first exposed back in 1994, all was not as it seemed.Analysis of the archive footage suggests the agency that first uncovered the Nemesis creature, also discovered something else, a complex system of underground caverns, the same cave system that has recently come under Phalanx control. Back then, the chose to ignore it, they had other things on their minds. "It was found on site by one of the workers, we thought it might mean something?" "Yes it does, it's a warning" "The site was most certainly  home to a life form. An alien life form" "And what would happen when the creature appeared?" "It would feed".
For decades, Phalanx have been delivering tactical security to sensitive research locations across the world. It has access to the latest satellite tracking technology, and boasts a 48 hour response time to any location on the globe. Phalanx is authorized by many international governments to use any reasonable force, to achieve it's objectives.  The facility you are about to enter, is one of Phalanx's most recent acquisitions, and potentially it's most exciting. Phalanx was deployed to this location, when excavations, near the long established Nemesis site, revealed hidden cave systems, extending several kilometers below ground.Recent discoveries at this site have prompted Phalanx to upgrade it's security status to category 1. These discoveries represent an astonishing research opportunity to this and future generations.Safe access is now guaranteed, for both scientific personal and civilian visitors.

The Phalanx survey team are documenting the system of caves, lying beneath the Nemesis site, approximately 27km of tunnel have been explored and mapped. A growing catalog of scientific discoveries is now stored at the facility's central core. The most significant of the these finds have been made accessible to the public, under strictly controlled security conditions. Please remember to obey all safety instructions during your visit to the core. All hazardous material, have been made safe for civilian viewing. 
Just in case any body wanted to learn it. :P
xxTrixxx

Oh my god I am going AT this month hopefully and I just read about the maze and Im SCARED AS HEELLLL!! Do the actors actually touch you, do they shout? lol

She wears short skirts I wear t-shirt's!
Queenmaya99

Hey guys.. I love rides, drop towers etc... but Scare mazes I hate. I want to go on N:ST, however I hate the maze- therefore am strongly reconsidering going on it. I want to go on it, so I was wondering if anyone could actually tell me all about the maze, what goes on and stuff, so its less unexpectedness for me?
Thanks
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

Dingerbell

I haven't ridden it yet but there is a walkthrough from Wikipedia:
Once the lifts doors open riders are greeted by a Phalanx operative; however now they wear a gas mask, are covered in blood and have torches. Those in the left lift are abruptly led out whilst those in the right lift are kept in by another masked actor who lets them out a few minutes later. Riders then enter a strobe maze, very similar to the Terror of the Towers (Scarefest atrraction). Visitors are disorientated as metal fences surround them in the maze; with live actors jumping out from every corner. Air cannons, strobe lighting and loud sound effects simulate the supposed 'decontamination' of the visitors. Riders are then chased out of the ride by a 'rabid' Sub-Terra worker.
Therefore, it sounds quite scary- if these sorts of things are scary to you- but, knowing what's coming up, surely makes it much more tolerable. Read and see what you think :)
BowMan

Around how many actors are there at the end?
Image Thanks to Lewis97
Bunbury

Including the operative who beckons you out of the left, four or five. Two behind the cages, and two who sort of block the path. They're not particularly agressive though. I'm not a scare maze fan, and it scared me just the right amount.
Squiggles

The two behind the cages are the same as the operatives that lead you out of the lifts.
Edwardo..... move me!
BowMan

Thanks. I've been asking lots of questions because I'm very scared about it! :yikes:
Image Thanks to Lewis97
PeteMadden

I haven't been on yet, and won't until mid July.

But it astonishes me how many people actually consider Sub-Terra a 'flop', or 'not thrilling enough'.

Its an extension of the nemesis story, not a completely new one. How can people expect to see multi-millions of pounds invested in an extension? It's there to buzz you for Nemesis, not to provide you with the adrenaline from Nemesis.
ohirome

Hugely impossible I know, but it would have been impressive to exit Sub Terra straight onto Nemesis itself. I can't even begin the imagine how they would do that, but it would be an amazing tie in to the story and make it an incredibly thrilling adventure experience. For the record, I absolutely loved it v2 Sub Terra and feel its a wonderful addition to the parks already strong lineup.
ThemeParkObsessive
Location: Probably on TH13TEEN, but if not, watching The Inbetweeners

Nice to see Terry is getting an improvment, it does look awesome! :)
http://www.facebook.com/UKThemeParkNews
http://www.youtube.com/ThemeParkObsessive

WARNING - I get angry if people say 'THE NEMESIS', 'THE AIR', 'THE OBLIVION', or 'THE RITA'. :@
JayMMayer

Now improvements have been added, many people seem to come of the ride as if they've liked the ride much more than before.

I heard staff asking the man on the exit side of the baggage hold, on the 26th May, what people were saying about Sub-Terra, and the man on baggage replied with news that reviews/feedback was generally positive, and people felt much more 'immersed' in the experience.

The end after the lift really does add to the experience, and the noises coming from that area can be heard quite a distance away!
Last edited by JayMMayer on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W@LLI$

Heyy guys, I have a number of questionS after reading pages 120+

1) What do the actors in the scare maze look like or wear? (I know a stupid question, however I have been told different things)
2) Is the scare maze big? What's the layout? (Like, is it down one straight line or it is like a proper maze maze)
3) How are the actors placed?
4) Are the back-pockers more gentle?

Thanks guys! :)
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Dormiens-Dave

Heyy guys, I have a number of questionS after reading pages 120+

1) What do the actors in the scare maze look like or wear? (I know a stupid question, however I have been told different things)

Phalanx Uniforms with gas masks and bloodied up faces

2) Is the scare maze big? What's the layout? (Like, is it down one straight line or it is like a proper maze maze)

Its the size of a shipping container (and a bit extra), its pretty much a straight line with a bend at the end

3) How are the actors placed?

They come in to the lift then there is wire mesh in the maze some are behind that, usually one is in the corridor

4) Are the back-pockers more gentle?

Not really... they are used more